3D Space Maps

Discussions ranging from space technology, near-earth and solar system missions, to efforts to understand the large-scale structure of the cosmos.

3D Space Maps

Postby zetreque on April 29th, 2018, 3:15 pm 

Map Of One Billion Stars Could Revolutionize Our Understanding of Space
By Yasmeen Fakhro on Thu, 26 Apr 2018

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/space/map-of-one-billion-stars-could-revolutionize-our-understanding-of-space/

Would be cool if they could put this into a free software program so we could visually fly through a 3d environment checking out the star systems. Some day our entire planet and the space beyond it will be in a 3d world that we can travel around like a virtual game on our computers. I'm happy with the old fashion computer monitor approach for now but I'm sure this will be in a tactile 3d goggle world too eventually.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: 3D Space Maps

Postby mitchellmckain on April 29th, 2018, 9:39 pm 

Sounds like my simulator relspace. But you know that while we only have information about a small fraction of stars we also have a lot of information about groupings of stars like stellar clusters and galaxies. Also, while we have information about many extra-solar planets, it is a very small fraction of what is out there. So the way relspace handled this was to use whatever information you gave it in a data file and made up the rest with fixed seed random number generation.

Though... my simulator did something else. It also shows what it is like to travel at relativistic speeds. And then there were black holes (and neutron stars) in the program and the distortions of light you would see around them.

Another program that does first part is called Celestia. But there are other cool things which it does which mine does not.

Though, now that I reread your post and think about, perhaps you man something made for VR. It didn't occur to me at first because although I very much prefer my games to be 3D, I don't really care about VR.
mitchellmckain

Postby hyksos on April 30th, 2018, 3:20 am 

hyksos

Postby hyksos on April 30th, 2018, 3:42 am 

hyksos

Postby Cals1955 on June 26th, 2018, 5:25 am 

The new Gaia 3D map of the night sky has 1.7 billion stars in it
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/4/26/17281640/gaia-3d-map-milky-way-sky-map
Cals1955
Forum Neophyte

Return to Astronomy & Cosmology