Do elephants exist?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Do elephants exist?

Postby dandelion on August 10th, 2018, 4:07 am 

Mesmerising! Yes, Serpent, really lovely. It was also fascinating to hear arrangements that, as well as admiring such abilities, manage to keep something of what is hoped for as well as add the surprise of a different sort of atmosphere that works so well in a new way- thanks, Reg! The young sir seemed to go his own stylish way in places that was fun too and still really enjoyable! I think I’ll be losing many hours to listening to more and more!

Apologies to the OP particularly considering the discussion about the sad state for elephants.
dandelion

Postby Reg_Prescott on August 10th, 2018, 5:50 am 

dandelion » August 10th, 2018, 5:07 pm wrote:
Apologies to the OP particularly considering the discussion about the sad state for elephants.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=34634&p=339019#p339019

He started it!
Reg_Prescott

Postby BadgerJelly on August 10th, 2018, 7:07 am 

Define “elephant” and “exist” then present the context/s within which you wish us to answer.

I have no trouble saying elephants exist in the common understanding of those words. When it comes to asking about demarcations between elephant and non-elephant, and/or existing and non-existing I am very wary.

The when we consider the word “elephant” above the phenomenon of an elephant things are even more fuzzy depending on how you choose to regard the relationship between words, communal communication, culture and the “raw” phenomenon (the physical experience of “elephant” - be it on TV or riding one through a river.)

No matter the experience of “elephant” the concept of “elephant” is necessarily a shared one that is acute enough to allow to begin to answer the question posed.

Existence is what appears to be the interaction of experience and if I were to get more pedantic I could simply say any experience is existence and existence is experience. Even the hypothetical has experiential substance in the moment.

If this reply doesn’t suffice, or goes beyond the bounds of “lounge” appropriate talk then copy and post in epistemology/anything philiosophy I guess and take me up on it there ... anyway still on holiday and looking forward to telling you about my strange observations.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on August 10th, 2018, 9:13 am 

Snicker.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Reg_Prescott on August 10th, 2018, 9:23 am 

Well, that clears up the moderator thing.

Back to elephants.....

If only it were so easy, eh, chaps?
Reg_Prescott

Postby Reg_Prescott on August 10th, 2018, 9:25 am 

But still not entirely persuaded. Click on my link three or four posts above.

Still works here.

Snicker :)
Reg_Prescott

Postby Braininvat on August 10th, 2018, 9:52 am 

It was badger's comment...

"When it comes to asking about demarcations between elephant and non-elephant, and/or existing and non-existing I am very wary."

....which made me snicker. Wouldn't "elephant" fit nicely with Kripke's direct reference theory, being a rigid designator that applies across all possible worlds? I mean, isn't the demarcation quite clear and obvious?
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on August 12th, 2018, 12:11 pm 

Braininvat » August 10th, 2018, 9:52 pm wrote:It was badger's comment...

"When it comes to asking about demarcations between elephant and non-elephant, and/or existing and non-existing I am very wary."

....which made me snicker. Wouldn't "elephant" fit nicely with Kripke's direct reference theory, being a rigid designator that applies across all possible worlds? I mean, isn't the demarcation quite clear and obvious?

Not to the pedant (aka “philosopher”) :P

In addition the “problem” can be extended to ask what “demarcation” means. Seriously, there is use in taking that route, but in my experience it is generally useless in constrictive dialogue - I tend to keep it to myself because it’s not the kind of territory that can be communally tangible (and now I soudn liek an arse! Haha!)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on August 13th, 2018, 2:49 pm 

https://youtu.be/uLlv_aZjHXc

Some helpful pointers on keeping this thread alive.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby dandelion on August 24th, 2018, 5:34 am 

^ irrelephant!

:)
dandelion

Previous

Return to Lounge Area