Innovative Gadgets & Gizmos

Discussions related to engineering and its applications. From civil and mechanical to aeronautic and robotics, etc.

Innovative Gadgets & Gizmos

Postby Darby on March 8th, 2015, 12:09 pm 

Thought I'd kick off a thread for people to post and discuss clever and innovative gadgets & gizmos.

I'll start things off with the BioLite Stove, which uses thermoelectric circuity to generate a small amount of power that does 2 things:

(1) Drive a small fan that improves combustion efficiency, and thereby improves heat output while reducing carbon emissions.

(2) Generates 2w to a USB port, for charging small devices like cellphones or small L-Ion power pods, etc.

Seems very clever and ecofriendly. Dunno how water/moisture resistant and durable it is, but clever none the less.

I look forward to seeing how products like this evolve and improve as thermoelectric technology improves.
Darby

Re: Innovative Gadgets & Gizmos

Postby Darby on March 10th, 2015, 5:39 am 

They recently released a new product called the BaseCamp, which is a bit larger, generates more power, and can double as both a grill and a stove.

I might actually buy one sometime this spring for backyard use, because I've always been somewhat disappointed with the fuel inefficiency of my weber, which needs a large chimney (sometimes 1 1/2) of charcoal just to grill a few burgers. With the BaseCamp, I should be able to do almost the same with only a quarter chimney, possibly less. Definitely not for party use though (I can tell from the design that it wont be able to put a good hard sear on a lot of meat at once, like most webers can) ... no, I'd limit it to just occasional weeknight cooking for 2.

And for blackout use, rather than charging my phone I think it'd make more sense to charge something larger and more practical, like a 15000 mAh USB power bank. I already have pair of pair of 55 Ah marine batteries for use with small appliances and medical equipment, so a small power bank would be ideal for things like cellphones, without the need to sit your cellphone in the dirt.
Darby

Postby Dave_C on March 10th, 2015, 10:20 am 

Dave_C

Postby Darby on March 10th, 2015, 10:31 am 

More of a firework than an innovative practical gizmo, but still pretty amazing to watch.
Darby

Postby TheVat on March 10th, 2015, 1:04 pm 

I've found that FEWER gadgets in my life is the ultimate ecofriendly option. Factories don't have to consume the energy and mine the materials to produce them, fossil fuels don't have to be burned to transport them to me, and I don't have to plug them in.

While I'm playfully being the devil's advocate here, let me offer an example: power saws. I cut most of my lumber, pvc, metal, etc. with hand saws. If you have enough (I'm up to 10), and keep them sharp and clean, you can find one that will work almost as quickly as a power saw. The time you save not hunting for an extension cord and outlet and wrangling all the cordage, fiddling with the safety features, getting a face mask on because power saws hurl dust everywhere, correcting miscuts because the power saw cuts so rapidly ergo goes astray so rapidly.....tends to make up for the slower rate of cutting. The handsawn cuts are precise, less burring and splinters, and you can always see what you're doing as you follow a line. If you are cutting near some obstacle, the absence of a large motor housing and blade cage, makes it much easier to cut close to said obstacle. You don't get "kickback," either. You also, generally speaking, are allowed to retain all of your fingers. IOW, pre-20th century technology still has some worthwhile features.

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled Early Adopter Orgy!
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Darby on March 10th, 2015, 1:28 pm 

I'm with you ... since burying my parents, I've learned to live a lot leaner, and I'm actively shedding stuff from older hobbies I've burnt out on, or am no longer able to do. My wife's possessions outnumber mine by more than 3:1. If fact, of our 5 bedrooms, fully four are filled wall to wall (and in some cases half way to the ceiling) with her stuff. She's borderline on hoarding disorder.

Back on topic.
Darby

Postby Darby on July 15th, 2015, 11:29 am 

It's finally almost here ... I've been expecting this for a long time now.

Non-invasive device could end daily finger pricking for people with diabetes

No more annoying little pricks {re: fingertip lancets}.
Darby

Postby zetreque on July 16th, 2015, 10:14 pm 

Woah, Watch out New Horizons, we have a better way to launch your successor.

I'm with Brain. I'm really trying to work on essentialism.

When I was a walking handiman I found I could fix almost anything with a pair of adjustable pliers and a interchangeable screw driver. Coat hangers were also another tool that you can't seem to live without. When things got serious I might have to get the flatbar hammer multimeter or hacksaw. Pliers work great as a makeshift socket set. :)

On the other hand, the dayshift guys would need a truck to carry all their tools around the property and take 20 times longer to get things done.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Darby on July 28th, 2015, 3:16 pm 

3D Matrix memory is almost here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33675734

{bitchslaps Moore's Law detractors}
Darby

Postby zetreque on July 28th, 2015, 5:14 pm 

Look up the memristor. It is suppose to change everything.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby TheVat on July 31st, 2015, 7:01 pm 

http://www.cnet.com/news/man-shoots-dow ... ver-house/

One more form of privacy invasion - his daughters were sunbathing at the time. It all seems a bit creepy. Where's an EMP gun when you need one?

(Darby, I see now we had parallel postings on 3D Xpoint, so I trashed my thread in computer forum. I can see it fits fine over here.)
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Darby on July 31st, 2015, 8:04 pm 

I would have handled that incident a little differently.

See, first I would have first used my smartphone to video the drone tresspassing, then grabbed a fishing pole or a handful of twine, approached from behind, and then captured it. Then I would have pointed my face into the camera (with my cellphone in view recording the proceedings), and said that I was confiscating it, and that if they want it back they should identify themselves with a notarized letter ... but that as soon as they did I'd subsequently have my attorney serve them papers charging them with tresspassing, illegal wiretapping, and whatever other relevant legal goodness my attorney friends could cook up. I'd then politely notify the police of having done so, and file a police report with the same charges. If mysterious vandalism of my property commenced, I'd get the serial number off the drone, and ask the police to obtain a court order to locate the owners.

Never start a fight, but always finish it.
Darby

Postby Marshall on August 18th, 2015, 1:41 pm 

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08 ... 33998.html

board will hover over a conducting surface like sheet metal (which can be coated so it doesn't look like metal)
and support rider's weight. contains liquid nitrogen. the video shows rider doing tricks
Marshall

Postby Darby on August 19th, 2015, 2:13 am 

Today's interesting innovative tech tidbit concerns an advance in computer hard drives:

Intel Optane Drives (using 3D Xpoint technology) scheduled for market release 2016, and at least 7x faster than current drives.
Darby

Postby Darby on August 19th, 2015, 2:54 pm 

Oh, and another interesting innovative tidbit in the realm of environmental sciences, this one involving carbon sequestration tech.

Turning Atmospheric CO2 into Strong Lightweight Carbon Fibers

Looks very promising, and efficient because the molten lithium carbonate appears to be a self-regenerating byproduct of the process, which runs off a molten lithium carbonate solar concentrator setup. Since several such plants already exist, I'm looking forward to seeing them test out the described process.
Darby

Postby Darby on August 24th, 2015, 1:58 pm 

Major progress reported on Universal Flu Vaccine.
Darby

Postby Grady on July 5th, 2016, 1:56 pm 

I figured out how to make and use a WORKING time travel device!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grady

Postby TheVat on July 5th, 2016, 2:22 pm 

What's the trifecta in the 2nd race tomorrow at Fonner Park?
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Return to Engineering & Electronics