'Post-Truth Politics' - Collapse in Information Integrity

This is a forum for discussing philosophical theories of government and social structure. It is not a venue for partisan rants or plugging favored candidates.

Re: 'Post-Truth Politics' - Collapse in Information Integrit

Postby Mossling on September 9th, 2020, 10:14 pm 

Coronavirus live news: Trump says he 'perhaps' misled Americans as global deaths pass 900,000
The Guardian, 9 Sep 2020
US President Donald Trump spoke to Fox News’s Sean Hannity about the Woodward book revelations. He repeated that his response to the pandemic was intended to avoid panic.

“I said don’t panic (over the virus)... I’m a cheerleader for this country and I don’t want to see panic,” Trump said.

Trump also said the US had done an amazing job with regards to deaths.

“If you look at our numbers, our fatality numbers compared to other countries, it’s amazing what we’ve done. We’ve been able to do something...that especially with the country the size we have, we’ve done an incredible job.”

The US has recorded more than 190,000 deaths. It has the 7th highest deaths per 100,000 in the world at 57.97.

The only countries with higher deaths per 100,000 are Peru (93.71), Spain (63.34), Bolivia (62.51),Chile (62.37), Ecuador (62.20), Brazil (60.85).

200520124848-20200520-trump-religion-super-tease.jpg

228cadcb1299535b289d69d8d6147f9e.jpg
Mossling

Postby charon on September 10th, 2020, 2:51 am 

That's always what he was doing. Plus the subversive, hypnotic hand signs. It was obvious except to a large mass of people who promptly bought his vacuum cleaner... sorry, voted for him.

But the trouble with deception is that it's very hard to maintain for any length of time. And even Hitler had his fans right to the end and beyond.
charon
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on September 14th, 2020, 5:26 pm 

https://mobile.twitter.com/nancysantane ... 02f606d011

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/1 ... -19-412809

The CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports are authored by career scientists and serve as the main vehicle for the agency to inform doctors, researchers and the general public about how Covid-19 is spreading and who is at risk. Such reports have historically been published with little fanfare and no political interference, said several longtime health department officials, and have been viewed as a cornerstone of the nation's public health work for decades.

But since Michael Caputo, a former Trump campaign official with no medical or scientific background, was installed in April as the Health and Human Services department's new spokesperson, there have been substantial efforts to align the reports with Trump's statements, including the president's claims that fears about the outbreak are overstated, or stop the reports altogether
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby toucana on September 14th, 2020, 7:06 pm 

The tale of Michael Caputo gets even wilder:

The third Caputo story is, somehow, much more dramatic: In a Sunday Facebook Live appearance, the HHS official alleged that there is a seditious “resistance unit” within the CDC that is attempting to sustain the pandemic until after the presidential election—and said that he believes this unit is plotting to murder him. (Said Caputo: “They’re going to have to kill me, and unfortunately, I think that’s where this is going.”) In addition to this targeted assassination, Caputo asserted that left-wing activists are conducting “drills” across the country to prepare to kill Trump supporters in the event that Joe Biden does not win the election.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/trump-coronavirus-official-michael-caputo-says-the-cdc-is-conspiring-to-murder-him.html

According to another account, this same appointee is advising Trump supporters to "buy ammunition" in preparation for a Biden attempt to seize the presidency from Trump.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/9/14/1977347/-Embattled-HHS-official-claims-life-is-in-danger-CDC-has-resistance-unit-in-off-the-rails-video

In his defence, he does mention that his "mental health has definitely failed".
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)
TheVat liked this post

Postby TheVat on September 15th, 2020, 6:43 pm 

Before 2017, it was relatively more rare to watch government officials experience mental health failures so dramatically. Now in the US, it's more like, "ah, it's Tuesday again. "

A new article in The Atlantic addresses quite cogently and sharply how the media has failed to sufficiently filter for truth and thus allowed absurd and grossly false statements to come to seem more and more the norm in politics.

Most dangerous, as has been discussed here before, is when you have an objective state of affairs (and matter of public record) on one "side" and demented lies on the other, and the press strives so hard to be evenhanded in their coverage that they provide way too much oxygen to the lies, as if they are a perspective on reality worth giving equal weight.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... es/616222/
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby TheVat on October 21st, 2020, 10:18 am 

Among the poll’s findings: More than 8 in 10 rated the spread of misinformation about government a “major problem.”

The deluge in political misinformation and conspiracy theories has fueled distrust in institutions and threatens to undermine confidence in elections, democracy and the nation itself, according to Cindy Otis, a former CIA officer, author and disinformation expert.

“We are living today in the biggest period of false information in history, and we Americans are largely doing it to ourselves,” Otis said last week during a hearing focused on election-related misinformation. “Americans are losing trust in what they read and see online. We are desperate for information, but certain groups feel they cannot trust the traditional institutions upon which they used to rely.”

The poll found the candidates and their campaigns are themselves seen as not credible by many Americans, with less than a third of Americans saying campaign messages from either Biden or Trump are often or always based on facts.

Roughly half of respondents said Trump’s campaign messages are rarely or never based in fact, while about 4 in 10 respondents say that of Biden’s campaign...

https://apnews.com/article/election-202 ... 037d2ad06c
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Mossling on October 22nd, 2020, 3:56 am 

And yet what is a "fact," really? Our brains smooth over the blind spot where the optic nerve meets our eyeballs so that we may enjoy a seamless 'truth.' In this respect, a 'fact' is often something that satisfies our habit of indulging in confirmation bias.

People can be hypnotized to ignore the pain of dental work - as an alternative to more traditional anesthesia, and the skeptic philosopher Phyrro could apparently undergo surgery without any anesthetic.

Perhaps the only truth the majority of people will 'respect' is a bullet or something similar (covid, when it kills their elderly relatives, for example), but there are some who will not even respect that reality. 72 virgins, anyone?

Some people live within very different truth/'fact' domains it seems.

Sure, they can use the label 'truth' or 'fact,' but it has a very different practical/socioeconomic foundation.

Perhaps it is the wealth divide that initially creates these disparate 'echo chambers,' and then there are all the traditional religious/ideological institutions on top of that, of course....

Just a big mess, lol.
Mossling

Postby BadgerJelly on October 22nd, 2020, 4:57 am 

Isn’t this simply a matter of who has the time to care? I mean, who really has much time to sift through all the info out there (or the will and know how to do so).

What will happen is exactly what is effective in the current political game. Personally I don’t see the point in getting distracted by the sham of ‘this or that political party’ as the power lies in forcing the current administration to do what you want it to do.

I still find these kinds of figures the main reason for purposeful mosinformation:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/01/electio ... llion.html

Basically, if you’ve an uncapped amount to spend on campaigning then why waste time being selective with impactful information when you can just carpet bomb the public through social media and rely on disruption rather than actual information based on planned out policies/manifestos.

The event of the internet has shown the world what US politics is all about (and the US economy). It is all about quantity over quality. This will eventually weigh against itself once the impact of mass global communications comes fully online and once it has been in full swing for long enough for people to realise what is going on.

For the here and now I don’t see things getting better quickly before they get worse. Like I said, this is just getting started. My wish is that while different political parties are busy battling it out (in what is a dying sphere of public interest) a different way of doing politics will slowly and surely shove them to one side. I’m guessing this will be through some kind of multimedia interaction that will most certainly involve AI of some kind in a more impactful and accepted manner.

For the rest of the planet, and the US, I hope Biden gets in. Beyond that I hope he gets out quickly too and people find themselves in a situation where BOTH candidates on both sides are new and fresh - honestly though, I think if Trump loses he’ll just be back again next time AND will likely win then unless someone stronger opposes him. I say this because I don’t believe Biden can do a good job that will be publicly perceived as a ‘good job’ due to the current situation the world is in.

The silver-lining here is if Trump wins then you’ll only have to put up with him for four more years! By the time those four years are over I’m sure Covid will be gone and he’ll be talking about his ‘success’.

The black cloud is the state of the opposition. Playing naive and talk of ‘misinformation’ as some new and underhanded tactic in politics (especially in the US) is frankly laughable.

Honestly I’ more concerned about humanity getting a moon base and travelling to Mars. This is minnows stuff. The movers and changers aren’t really politicians but they are political in that they inspire and innovate. All the politicians are meant to do is enable humanity to expand and innovate.

The information age is just getting going folks! Hold onto your seats :D
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Previous

Return to Political Theory