US President Cancels Denmark Visit

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

US President Cancels Denmark Visit

Postby toucana on August 21st, 2019, 1:27 pm 

'US president cancels state visit to Denmark because it won't sell him Greenland.'
It sounds like a headline from The Onion satirical website or The Day Today. But no. This has just actually happened.

https://news.sky.com/story/greenland-row-is-there-another-explanation-for-donald-trumps-denmark-no-show-11790670

Oddly enough it is not the first time for a US president to ponder purchasing Greenland.

American leaders from President Jackson in the early nineteenth century to Truman in the 1940s have floated the idea of getting their hands on the territory and its mineral wealth.

In 1867 the US really did purchase the territory of Alaska from the Russian Empire during the presidency of Andrew Johnson. Secretary of State William Seward negotiated the deal with Russian minister Eduard de Stoeckl for a price of just $7.2 million. Opponents ridiculed the purchase as ‘Sewards folly’ or ‘Sewards icebox’ at the time. It was only in hindsight that it came to be a seen as a shrewd piece of real-estate business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Purchase

But until the idea somehow entered President Trump's brain mid-August, no one had proposed purchasing Greenland for decades.

The president has now taken the extraordinary step of cancelling a state visit because his hosts had the temerity to rule out a proposal that has been dead and buried since the end of the Second World War.

A number of explanations are on offer as to why this has all happened right now:

The Danish prime minister called Trump's proposal 'absurd'. Other politicians in Denmark have gone further saying it is a sign of his madness. He does not like criticism. So in a fit of pique he calls off his visit.

The president reportedly does not like travel. He has plenty lined up in coming weeks, so it suits him to scratch one fixture off the list.

It is the G7 summit at the end of the week. The president likes to stir things up ahead of such gatherings to unsettle other world leaders whose company he does not seem to enjoy. This is more of the same.

The US stock markets have been tumbling. The president needs a distraction.

Barack Obama, Mr Trump's arch nemesis is also going to Denmark next month a few weeks later. He is popular there unlike Mr Trump. The crowds and adulation he is likely to receive may be an awkward contrast to the protests and controversy likely to welcome Mr Trump.

Obama's trip was announced two days before Mr Trump first raised the Greenland purchase idea. Did he do so knowing it would be rejected giving him an excuse to call off his visit to Denmark?
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: US President Cancels Denmark Visit

Postby Serpent on August 21st, 2019, 2:59 pm 

Naw. It would have been simpler, in all those scenarios, except the first one, to not plan such a visit in the first place. It's definitely the snit. Pique is his default position.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on August 21st, 2019, 4:39 pm 

Given Trump's propensity for ignoring treaties and the nuances of foreign policy generally, I'm pleasantly surprised he restrained himself from proposing to grab Greenland the old-fashioned way.

There is something surreally funny about a foreign policy tactic that can be summed up as "you sell me some of your territory or I won't come to tea." Yeah, 2014 me, if he'd gotten a text from 2019 me, would probably think 2019 me was just making up preposterous nonsense to avoid time paradoxes.

Before this whole story broke five days ago, Obama had already, as it happens, scheduled a visit to Denmark. Perhaps Trump realized that, given Obama's popularity in Denmark, and his own lack of popularity, that any visit he made would further underscore this disparity and so the Greenland thing provided him a way to back out.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on August 21st, 2019, 6:05 pm 

What do you bet the Greenland thing is not over?
If nobody mentioned it again, he might forget and reach for some other set of jangly car-keys. But people won't ignore it: they'll make fun of him, and then he'll tweet-bomb the world for three days, and people will respond to that and he'll have to strike back, and then he'll obsess, and then he'll send a naval blockade or something and start WW - what's he on now - VII?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby toucana on August 21st, 2019, 8:15 pm 

toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby Serpent on August 21st, 2019, 9:13 pm 

The one about the Statue of liberty is even funnier.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby toucana on August 22nd, 2019, 5:12 am 

A video clip from 2016 has come to light that features Senator Ted Cruz speaking in Texas at a time when he was campaigning for president. Here’s part of what he had to say back then :-
I wake up every day and laugh at the things Donald has tweeted. We need a commander-in-chief, not a Twitterer-in-chief. We need someone with judgement and the temperament to keep this country safe. I don’t know anyone who would be comfortable with someone who behaves this way having his finger on the button. I mean, we’re liable to wake up one morning and Donald, if he were president, would’ve nuked Denmark. That’s not the temperament of a leader who will keep this country safe. 

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/8/21/1880473/-Here-s-video-of-2016-Ted-Cruz-warning-a-potential-President-Trump-might-end-up-nuking-Denmark
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Return to Political Theory