Robot to drive in California traffic

Discussions related to engineering and its applications. From civil and mechanical to aeronautic and robotics, etc.

Robot to drive in California traffic

Postby lucretiaX on February 23rd, 2006, 3:30 pm 

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/14/robo ... a-traffic/

Those brave roboticists from Stanford University have decided to tackle the final automotive frontier - commuting. The robotics group whose autonomous VW Touareg, Stanley (pictured), won the DARPA Grand Challenge desert race last year, are building a car that will drive itself at highway speeds from San Francisco City hall to downtown Los Angeles in October 2007.

Professor Sebastian Thrun, the director of the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Lab, and one of the sparkplugs of the DARPA Grand Challenge project, envisions robotic cars driving commuters to work, perhaps within the next five to ten years.

The as yet unnamed SF/LA car, probably a VW Passat wagon, will have a human co-driver, who will be able to override the robotic pilot in much the same way as we take over from our cars' cruise control systems.[/img]
lucretiaX

Postby Sisyphus on April 11th, 2008, 1:11 pm 

The robot cars are here at work today. They are pretty cool. I talked to a guy from Standford. He said they got second place. Carnegie Mellon University got first.
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (60)

Postby Luhan Monat on April 11th, 2008, 4:22 pm 

I lived in Los Angeles for about a year before I went to get a California drivers license. When they handed me the written test, it asked "any history of mental illness?". After driving in LA for a year, I thought maybe this was a requirement.

Although interesting technologically, I doubt that robot cars will be practical in the near future. Humans are good at some things, computers at others. It is extraordinarily difficult to make machines that do things that we (ah, er, humans), do so routinely.
Luhan Monat

Return to Engineering & Electronics