An apology from Canada

Anyone can post and discuss breaking news that interest them (please respect posting guidelines and be sure to reference properly).
Forum rules
Please be sure to check our forum's Rules & Guidelines

An apology from Canada

Postby Forest_Dump on June 6th, 2018, 8:56 pm 

I guess no one has formally apologized but honestly I didn't think you Americans were still holding on to that one. So let me just say on behalf of Canada and Britain (since we were still under their rule) I am sorry about burning your big house back in 1814. I admit I have plans for the weekend but if it helps any and prevents a trade war, I can probably round up a couple of guys and a couple buckets of white paint and hop down there to help spruce things up and repair any remaining damage to Trump's place. But frankly, after over 200 years I think it might be time to get over it. Just a thought.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Re: An apology from Canada

Postby toucana on June 7th, 2018, 5:27 am 

Munger.jpg
White House after 1814 fire - George Munger

You may need to add a few more buckets of paint to your supplies Forest_Dump.
The British forces under General Robert Ross also burned down the Capitol during their 26 hour long occupation of Washington DC on 24 August 1814. They burned the Treasury and the War Office as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

Not to be outdone by the army, Rear Admiral Cockburn who was upset at being called a ‘Ruffian’ by the American press had the building of Washington DC’s principal newspaper The Intelligencer torn down, and he also ceremonially destroyed their entire stock of capital ‘C’ letter typeface so they would no longer be able to print his name in any further disrespectful diatribes.

President Madison who had started what was known at the time as ‘Madison’s War’ spent a humilating sojourn in the small town of Brookeville, Montgomery County Maryland which is still known as the ‘United States ‘capital for a day’ before the British invaders were put to flight by a violent hurricane and thunderstorm which also put out the fires they had started and badly damaged most of their ships too. It became known as “the storm that saved Washington".

"Dear God! Is this the weather to which you are accustomed to in this infernal country?" Admiral Cockburn was said to have exclaimed, before riding off on his horse back to his ship.

Fun fact - The British and US governments signed a peace treaty on 24 December 1814 at Ghent in Belgium to put a stop to the nonsense, but it took so long for the news to reach America, that another major battle had been fought and won by the US at the Battle of New Orleans before anyone realised the war had ended.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Serpent on June 7th, 2018, 9:20 am 

Even funner fact: It was retaliation for the American attack on Canada.
That little detail seems to be overlooked whenever the US defends itself against terrists by punishing hapless bystanders.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Watson on June 7th, 2018, 12:17 pm 

I'll help, but no doubt, once we start in on it, it'll be a bigger job than we anticipated.

But if we wait long enough, trump will retell the whole 1812 thingy, and he'll end up painting the whole place, (twice). Just wait for the idiot to spout on about how great he is....and hand him a brush.

....who hasn't got over it? Did trump say something dum that I missed? I do get most braking news from here. Thanks for that.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Forest_Dump on June 7th, 2018, 4:39 pm 

My little bit of fun sprang from a phone call between Trump and Trudeau. While talking about the tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum Trump said "well you guys did burn down the White House." See toucana's post for details on the history. Of course my thought was "yeah but his ancestors weren't on this side of the Atlantic at the time." It might have been intended as a it of a joke but no one has opined that AFAIK.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on June 7th, 2018, 5:53 pm 

Watson » June 7th, 2018, 11:17 am wrote:I'll help, but no doubt, once we start in on it, it'll be a bigger job than we anticipated.

Yeah, got to drain it first.
Did trump say something dum that I missed? I do get most braking news from here. Thanks for that
His tariff on Canadian steel and aluminum is for "national security". Evidently, he's afraid we'll hide little tiny Syrian refugees in crates of flatware.
Quite frankly, I was thinking of shipping him Doug Ford as a trimester present...
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Watson on June 7th, 2018, 8:14 pm 

Haha, I just watched it on Late Night with Stephen Colbert...........online. hence the time delay. My second place to get Whyte House news. But going in blind, and I still called it? trump saying stupid stuff that is. Ya the obvious
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Return to News Discussion Forum