Hate to be the noob writing about geers but...

Discussions related to engineering and its applications. From civil and mechanical to aeronautic and robotics, etc.

Hate to be the noob writing about geers but...

Postby THE Hamster guy on January 16th, 2008, 5:01 pm 

Ok I don't need insulted I just need a little help for once.
--- Prologue---
I've been scrolling along from forum to forum looking for someone
to tell me How a system of Gears works
I get the concept already, small tooth to large tooth making the large one slow but
I need more then that unfortunately. I've tried 3D Modeling programs but they help me 0%.
I need to know the SMALLEST working chain of Gears that will Be used at full force with 300,000 pounds.
I don't expect anyone who reads this to do Everything for me I just want to know how to.
THE Hamster guy

Postby Removed user on January 17th, 2008, 2:53 am 

If you are not just creating a theoretical gear train then I would say that this depends a lot on the shear strength of the material used to make the gears as well as the structure of the gears themselves.
Removed user

Postby minime on January 24th, 2008, 11:18 pm 

Hamster, My curiosity is aroused, what will the application be, what type of gears do you want? When you say small how small do you want?
minime

Postby Heron on January 31st, 2008, 1:31 pm 

How is the load translated to the gear?
What type of gear drive is it linear or rotational?
What is the max input torque? Gear reduction will play a big part in the size of the gear system.
There is simply not enough information here to tell you anything.
It depends on the contract area of the gear teeth, material the gears are made of, how much gear reduction is needed, and how the load is translated to the engaged teeth.
Heron

Return to Engineering & Electronics