Robotic bugs set to invade the battlefield

Discussions related to engineering and its applications. From civil and mechanical to aeronautic and robotics, etc.

Robotic bugs set to invade the battlefield

Postby Fausto Intilla on May 4th, 2008, 1:42 pm 

A swarm of robotic insects is being developed for the military to hunt down enemy fighters in buildings and caves, carry mini bombs and identify chemical, nuclear or biological weapons.
LINK: http://electronicsandrobotic.blogspot.c ... field.html
Fausto Intilla

Postby jshort on May 4th, 2008, 1:51 pm 

Wow, pretty creepy. Smart too
jshort

Postby Removed user on May 4th, 2008, 5:31 pm 

A few years back I picked up an electronics degree for the fun of it as I thought it would be neat to be able to repair my own TV, etc. I soon realized that my paradigm was still that of the 60s and vacuum tubes. There is so much miniaturization and integration in electronic circuitry today that there is very little repair to be done other than the replacing of modules.

However, even our finest electronics pale in comparison to the biological; no surprise here as we have been actively working with electricity only a couple hundred years, whereas living systems have been evolving for billions. It still amazes me to see complex mating behavior coming from a fly that can barely be seen by the naked eye.

That said, electronic miniaturization is proceeding by leaps and bounds. Things have gotten so small in the field of microprocessors that quantum fluctuations are now being explored as a means to store data. The word “bug” probably has more senses and referents any other in the language; it looks like one more might soon be added to the list. I can easily see one soldier saying to another in a few years time, “OK, send in the bugs.”
Removed user

Postby jshort on May 4th, 2008, 5:35 pm 

Metis wrote:I can easily see one soldier saying to another in a few years time, “OK, send in the bugs.”

I agree, but it sounds like something from a horror movie.
jshort

Return to Engineering & Electronics