Joe Kennedy vs Trump: who would win?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Joe Kennedy vs Trump: who would win?

Postby Asparagus on January 31st, 2018, 10:10 am 

Joe Kennedy is young, not overflowing with charisma. He reaches out to Latinos, but I don't think that's ultimately going to do much for him. Latinos don't vote as a block. Trump wouldn't have won without the Latino support he received. My wild guess is that they'll vote for him again. Thoughts?

Asparagus

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Joe Kennedy vs Trump: who would win?

Postby Braininvat on January 31st, 2018, 10:46 am 

It's early days. JFK's grandson did a good job expressing the idealism of the party, but I would look for someone a bit more seasoned to implement in 2020....Booker, Gillibrand, Warren, or Hickenlooper (the only prospect who has appeared in a Vonnegut novel).

I haven't looked at polls (of the MLV variety) for Latinos, but I could imagine some erosion from Trump's base there due to his steady drumbeat of bigotry and his clear devotion to his oligarch buddies. Also, his stated intentions toward El Salvadorans in the refugee program. And his inclusion of Latin American nations in his infamous "shithole" remarks to the gang of six. Whatever Trump really meant, his optics were terrible there. And then there's that 30 ft. idée fixe of his....
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Braininvat on January 31st, 2018, 11:02 am 

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... for-obama/

Hillary Clinton won 66% of Latino voters on Election Day, according to updated National Election Pool exit poll data, a level of Democratic support similar to 2008, when 67% of Hispanics backed Barack Obama. However, Clinton’s share of the Latino vote was lower than in 2012, when 71% of Latinos voted to re-elect Obama.

While Clinton underperformed among Latinos compared with 2012, Republican Donald Trump won 28% of the Latino vote, a similar share to 2012, when Mitt Romney won 27%, and to 2008, when John McCain won 31%, according to exit polls. (It is important to note that the national exit poll is a survey with an overall margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points for the national result.)

On immigration issues, 68% of Hispanic voters opposed building a wall along the entire U.S. border with Mexico, compared with 46% of whites and 82% of blacks, according to NBC News exit polls. When asked about unauthorized immigrants, 78% of Hispanic voters said they should be offered a chance to apply for legal status, compared with 67% of whites and 82% of blacks. Overall, 46% of Hispanics cited the economy as the most important issue facing the country, followed by terrorism (20%), immigration (19%) and foreign policy (11%).

. (from article appearing in late 2016)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Asparagus on January 31st, 2018, 11:08 am 

Braininvat wrote: or Hickenlooper (the only prospect who has appeared in a Vonnegut novel).

I bumped my head while laughing at this. I need a helmet.

Doesn't Bernie have a grandson?
Asparagus

Postby Braininvat on January 31st, 2018, 2:21 pm 

It (the Hickenlooper reference) starts on p. 172 of the edition of "Timequake" that I have here. Apparently, KV had John Hickenlooper's father as a college roommate when he attended Cornell, and then meets the son in a microbrewery when he's visiting Denver - a lot of the book contains autobiographical material like this. Hickenlooper seems to be a solid choice, a smart Democrat in a purple state where he is adept at reaching across the aisle and forging bipartisan initiatives - and he seems to have relatively little baggage. And he makes good beer. For me, just the ability to make good beer and appear in a Vonnegut book are sufficient reason to consider him for high office.

Keep your helmet on in 2020! :-)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Asparagus on January 31st, 2018, 2:42 pm 

Braininvat » January 31st, 2018, 2:21 pm wrote:It (the Hickenlooper reference) starts on p. 172 of the edition of "Timequake" that I have here. Apparently, KV had John Hickenlooper's father as a college roommate when he attended Cornell, and then meets the son in a microbrewery when he's visiting Denver - a lot of the book contains autobiographical material like this. Hickenlooper seems to be a solid choice, a smart Democrat in a purple state where he is adept at reaching across the aisle and forging bipartisan initiatives - and he seems to have relatively little baggage. And he makes good beer. For me, just the ability to make good beer and appear in a Vonnegut book are sufficient reason to consider him for high office.

Keep your helmet on in 2020! :-)

I don't think we could go wrong voting for a Vonnegut character. :D
Asparagus

Return to Lounge Area