Seeding moons or planets with life.

Discussions ranging from space technology, near-earth and solar system missions, to efforts to understand the large-scale structure of the cosmos.

Re: Seeding moons or planets with life.

Postby Biosapien on September 7th, 2018, 1:39 am 

Event Horizon » September 5th, 2018, 6:55 am wrote:Let's look at a simple reality. All life on Earth will dead. This is inevitable. We will need a new home.
Some people say, no. Life should be die out. Should that prevails, there is only futility and folly in our endeavours.
And who gave us the right to arbitrarily condemn what could be the only life in the universe to oblivion there is.
We can't terraform planets, but nature can. We need to prepare candidate planets which will take millions years to prepare, and some of those will fail.

At least using my way holds a chance for us and other organisms to survive.
The alternative is all life is condemned to die. To my mind, we can and should persue the development of alternatives, and a select by debate what organisms to freeze for deployment.
And just a nod to the nay-sayers I hear your "do nothing" cry, but I am fundamentally opposed.

Life may be the most precious thing tn the universe. Letting it all die for misguided or arbitrary reasons is neither reasonable or rational and offends me as a scientist.

I appreciate your thoughts on saving life and finding a new planet as HOME. I just want to ask you one simple question. Since you aware of death will you introduce a stranger (who is charming, young and good looking) to your wife as a new husband or to your children as a new father. The reason why I specifically ask this question is because after your death who is going to take care of them or safe their life.

"Moral of the story is don't try to act like a god". Every creature has its own limitation and being a human don't pollute and destroy this world with your new concepts/technology/science.
Biosapien

Postby Event Horizon on September 8th, 2018, 1:52 pm 

I understand. All I am saying is we have to make a choise. Do we attempt to find life a new home, or do we let it die.

If we decide to preserve what life we can, we have to start talking about it. We have to think in terms of effects we make and how long it would take to produce a habitable planet. Its long range planning that requires action now.

It's far from playing God. God has nothing to do with this. It's called saving "Gods'" ass if God is the metric.

Doing nothing condemns every last living thing to oblivion.
Event Horizon

Postby Biosapien on September 10th, 2018, 12:30 am 

Event Horizon » September 9th, 2018, 12:22 am wrote:I understand. All I am saying is we have to make a choise. Do we attempt to find life a new home, or do we let it die.

If we decide to preserve what life we can, we have to start talking about it. We have to think in terms of effects we make and how long it would take to produce a habitable planet. Its long range planning that requires action now.

It's far from playing God. God has nothing to do with this. It's called saving "Gods'" ass if God is the metric.

Doing nothing condemns every last living thing to oblivion.

"Good luck with your search" - Hope the planet you find as a HOME will not obliterate before earth.
Biosapien

Postby Event Horizon on September 12th, 2018, 7:02 pm 

People should take this seriously. It's not a theory. Its reality. It makes me sad that people are too selfish even to save themselves. Good luck y'all. You condemn your offspring. Glad you're cool with that.
Event Horizon

Previous

Return to Astronomy & Cosmology