The life of 3.1416

Philosophical, mathematical and computational logic, linguistics, formal argument, game theory, fallacies, paradoxes, puzzles and other related issues.

The life of 3.1416

Postby Event Horizon on March 20th, 2018, 1:14 am 

I have noticed that Pi seems to turn up all over mathematics, from the volume of a football to Professor Hawkings Hawking radiation formula, and thousands of other formula equally disparate.

To me it seems over-represented, and I'm not really sure why this should be. As maths are concerned, I am the Event Horizon beyond which all information is lost! My pocket calculator, actually a very advanced calculator gets me out of all kinds of trouble. I was looking at the Pi button and thinking, 'what the blazes makes you so darn important? The jumped-up little number really gets about. I do find it rather curious. Heehe! A slut among numbers?!!
Event Horizon

Re: The life of 3.1416

Postby Watson on March 20th, 2018, 11:22 am 

It is probably not really necessary to start a thread for every amusing thought you have. Try doodling.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Re: The life of 3.1416

Postby TheVat on March 20th, 2018, 11:54 am 

It is useful to know that SEARCH function will turn up some pretty good threads we've had on pi - and it's okay to revive a long-dormant thread. Pi is pretty important to the way basic forces work in our universe, given how it describes volumes of space. It has a starring role in Einstein's field equations at the heart of General Relativity, where his famous coupling constant....

8(pi)G/c4

....teams up with the stress-energy tensor to reveal how the energy density of space causes a curvature of spacetime (expressed by the Ricci curvature tensor, which describes a pseudo-Riemannian manifold, i.e. shows how space deviates from the purely Euclidean space of Ike Newton).
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Return to Logic