Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Discussions on the philosophical foundations, assumptions, and implications of science, including the natural sciences.

Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Postby -1- on August 28th, 2019, 5:31 am 

If matter has existed from infinite past, then entropy is such that it can be reset to a previous state.

If this was not true, the world would be approaching much closer to a fully entropic state than what we experience right now. Or else perhaps we'd be in a fully entropic state.
User avatar
-1-
Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 21 Jul 2018


Re: Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Postby charon on August 28th, 2019, 6:35 am 

Are you saying time is reversible?
charon
Active Member
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: 02 Mar 2011


Re: Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Postby -1- on September 6th, 2019, 5:40 am 

charon » August 28th, 2019, 6:35 am wrote:Are you saying time is reversible?

Why do you ask that? I don't think I said even remotely what you asked if I had said.

No, to answer your question straight, no, I am not saying time is reversible. Not at all.

I said what I wanted to say. It is obvious what I said, and it is obvious what I said is true. But I can't explain why this is so.

"Hypotese non fingo."(Or something to the effect.)
User avatar
-1-
Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 21 Jul 2018


Re: Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Postby charon on September 6th, 2019, 1:13 pm 

-1- » September 6th, 2019, 10:40 am wrote:
charon » August 28th, 2019, 6:35 am wrote:Are you saying time is reversible?

Why do you ask that?


Because if you say entropy can be reset it implies going back in time.


'Entropy is the only quantity in the physical sciences (apart from certain rare interactions in particle physics; see below) that requires a particular direction for time, sometimes called an arrow of time'.



'one can correlate entropy increase with the passage of time. For this system configuration, subsequently, it is an "absolute rule". This rule is based on the fact that all natural processes are irreversible'


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(arrow_of_time)
charon
Active Member
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: 02 Mar 2011


Re: Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Postby -1- on September 8th, 2019, 12:18 am 

Charon, you are absolutely right.

But still, IF (and notice the conditional) matter existed since infinite past, THEN entropy must be complete by now.

But obviously it is not.

So barring that time is reversible, what other explanation do you have for not having entropy complete, IF matter existed since infinite past? I can't come up with a rational explanation, other than the obviously necessary event, that entropy is reset.

If you have a better idea, please present it. I am not saying my idea is perfect; but it is perfect IF matter has existed since infinite past.
User avatar
-1-
Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 21 Jul 2018


Re: Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Postby -1- on September 8th, 2019, 12:24 am 

I mean, look at it this way:

My hypothesis is that if matter has existed since infinite past, then it must have reached an end state of entropy, which it has not; therefore entropy must have got reset to an earlier state of itself.

Proof:

1. Entropy increases with time.
2. Time is infinite in the past.
3. Everything that keeps increasing for infinite iterations or growth, reaches an end state.
4. Therefore if matter has existed since infinite past, entropy has reached an end state.
5. But we are not experiencing living in a world of end state of entropy.
6. This is an event of self-contradiction.
7. There is an event that prevents the self-contradiction from occurring.
8. That event is the resetting of entropy at least once in the history of matter.
9. Or else matter has not existed since infinite past.
10. But our hypotheses said that 9 is not true.
User avatar
-1-
Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 21 Jul 2018


Re: Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Postby charon on September 8th, 2019, 9:11 am 

-1- » September 8th, 2019, 5:18 am wrote:

IF (and notice the conditional) matter existed since infinite past, THEN entropy must be complete by now.


If there was no beginning then there's no end either. If you postulate an infinite past then there must also be an infinite future. Energy can't be created or destroyed. Life or existence isn't going to grind to a halt or disappear in a puff of smoke.

Even if this whole universe eventually dissolves in some way it wouldn't be the total end of everything. There would still be something somewhere.
Last edited by charon on September 8th, 2019, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
charon
Active Member
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: 02 Mar 2011


Re: Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Postby charon on September 8th, 2019, 9:21 am 

-1- » September 8th, 2019, 5:24 am wrote:
if matter has existed since infinite past, then it must have reached an end state of entropy


Same answer. Forms are entropic and disappear, at least to our eyes. It is systems which are entropic, not existence or life as a whole.

That whole isn't a system though it may contain systems, it's something eternal. This isn't a religious point of view. Everything is energy and energy is infinite, which is why it can't be created or destroyed.

There's only one energy although we've divided it into various forms. Those forms are measurable but energy per se isn't. The forms come and go but energy itself doesn't, it's just there and will keep on producing forms ad infinitum.

Or it may not, I don't know :-)
charon
Active Member
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: 02 Mar 2011


Re: Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Postby -1- on September 11th, 2019, 12:17 am 

I assume that (limit of the function) (Entropy of matter(time)) (as time goes from time zero to time infinity) = Infinity

The distance between zero and infinity is the same as between minus infinity and zero.

Therefore entropy must have reached its limit by now. But it has not. So it is reset once, or from time to time.
User avatar
-1-
Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 21 Jul 2018


Re: Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Postby charon on September 11th, 2019, 1:55 am 

Entropy of what?
charon
Active Member
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: 02 Mar 2011


Re: Entropy can be reset to initial or previous state

Postby bangstrom on September 11th, 2019, 5:49 am 

This is Isaac Asimov's classic story "The Last Question" about how the entropy of entropy is reversed.

https://www.multivax.com/last_question.html
bangstrom
Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: 18 Sep 2014



Return to Philosophy of Science

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests