Common Sense. Does it exist?

Philosophical, mathematical and computational logic, linguistics, formal argument, game theory, fallacies, paradoxes, puzzles and other related issues.

Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby xme on May 10th, 2010, 1:16 pm 

Is there such a thing as common sense?
xme
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby CanadysPeak on May 10th, 2010, 3:15 pm 

xme wrote:Is there such a thing as common sense?


If you mean "sound judgement in practical matters", yes. I've known many people with that.
CanadysPeak
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby wolfhnd on May 10th, 2010, 3:34 pm 

Please offer a definition.

Seems that the term common sense has different meanings to different people. In general if you mean the innate ability to solve problems without experience or education then I would say it is very limited. Humans are technological creatures starting with the first tools of stone and bone and totally dependent on the technology of agriculture now. Our survival at least at the current population levels is totally dependent on technology being pasted from generation to generation.

What most people think of as common sense is actually acquired through experience and training. From the moment we are born we learn from our environment and the people we come into contact with. What may feel like innate abilities are most likely what we have learned but the source of those experiences have been forgotten. That humans have instincts like other animals is self evident. That there would be an instinct that tells you how to change a flat tire seems absurd. How much of the problem solving ability required to change a flat tire is instinctual is a long and complex discussion best left to the behavioral science folks.

It is important to remember that the instincts that allow us to experience the world and interact in it are the foundation on which all learning takes place. viewtopic.php?f=108&t=15489
wolfhnd
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby xme on May 10th, 2010, 5:08 pm 

Well, the things you say are right but,,

be creative come up with funny ideas :P
xme
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby xme on May 10th, 2010, 5:14 pm 

wolfhnd wrote:Please offer a definition.


by common sense i mean common logic,, i know that is not right to kill, you know that too,,
or i know that fire is hot, you know that too, but why are some that still try to see if fire is hot
xme
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby owleye on May 10th, 2010, 9:33 pm 

xme wrote:
wolfhnd wrote:Please offer a definition.


by common sense i mean common logic,, i know that is not right to kill, you know that too,,
or i know that fire is hot, you know that too, but why are some that still try to see if fire is hot


Seems like you're bringing in some heavy machinery by regarding common sense as common logic. Based on your next sentence, however, I suspect you are not using 'logic' the way most of us would. In any case, let me offer a possibly different understanding of what 'common sense' means. What I believe it means is a collection of truths that are generally held in common by ordinary folks who've managed to make it far enough in life to have acquired some degree of maturity from their experiences (some of which could include experiences in a classroom, were it considered part of a common experience). While this may involve truths that are (nearly) universal, say if they involve child rearing or tragedy, there may be a category of truths where the commonality of these experiences reflects to some degree the kind of social grouping one find's oneself in.

Notwithstanding this, it is easy to find fault by way of claiming that so-and-so lacks common sense, when, for example, they put their finger into a electrical outlet. But if one has never learned this, say in the event they are only 6 or 7 years old, it seems harsh. At what point should we have learned this?

James
owleye
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby Volunen on February 3rd, 2011, 4:37 pm 

Common sense-the ability of humans/other being's way of using explainable matter/anti-matter/existence/anti-existence based on the knowledge and feeling of the situations/matter/existence/anti-existence/relatives of the existence

*It is common because it is what the human usually encounters and uses
*It is sense because to do these abilities, one must use one's feelings and feedback and then the other reactions to do something
*One can create common sense, store common sense, or reform common sense
*It does exist and it can be reformed just like any energy set (s).
Volunen
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby Forest_Dump on February 3rd, 2011, 5:34 pm 

I always liked Einstein's definition of common sense: "the sum total of the biases and prejudices accumulated by age 30."
User avatar
Forest_Dump
Resident Member
 
Posts: 8719
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Location: Great Lakes Region


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby kensavvy on February 13th, 2011, 7:53 am 

xme wrote:Is there such a thing as common sense?


Common sense

'Common'
Belonging equally to or shared equally by two or more.
Of or relating to the community as a whole.

'Sense'
Any of the faculties by which stimuli from outside he body are received, as the faculties of hearing, sight, smell, touch, taste.

Knowledge is gained through the five senses of the body. Knowledge belonging equally to or shared equally by two or more people could be referred to as common sense. But I think 'common sense', is the knowledge that is agreed upon or shared equally by all human beings. The community as a whole is made up of all human beings and not just some or a few. The knowledge that we all commonly agree upon and that we have all commonly gained through our senses could be classed as common sensed knowledge. Examples of this knowledge is, we need clean air, water, nutrients, and the right kind of attention for our continued survival and not much else.
kensavvy
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby Iolo on February 13th, 2011, 11:17 am 

'Common sense' means knowing what ideas are held by those in power in a particular society and never challenging them becaue it might get you hurt. The difficulty is that so many people do it automatically and shout or laugh down those who prefer thinking.
Iolo
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby mywordsyourthoughts on October 11th, 2011, 8:00 pm 

If common sense is what you say, learned from experiences, what is to say that there is a distinct differece between common sense and knowledge? How might someone obtain knowledge other than exeriences? Even if these experiences are simplified to the mere moments at which a book is read or a fact is heard? Wouldit be safe to say that common sense is merely a subdivision of knowledge because those things that humans feel are "common sense" are simply the events in a typical human life that are experienced by most and more often than other facts of life?
mywordsyourthoughts
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby mywordsyourthoughts on October 11th, 2011, 8:01 pm 

difference*
mywordsyourthoughts
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby Eclogite on October 13th, 2011, 5:42 am 

Common sense is remarkably uncommon. If you think about it you will realise that that is just common sense.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1362
Joined: 07 Feb 2007
Location: Around and about


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby spiritualfriend on October 14th, 2011, 12:37 am 

Hello fellow philosophers, here is my view on this topic. I feel common sense has to be learnt. If you think about from the time we are born, through infancy and till the time we are teenagers, we are always experimenting in life to obtain a cause and reaction stimulation. A toddler would run across a road and not even be aware of the dangers involved in doing that, and Parents are constantly on guard teaching their infants common sense. I have three children, so I know that this is true.

Once children have been taught enough common sense their senses begin to change because they are aware of danger, and logic sets in. As Adults we start to differentiate what we have been taught as Children into an Adult world and use our learnt behaviours to guide us. Logic is also reasoning, to be logical means to know how to reason and we learn that through experience.

Our innate ability to sense things, using our senses that we are born with, sight, hearing, touch, smell etc. also guides our logic and ability to function in that sense. So I believe common sense is a taught behaviour based on our inherent ability to sense our world around us.

Spiritual Friend
spiritualfriend
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby cindythompson on October 18th, 2011, 10:52 pm 

It’s the ability to comprehend simple things that obviously shows the fact. (own point of view).>_>
cindythompson
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby ruweenj on December 14th, 2011, 11:40 am 

common sense is a form of knowledge derivied from experience and reason. so no there is no such thing as common sense. common sense is merely a form of knowledge
ruweenj
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby PhisicsKid94 on December 14th, 2011, 10:26 pm 

xme wrote:
wolfhnd wrote:Please offer a definition.


by common sense i mean common logic,, i know that is not right to kill, you know that too,,
or i know that fire is hot, you know that too, but why are some that still try to see if fire is hot



Well in the sense of your example the problem of testing if the fire is hot is the human innate nature to test and experience things for ourselves. for example you parent could say "don't stay out past curfew" and yet the 16 year old in question in uncountably test the statement at least once to see if it is true. The exceptions of the example is that in the developmental stages children to young adult we learn that certain sources are safe and correct like teachers and parents. the realization age is different but it happens. Thus making what the parents say the 16 year old accepts as the law. We are a curious species the critical thinking and trying new things is what has brought the human race to experiment and use tools.

So there is common sense but it changes by the environment the person in question lives. someone whose lives in New york knows how to hail a cap at an early age. On the other hand a person who lives in Texas knows how to shoot a gun at an early age. also the socially aspect needs to be a counted for. The social group also affect what a person knows. A farmer knows how to drive heavy machinery and business man know how to use spread sheets. Thus they teach there children different skills. so the definition of common sense to you could be different to someone else. so yes common sense or logic due exist it is just that the definition changes and we as human beings long to try new things along with our curiousness that make it hard us to see if it is there at all. I a sure you that it is there. For all the common sense is a compiling of experiences and fact a person knows.
PhisicsKid94
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby Louis_B on December 15th, 2011, 4:24 am 

IMO common sense exists. Its just common sense really!
Louis_B
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby alphacentauri on December 24th, 2011, 5:52 pm 

I think common sense is just describing reasoning that is common in humans. It doesn't really physically exists...more like a virtual thing.
alphacentauri
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby Laconic Lethality on December 28th, 2011, 8:23 pm 

I hope I am striking close to xme's original meaning with this post. Chiefly, there are theories dealing with common sense from a leadership perspective, and it is easy to see the rise and fall of common sense through the madness of crowds.

Common theory 1: people have no common sense and cannot be trusted. After all, people were senseless enough to crucify Jesus, vote Hitler into office, fall into mass obesity, et cetera. Ergo, common sense must be a mere figure of speech.

Common theory 2: persons have sense because they are intelligent and complex beings. Individual humans are responsible for building cities, inventing computers, discovering electricity, and painting the sistine chapel. Therefore, humans have some sort of inherent sense.

Both theories are somewhat true, as masses are often erroneous in their judgement, and intellectuals have the potential to contribute greatly to society. Perhaps this is what is meant in questioning common sense.
Laconic Lethality
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby Benzie on January 11th, 2012, 8:57 pm 

Put my bets on it existing as some form of intuitive reasoning

(if reasoning can be intuitive)
Benzie
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby Fredd on February 19th, 2012, 5:51 am 

Forest_Dump wrote:I always liked Einstein's definition of common sense: "the sum total of the biases and prejudices accumulated by age 30."


I really like this quote better than the one on various quote sites: ""Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." I wonder which is closer to the original.
Fredd
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby What? on December 18th, 2013, 2:37 am 

xme wrote:
wolfhnd wrote:Please offer a definition.


by common sense i mean common logic,, i know that is not right to kill, you know that too,,
or i know that fire is hot, you know that too, but why are some that still try to see if fire is hot


If there is none of the common sense to which it seems to me that you refer, then I would say that everyone is always and only talking past each other, and this without knowing it. But, then, I would say that there would be no possibility even of apparent agreement, even of whether two apples is specifically two of them, or what time to meet for dinner, or whether the daytime is brighter than the night.

But, now I'm wondering if you mean to pose a more comprehensive question than whether anyone can ever agree on anything. My answer to the more comprehensive question would only begin by going through a short set of examples of the universality of subjective variance in human perception. Consider the three sets of blue shapes below, with one of them as a bicycle-and-rider, another as a face with a pointy nose, and the third as a bird eating a seed.


o<o_______ o<o_______ o<o



They're all the same exact set of shapes. That's just a tiny hint at common logic. A bike tour.

.

.


.
What?
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby Lumen on August 4th, 2014, 2:53 pm 

To address several posts:
Groups crusifying Jesus Christ and electing Hitler...To quote a vapid sorce, "Men In Black,". "A Person is smart; people are stupid." At a U in Texas a group of students stabbed a random horse to death in a random field. And who has EVER gone cow tipping alone?
Second, no one addressed the inherited (inate) ability to make good judgements. Note studies of identical twins separated at birth that live almost identicle lives.
Third, don't assume people know things such as fire is hot. One third grader I know, of average intelligence, although reading several times a paragraph about a man warming himself by a fire insisted the man must be cooking. I finally surmised the boy had never been near fire, which he confirmed. When I lit a match and let him hold his hand above it for the first time he discovered that fire is hot.
Fourth intelligence and common sence often move away from each other on a tangent. A man visiting a lab declared, "I have never seen so many smart, stupid people."
I took a roommate in college who was a genius sailing. I could have single handed the craft using the hiking stick, but I let her take the tiller as I thought it would be fun for her while I raised the sail, telling her to keep it facing into the wind. As the craft turned and the sail began to luff violent I shouted, " Face it into the wind!"
"Which way is the wind blowing?"
"Look at the flag!" I answered.
"Why?" she queried. So I had to explain if you looked at the flag and the pole the wind is coming from the side of the pole where the flag is not.
I have a couple other examples but I'm sure you are weary of my post by now.

In summary, I've met some stupid people with great common sence. Sometimes they call it 'street smarts.' I have also seen smart people with common sence. Some is inherited, some learned from care- givers, and some just sevival. I think it is also influenced by which side of the brain is dominent.
In short, yes I believe there is common sence!
Lumen
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby Kanigula on May 17th, 2015, 12:46 am 

I don't think that saying that some people have common sense and others don't make a good case to prove that common sense exists. We all have different degrees of knowledge on how to proceed in life in a rational way.
That difference is what makes it uncommon.

On the other hand, common sense as a concept to explain that same difference between individuals can be
Interpreted the same way as: SAME and DIFFERENT.

We're all DIFFERENT, and in that matter it makes us all the SAME.

We all have different common sense, so it's not something that we really have in common.
Kanigula
 


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby Dave_Oblad on May 17th, 2015, 7:06 am 

Hi all,

True.. common sense varies with complexity so different folks could have different views. But you don't tell a Gorilla where it can or can't sleep. You don't glue your mouth and nose shut. You don't prove you can fly by jumping off a cliff naked. You don't skydive without a parachute for a once in a lifetime thrill.

Unless you are suicidal, then these actions make perfect sense.

Regards,
Dave :^)
User avatar
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member
 
Posts: 3228
Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Blog: View Blog (2)
TheVat liked this post


Re: Common Sense. Does it exist?

Postby pency on April 16th, 2016, 1:20 am 

Common sense is just from what you have got from the society. Its the sense of the society, drinking alcohol is a common sense but making accident is not a common sense. Thats the difference. It takes 18 years for us to grasp these things from the society. Common sense exist in the human society and even if the society thinks that it doesnt needs it, then it will take some time to come back. Common sense have moulded us in the pottery shop. Common sense are the hands moulding our character or way of life.Well common sense does exist and will exist. It is the sense or data base got from the childhood by personal experience like fire and its effects, speed and its effects and a baby learns this speed effect after having fallen down because of moving fastly. These databases are stored in the brain and provides as common sense.So common sense does exist and must exist for the well ness of the society.
pency
 



Return to Logic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests