Can we live without technology?

General philosophy discussions. If you are not sure where to place your thread, please post it here. Share favorite quotes, discuss philosophers, and other topics.

Postby Newagemystic on October 28th, 2011, 3:24 pm 

Can we honestly live without technology again? Maybe some of us, but I would think the majority of the population (in the countries that have become tech users at least) would not be able to make this transition easily. We (myself included) have become technology dependent, so much that we often fail to realize it. Could we endure the summers heat without air conditioning? Or the winters cold without heat? More over could we adapt to a world without electricity? I don't think I could. I'm miserable in hot or cold weather. What about your car? I would not want to have to walk everywhere I need to. And who could go for more than a week without a phone? Let's face it, we take technology for granted. Yes it makes our life easier, but I question if we really could live without all technology offers us. Risky, perhaps. In the case of suddenly not being able to use technology happening, it is risky indeed.
Newagemystic

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Can we live without technology?

Postby Paralith on October 28th, 2011, 3:41 pm 

You said in the other thread that something I posted proved your point. Could you explain that for me?

Individual people who are dependent on (especially medical) technology to survive, would of course probably not survive if the world were suddenly deprived of electricity. (And oil, and coal, and anything else we could burn to power machines.) But as I said previously, I would have little worry for our species as a whole. We existed without modern technology for much longer than we have existed with it. And, Newagemystic, if you had to walk a distance to get your food and water, or else die of dehydration, I think you would. I think you might even be less worried about sweating in the summer when you're more worried about starving. Many people would not be one bit happy, but would do what they had to in order to survive. Unless you really think that depriving everyone of their cell phones would actually drive them to mass suicide.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Likes received:53
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Newagemystic on October 28th, 2011, 3:56 pm 

We often don't realize how dependent on technology we are. As I see it, if we did we would not argue that we'd be fine without it. And we take technology for granted. Perhaps I should be asking how well and how fast we could adjust to not having technology rather than if we could live without it, but then, I see the questions as basically the same.
Newagemystic

Postby çağla on October 28th, 2011, 4:01 pm 

I think human beings can adapt to almost any kind of circumstances as long as it's possible to survive.

Unless you really think that depriving everyone of their cell phones would actually drive them to mass suicide.

Ha ha! Para, have you observed any group of teenagers lately?
çağla

Postby Paralith on October 28th, 2011, 4:18 pm 

Newagemystic wrote:We often don't realize how dependent on technology we are. As I see it, if we did we would not argue that we'd be fine without it.

I'm not saying we'd be "fine." I don't think anyone would describe such a post-apocalyptic world as "fine." I'm saying we would live, which is what your OP asks about. I would bitch and moan and weep and wail with the best of them, I'm sure, but I would do what I had to in order to live. I may love my cell phone, but I think I love being alive at least a little bit more.

cagla - we'll just tell the teenagers that they'll build loads of character. ;)

edit: To be slightly more serious, I want to make it clear I'm not saying a lot of people wouldn't die who otherwise could have survived. Loss of vaccines, antibiotics, and access to hygienic conditions alone would bring mortality rates up rather sharply, especially for small children and the elderly. And that's definitely not "fine." But people will die from injury and sickness, not from pining after their iPads.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby Newagemystic on October 28th, 2011, 4:25 pm 

çağla wrote:I think human beings can adapt to almost any kind of circumstances as long as it's possible to survive.

At what cost?

Unless you really think that depriving everyone of their cell phones would actually drive them to mass suicide.

Not all can ajust so quickly.

Ha ha! Para, have you observed any group of teenagers lately?

How quickly would you be able to ajust? No technology means hunting and gathering on a daily basis to eat. Starting a fire with just sticks and timber, if you want to eat s cooked meal. And being able to go where food is, tracking, foraging, and preparing food with no technology isnt easy. This is just one example, there are many more. Think about the question, then answer yes?
Newagemystic

Postby CanadysPeak on October 28th, 2011, 6:14 pm 

Almost any life we can imagine involves technology at some level. Using a stone knife requires the technology to make that knife. Twisting gut into string to tie furs together for clothing is technology, as is any sort of tanning to make the furs supple enough to wear. I doubt we can even conceive of zero technology, let alone answer that question, save in theory.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Likes received:22

Postby Newagemystic on October 28th, 2011, 6:49 pm 

All right, let me rephrase since you all seem to be taking my question literally. How fast could we adapt if we suddenly had to start over with technology, say world war 3 happened and erased all our years of technological advancement? Leaving us with only very basic tools.
Newagemystic

Postby CanadysPeak on October 28th, 2011, 7:47 pm 

Newagemystic wrote:All right, let me rephrase since you all seem to be taking my question literally. How fast could we adapt if we suddenly had to start over with technology, say world war 3 happened and erased all our years of technological advancement? Leaving us with only very basic tools.

In general, not fast enough. If you wipe out technology, there goes agriculture. You're left with wild grains, fruit, and wild meat. There are peoples who retain enough knowledge to live off those food supplies, but there go Europeans and most mainland Asians and most Africans. Who would ever figure out, for example, how much animal fat to eat in time to avoid extinction? We'd likely wind up with a few hundred thousand First People, Maoris, Bedouins, Baswara, Australian Aborigine, and whoever I've forgotten. The planet would have a diminished gene pool but would likely be better off.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby Newagemystic on October 28th, 2011, 9:43 pm 

Agreed, very little people could ajust quickly enough and we may be better off without technology. Thank you
Newagemystic

Postby edy420 on October 28th, 2011, 11:04 pm 

Newagemystic wrote:All right, let me rephrase since you all seem to be taking my question literally. How fast could we adapt if we suddenly had to start over with technology, say world war 3 happened and erased all our years of technological advancement? Leaving us with only very basic tools.

I have trouble figuring out the grey picture your trying to paint for us :P

I think you mean can we live without computer/electrical technology?

Of course we can :)
Although life would be extremely different to the way we live now.
I don't think that kind of life would at all, be worse off, compared to the way we make use of such technology, but it would be very different and maybe not quite as efficient.
Sure an iphone makes it easier to contact the person on the other side of the classroom, but walking over or yelling out works well too.

Lets say we all ditched our computers, phones and T.Vs etc, then we'd probably just do something else, like develop other technologies, play real music using instruments, sing songs and play with our kids :)
Comparing the differences, I ask, can we live with computer/electrical technology?
edy420

Likes received:4

Postby çağla on October 29th, 2011, 5:52 am 

Newagemystic,

Thinking over again.

Couple of years ago BBC Focus entertained a fantastical scenario in an issue, in reverse sense of yours, which told what would’ve happen, if humans were disappeared from the face of the earth just like that, from the day one to 20 billion years later.

Now if you reverse that scenario, the picture could be a tiny bit more optimistic, but in a post-nuclear apocalypse scenario -which already sets parameters with more extreme- apart from what Para said about elders, children and unhealthy people dying, there would be certain bloodshed, rape, murder, upraising and no order. Absolute chaos everywhere.

“At what cost?” and “How quickly?” are very huge and wide questions and would change according to a given cause of the loss of the technology.

Technology being wiped out, doesn’t just mean the technology we need to survive is gone. It also occupies people’s whole life as work and entertainment. The whole system is gradually built and developed on that. Obviously we actually need a few things to just survive, but human is more complicated than that. Well, we have become more complicated than that. (May be, this is actually your main point thinking on “at what cost”?)

We’re dependent on many things we actually don’t need. In any scenario, I would be afraid of human ineraction in general more than the basic skills to survive.
Who is going to stop whom from doing whatever they want? Can you control people without any defense mechanism they would be afraid of?

So technology is more than just making our lives possible, easy and comfortable. It’s bigger and stronger than that. It’s a huge net of compromise, occupation, accomplishment, distraction… Sad, it’s bigger than us, isn’t it?

Otherwise I assume -generally speaking- soldiers would survive. A few strong, fit, healthy, probably trained people. And that’s actually worse. The strong would be able to do whatever they want to any other under an extreme situation like this.

I don’t mean just something basic along the lines of ‘homo homini lupus’. I mean an easy situation of killl or die would ocur.

[There is a movie called “28 Days Later”. Now I know it’s just a movie and a zombie one at that, -Happy Halloween!- but the second half of that movie shows a good real point what could happen when everything we built and invented to rely on is unusable. The story uses a fantasy element to provide a sudden, extreme measures, but it in the end whatever the cause is, when human is concerned, it’s sensible to me.]
çağla

Postby spiritualfriend on October 29th, 2011, 6:17 am 

I think because most of us who were and have been born in the days of technology have become dependant on all of this technology and take it for granted. We, Us, They don't know any different because we have never had to live without technology.

It would be different for the Old Cave Man in the Cave Man days and Dinosaurs. He had to live with whatever he was given and survived having to hunt and fight off dangerous predators that tried to hunt him out in the wild. He had to use his survival instincts and resources on hand that the Earth has put here for all of us to use. We the people that live in nowadays have never had to really survive in the true sense of the meaning, because everything is on tap, and we have never had to use our survival instincts in the true sense therefore almost making some of us incapable of knowing how to survive if we were left with no technology at all. Our ignorance would probably kill us in the end.

Spiritual Friend
spiritualfriend
Forum Neophyte

Postby Paralith on October 29th, 2011, 8:18 am 

Hmm. Newagemystic, I guess I'm still not clear on what you mean by loss of technology. Or perhaps, I'm just a little surprised at the turn around. Losing cell phones and air conditioning is one thing. But losing all ability to farm? To grow food plants at all? To keep food animals at all? What happened, did the smart-bombs target all our seeds and all our cows and spread salt all over our croplands? Everyone keeps talking about taking our technology for granted; but it's also easy to forget, unless you take a road trip across the United States, how much of the square area of this country is farmland. Arable land. If we got seeds and dirt we can farm. And as long as this disaster didn't also specifically target all the grocery stores and food storage warehouses and silos, there will be some stuff left for us to live on while we get our farms up and running.

If we lost electricity and gas, then the things that make modern farming as efficient as they are would be lost, and we'd be back to using muscle power, and probably we couldn't generate enough food to support the entire current population of our planet (assuming that whatever disaster befell us managed to miss all the people). It would certainly not be pleasant. We would suffer from my previously mentioned problems with disease and injury, there wouldn't be enough food for everyone so some people would probably starve, and as cagla mentioned without any overriding force making everyone behave, those who are best able to (forcibly, I'm sure) monopolize what food there is would likely reign supreme. I'm sure there would be all sorts of atrocities.

But I maintain my previous statement that, as a species, humans would persist. Many people individuals may die in the process but as long as there are people around, and resources of some kind available, humans would survive. It won't be "fine" but it will happen.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby Fuqin on October 29th, 2011, 9:10 am 

Candy:- and whoever I've forgotten
. me ,me, me can i be one of the survivors :)

But seriously there are too many hypothetical variables involve, like can we restore the essential technology’s [ agriculture as has been mentioned sounds simple but I doubt it] , what is the ratio between population and restorable technology , how quickly can basic infrastructure be restored I.e. the delivery of water via irrigation , the manufacture of pesticides and fertilizers , this in order to feed a large surviving population , without food we would probably see a wave of cannibalism never known in human history with possibly some very bizarre cultural change for the survivors , forget authority too they are depend on technology also , It’s just my opinion but I think things would very quickly turn to 5#!+, look what happens after disasters where help is wanting , looting and pillaging, imagine these types with the realisation that help is never coming , OOHHH yes very nasty , civilisation is an illusion.

EDIT
Oh I nearly forgot the OP
can we live without technology

sure can, I did it myself for nearly a year hunter gatherer style, well I did have a fishing rod tent and a machete access to clean running water and the capacity to make fire but no one had showed me how to survive, hunger is a great teacher and motivator it’s doable for anyone with a bit of tenacity , I didn’t really enjoy myself far from it I did nothing but look for food all day long and was pretty much uncomfortable continuously , but doable no the less.
Fuqin
Resident Member

Postby CanadysPeak on October 29th, 2011, 9:26 am 

Paralith wrote:Hmm. Newagemystic, I guess I'm still not clear on what you mean by loss of technology. Or perhaps, I'm just a little surprised at the turn around. Losing cell phones and air conditioning is one thing. But losing all ability to farm? To grow food plants at all? To keep food animals at all? What happened, did the smart-bombs target all our seeds and all our cows and spread salt all over our croplands? Everyone keeps talking about taking our technology for granted; but it's also easy to forget, unless you take a road trip across the United States, how much of the square area of this country is farmland. Arable land. If we got seeds and dirt we can farm. And as long as this disaster didn't also specifically target all the grocery stores and food storage warehouses and silos, there will be some stuff left for us to live on while we get our farms up and running.

If we lost electricity and gas, then the things that make modern farming as efficient as they are would be lost, and we'd be back to using muscle power, and probably we couldn't generate enough food to support the entire current population of our planet (assuming that whatever disaster befell us managed to miss all the people). It would certainly not be pleasant. We would suffer from my previously mentioned problems with disease and injury, there wouldn't be enough food for everyone so some people would probably starve, and as cagla mentioned without any overriding force making everyone behave, those who are best able to (forcibly, I'm sure) monopolize what food there is would likely reign supreme. I'm sure there would be all sorts of atrocities.

But I maintain my previous statement that, as a species, humans would persist. Many people individuals may die in the process but as long as there are people around, and resources of some kind available, humans would survive. It won't be "fine" but it will happen.

Paralith,

I can farm. I assume you can farm. However, most people in the US don't even know which in which phase of the moon one has to plant sphagettio-O's in order to grow sphagetti bushes. The knowledge is largely lost, save in books (I assume that if there's no technology, there are no books, no Kindles, etc).

On a more serious note, much of the domesticated seed stock is gone. We largely grow hybrid crops these days and the seeds (if they even exist) are a bit like mules - pleasant not not very fertile. Wheat still exists and could be brought back. Corn is likely gone. Rice I don't know. The big question is the number of generations required to reinvent that sort of agriculture; I suspect the population would have a half-life of perhaps three or four months in the absence of technology.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby Forest_Dump on October 29th, 2011, 9:32 am 

Without technology, we wouldn't even be able to chop up a rotting deer. Technology (i.e., stone tool technology) has been around longer than what we think are humans. My point here is that it is not a simplistic question of whether or not technology is good. It is about different kinds of technology, how they are used and how they are controlled. For an introduction on this I would still recommend Ursula Franklin's "The Real World of Technology".
Forest_Dump
Forum Moderator

Likes received:5

Postby çağla on October 29th, 2011, 11:18 am 

I agree on Drifter's way of taking the subject, because I think the excess use of technology should be the real point here.

Trying to imagining a "loss of technology" as a result of any catastrophy, doesn't provide a suitable base for an argument regarding the negative effects of technology and doesn't go further than a Hollywood movie or a vivid halloween theme.

And I don't understand the sentiment of "we are better off with technology". We definetly are not. I observe as much as everyone how the life has been taken over by the senseless consumation of technology. In this case the problem is mainly about the 'culture' we humans created with the technology, not the technology itself.

If the idea of living without technology is the wishful thinking of returning to the primitive life to build an undestructive, responsible, peaceful life, it should be remembered that that life would require a very far advanced and an opposite understanding of life and culture than we've had through history.

We are species with egos, a strong will to make themselves real. We arrived this point by trying to make things easier. This is determined by our will of survival in the first place, isn't it? It can't be reversed. Even one day, if we fell in to a horrible situation like we tried to picture earlier, in the required time we would arrive the same point.

This of course never means that we should let the technology be bigger than us. But everything is the part fo the learning process, isn't it?.
çağla

Postby Newagemystic on October 29th, 2011, 3:09 pm 

Ok for those that are still unsure, let me clarify. No technology isn't meant to be taken literally. What I mean is: could we adapt to a world where we suddenly couldn't make use of any kind of machine? Anything that requires more advancement then say making a stone knife? (if it requires more technology than making the knife then it no longer can be used)(very basic tool) If you need any further clarification I'm afraid I can't be much more plain.
Newagemystic

Postby Paralith on October 29th, 2011, 3:14 pm 

Canadys - I guess what you and Newagemystic are envisioning is something that I just find totally unrealistic. I mean, like Forest says, if you really mean all forms of technology not allowed, we wouldn't even be able to use rocks and sticks as tools. And yea, if you're talking about a state where we have to bodily tackle deer and gnaw them to death in order to get meat, yea ok, humans wouldn't do very well. But that's just ridiculous. Where there is stuff to work with, humans will work with it.

Edit: Newagemystic posted the above as I was writing this. In which case I certainly don't see why humans as a species couldn't make it. With casualties? Of course. But would we survive? Yes we would.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby CanadysPeak on October 29th, 2011, 7:26 pm 

Paralith wrote:Canadys - I guess what you and Newagemystic are envisioning is something that I just find totally unrealistic. I mean, like Forest says, if you really mean all forms of technology not allowed, we wouldn't even be able to use rocks and sticks as tools. And yea, if you're talking about a state where we have to bodily tackle deer and gnaw them to death in order to get meat, yea ok, humans wouldn't do very well. But that's just ridiculous. Where there is stuff to work with, humans will work with it.

Edit: Newagemystic posted the above as I was writing this. In which case I certainly don't see why humans as a species couldn't make it. With casualties? Of course. But would we survive? Yes we would.

It is unrealistic, but that was the posited scenario. If Newagemystic means, for example, post-Faraday technology, he has only to qualify the question.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby çağla on October 30th, 2011, 4:16 am 

Newagemystic wrote:Ok for those that are still unsure, let me clarify. No technology isn't meant to be taken literally. What I mean is: could we adapt to a world where we suddenly couldn't make use of any kind of machine? Anything that requires more advancement then say making a stone knife? (if it requires more technology than making the knife then it no longer can be used)(very basic tool) If you need any further clarification I'm afraid I can't be much more plain.

From your posts in general, I thought the sudden "loss of technology" idea was a step to make the point of what technology has become today. I guess, that's what made you think that it would be better, if it was gone.

The point is, whatever the given circumstances, -as I first stated, if it's 'possible'- human would survive, but it this doesn't change the fact that the species would arrive to the same position again in required time.
çağla

Postby CanadysPeak on October 30th, 2011, 8:57 am 

It's really impossible to sort out a question as vague and tenuous as this. For example, does pounding feces into deer hides with a round rock count as more advanced than "stone tools" or less?

If there's something you want to discuss, please ask it.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby Forest_Dump on October 30th, 2011, 11:58 am 

çağla wrote:human would survive, but it this doesn't change the fact that the species would arrive to the same position again in required time.

Actually, believe it or not but this is actually not necessarily the case or even all that likely in some ways. There is certainly a fairly long standing myth that technology (and other aspects of culture) follows a kind of teleological path towards some kind of progress that would be defined in terms of some kind of efficiency. In fact, studies of technology show that, like in broader evolutionary terms, as much or more of the direction of technology is influenced by other factors that are part of the environment broadly writ. So the direction technological advances have taken in the past have been influenced by many aspects of philosophical and or religious trends of the times, all kinds of politics such as highly protected economic markets that literally forced different nations, etc., to devise their own means to solving common problem like inventing or revising common ideas in their own unique ways (think, for example, about how different countries came up with different kinds and styles of weapons). You even get things like this within countries (e.g., the US navy devising their own nuclear power systems). Even aesthetics plays a role with examples like styles of airplanes and jets that were argued to be more efficient but discarded because they just didn't look right. Of course you even get examples like the Beta vs.VHS competition which had little to do efficiency and just simply different economic and marketing strategies. So my point is that, like in biological evolution, if we rewound the clock to any point in the past, chances are that the evolution of technology would have followed a different track depending on any number of chance changes.
Forest_Dump
Forum Moderator

Postby CanadysPeak on October 30th, 2011, 2:43 pm 

Forest,

I take your point. There are too many variables in human evolution, technological evolution, and random chance to say that humankind would arrive at the sme point. If the gods give Mt. Vesuvius to the Assyrians instead of to the Romans, do we ever get the cement to build the Three Gorges Dam? It's all too speculative.

But, the question could not have been about rewinding the clock. If so, that question has long been answered. Of course humankind survived without technology beyond what they had. There were people who survived with only stone tools. There were people who survived with only bronze tools. And, so on and so on. I take the question to be whether the people alive today could survive, were we to have only stone tools.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby Forest_Dump on October 30th, 2011, 6:34 pm 

CanadysPeak wrote:I take the question to be whether the people alive today could survive, were we to have only stone tools.

Well not in the same numbers. And infant mortality rates would go back up and life expectancy would go back down. Plus we would have to give up a lot of things like computers, TVs etc.
Forest_Dump
Forum Moderator

Postby Fuqin on October 30th, 2011, 9:18 pm 

candy :-I take the question to be whether the people alive today could survive

It actually raises some interesting questions I think,
Has technology or is technology going to replace our instincts I think it’s a no brainer that as far as nurture is concerned we’ve lost all kinds of survival skills , but how much of our instincts (nature ) have we lost in isolation from nature , if I may illustrate, I spend a lot of time in national parks and wilderness areas , I prefer the company of trees basically , in any case many years ago I took some friends of mine camping to a national park (a surfing safari you might call it ) we had already set up tent under the canopy of some costal tea trees Leptospermum laevigatum and were sitting in a clearing setting up our fishing gear when I heard rain approaching, so I moved myself under the canopy , my friends just sat there and continued setting up ,then the rain hit them and only then did they move, I asked them why they didn’t move before the rain hit them and they just looked at be strangely and said Quoat:-” how are you supposed to know it’s going to rain before it rains?” I told them you can hear it hitting the tree tops as it approaches it gets louder; anyway lack of experience basically I guess, but I have to wonder how much more we have lost in isolation, mind you I’m a real innocent when it comes to reading people, and quiet often get burnt by the cunning of others, so maybe our instincts for our environment have been simply devoted to social interactions, sorry for the waffling it’s been a slow week.
Fuqin
Resident Member

Postby çağla on October 31st, 2011, 5:48 am 

Forest,

By "would arrive to the same position", I didn't mean strictly to the same technology, with the same style and development.

The kind of the loss of technology that can leave us with stone tools, would also change back how the societies evolved through history in means of power, politics, law, social class. Remember there is no history or accumulation of any knowledge at this point. I think it is safe to say that this would be initiated with primitiive forms of individualism again, which is the most basic seed of free thinking, inquiry, development, freedom.

May be it will sound too Comte to you, but it's highly likely that human will have gone through similar steps to earn some basic rights, form of governments and regimes.

We'll always have to feed, protect, look after people, count them, control them to prevent violence and mantain a balance. This fact will need a system, and that syatem will require divison of jobs, distribution of power which will create different classes with different cultures.

As the whole knowledge is lost, being an intelligent curious animal, human will try to make sense of the world and itself again. There are going to be wars and chaos and sooner or later, following a different routes or a million detours, we will probably arrive a similar point in making our lives, better, comfortable and easy to live.

I realised what we have been actually discussing here is directly connected with the definition(s) of “civilisation” more than ‘what is technology’ or ‘which technology’ did what to us.

What is civilisation?

Is it the total sum of human development? Is it something what we already had/have or is it a level we should reach to?

Is it a way or a form of life ‘peculiar’ to a few places on the planet? (I am using the word ‘peculiar’ here, because we have been talking about how we have more than we could consume –and how this destroys us- but majority of the world doesn’t even have what they need. )
çağla

Postby Newagemystic on October 31st, 2011, 11:55 am 

Ok, I've been reading the responses and found most of you agree that humans would survive without advanced technology. However, most of you seem to agree that there would be casualties. I tend to agree. However, I also tend to think that this kind of sudden change runs a risk of destroying humans. Many reasons could account for this. The tendency for humans to look out forselves first when a catastrophe happens. True, some people show "heroism" under these conditions; but lets face it, life isnt a movie where this would change the minds of everyone. Maybe I'm just feeling a little cynical today :(
Newagemystic

Postby çağla on November 2nd, 2011, 3:34 am 

Fuqin wrote: Has technology or is technology going to replace our instincts I think it’s a no brainer that as far as nurture is concerned we’ve lost all kinds of survival skills , but how much of our instincts (nature ) have we lost in isolation from nature ...

Technology doesn't replace our instincts. Nor it's possible for us to lose our survival skills as a result of technology.

The situation you are describing with your friends can not be taken as an example to make a cocnclusion of the sort. If the difference of your behaviour is based on you being around trees more than others, when they are forced to be around trees they would likely develop the same reflex in short time. Besides, I doubt it's even related to inctincts. Getting wet is not a threatening situation.

Our strong instincts are not something we learned just thousands of years ago and used it before we had technology.

If we HAVE to, we are certainly able to kill for our survival or protection very easily as much as we can. What that technology produced though, is a culture, a delusional aspect of ourselves that makes it almost impossible for us to imagine we are just animals.

The fact that we might be unsuccessful in given situation is another matter. That doesn't mean technology made us lose our instincts and rendered as vulnerable. Any similar situations have already been lived billions of times in the millions of years of our evolution.
çağla

Next

Return to Anything Philosophy