Stereotypes....

Not quite philosophy discussions, debates, various thought experiments and other topics of interest.

Stereotypes....

Postby ScatteredMind1535 on November 10th, 2015, 1:43 pm 

I have a dilemma. Should tattoos and piercing make you a drug dealer, a thug, or criminal? Just like people see minorities. Like the black guy that walks into a store with a beanie? Or the Latino community. I don't see how human beings can be so ignorant. Everyday you hear of people pointing people out as being "That type of person" As a person with many tattoos and piercings I think this is absolutely absurd. If you have an opinion about this let me know. People need to stop being so shallow and ignorant. We are people just the same as you.We only stand out more.
ScatteredMind1535

Re: Stereotypes....

Postby Alan314 on November 19th, 2015, 9:26 am 

I couldn’t agree more, the problem with a large percentage of the population is that they have had years of classical learning, by family and society, to make instant assumptions. It is a throwback to survival instincts, that if something is different from yourself, or group, then it must be a threat and dangerous. Unfortunately it is a long educational process to get people to actually think for themselves and not to categories people in a negative manner and to actually see each person for who they actually are. The old saying still rings true “Never judge a book by its cover”.
Alan314

Re: Stereotypes....

Postby scottchat on December 9th, 2015, 4:04 pm 

People who look different than us, can scare us. If you look sketchy most people will avoid you. Can you blame them? If you want to draw attention to yourself you have to brave the consequences especially if that that attention has a negative connotation. If you've chosen to be different don't expect to be treated the same as everyone else - maybe not a bad thing.
scottchat

Return to Odds & Ends