Global Brain Web

Discussions on general biology and biological evolution, genetics, zoology, ecology, botany, etc.

Global Brain Web

Postby vivian maxine on December 10th, 2016, 9:32 am 

I understand - I think - what "brain web" is but what is a "global brain web". DeHaene asks: "If we can create a conscious percept, can we also destroy it?" He then says "Assuming that the late activation of a global brain web causes all consciousness experiences, then tampering with it should eradicate conscious perception". I am guessing at its meaning but I'd like to hear for certain. What is the significance of the word "global" being added?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Global Brain Web

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 10th, 2016, 5:37 pm 

Hi Vivian,

My guess is that society as a whole has an intelligence quotient. Intelligence is dictated by the number of Neurons, the number of Connections between such, the Speed of information over such and total Memory. The introduction of the Internet in recent times has had to increase the Global Intelligence Quotient dramatically. Almost the total sum of all Knowledge and near instantaneous access and communications at a few key taps on a keyboard. That's got to be one heck of an enormous boost in a gestalt global mind.

Even conflicting global concepts is not any different than your debating with yourself whether or not to eat now or to eat later. The model of a Global Mind and a single Mind obey the same principles.

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby vivian maxine on December 10th, 2016, 5:46 pm 

Dave_Oblad » December 10th, 2016, 4:37 pm wrote:Hi Vivian,

My guess is that society as a whole has an intelligence quotient. Intelligence is dictated by the number of Neurons, the number of Connections between such, the Speed of information over such and total Memory. The introduction of the Internet in recent times has had to increase the Global Intelligence Quotient dramatically. Almost the total sum of all Knowledge and near instantaneous access and communications at a few key taps on a keyboard. That's got to be one heck of an enormous boost in a gestalt global mind.

Even conflicting global concepts is not any different than your debating with yourself whether or not to eat now or to eat later. The model of a Global Mind and a single Mind obey the same principles.

Best wishes,
Dave :^)

All right. I'll read his experiment again tonight and see how it works out with that in mind.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on December 10th, 2016, 8:24 pm 

In neurology, global refers to a wave of activation that spreads across the whole brain. Has nothing to do with a world-spanning group mind.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

neurovivian maxine liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on December 11th, 2016, 5:04 am 

Braininvat » December 10th, 2016, 7:24 pm wrote:In neurology, global refers to a wave of activation that spreads across the whole brain. Has nothing to do with a world-spanning group mind.

About four more pages over, I finally got that. DeHaene called it traveling a long distance - 4 or 5 mm. That's a long distance for sure. Anyway, he is talking about it as loops. Long ones and short ones. It is a section I had to go back and read again.

Thank you for pinpointing it so well. Now he is into "global neuronal workplace". I never knew my brain was so busy.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Biology