I create my reality?

Discussions on the nature of being, existence, reality and knowledge. What is? How do we know?

Moderator: Lomax

I create my reality?

Postby Silentshado on December 16th, 2010, 2:44 am 

WARNING:
This is very difficult to understand, but it could lead you to an amazing transformation of self.

To start off this topic I'll first tell you a little about myself. My name is Vanya, I'm 19. Even though I am young, do not compare my age with my level of intelligence. Fortunately I have been gifted with a very scientific mind, since I can remember I have always been interested in all forms of science. Little did I know that science would lead me to understand the very fabric of reality.

OK now that I've got that out the way, I'll start at the basics. This topic does revolve around quantum physics. All of you should be familiar with Newtonian or classical physics, now classical physics applies for the macroscopic world but scientists realised that the smaller you go, these laws that govern the macroscopic world no longer apply in the quantum world. Which brings us to

What is reality?
Now most of us have been taught through classical physics that "atoms are the building blocks of nature." Which really is a very neat concept and diagrams very well but this is not so. It turned out that those solid little atoms were really just energy packets. Then it was discovered that they really aren’t energy packets either, but momentary condensations of a field of energy...Offcourse, as you know every "atom" consists of “empty space" so much so that its kind of a miracle that we don’t hit the floor every time we sit on a chair. And since the floor is mostly empty, where would we find something solid enough to hold us? The kicker here is that our we (at least our bodies) are made up of atoms too!!And now leading-edge research is suggesting that the so called "empty space" within and between atoms is so lively with energy that one cubic centimetre contains more energy than all the solid matter in the UNIVERSE!! Look up “Van Der Waals forces" and the "casimir effect."

Quantum physics Mind boggle

Empty space
Just to give you an idea. If the nucleus of a hydrogen atom was the size of a basketball the space between the nucleus and electron circling it would be 20 miles (or 32 km). But asT said above this empty space is actually an immense field of energy.

Particle, wave or wavicle
Not only is there “space” between particles, but as scientists probed more deeply into the atom, they found that sub-atomic particles are not solid either. And they appear to have a dual nature. Depending on how we look at them they can behave as particles or waves. As waves electrons or photons have no precise location but exist as “probability fields”. As particles, the probability field “collapses” into a solid object locatable in a specific place or time. Amazingly, what seems to make the difference is observation or measurement. Unmeasured, unobserved electrons behave as waves. As soon as we subject them to observation in an experiment, they “collapse” into a particle and can be located. This wave theory was solidified into quantum theory by Erwin Schrodinger.

I won’t delve into mind boggles as they are a discussion on its own but if you are interested you can look up: quantum jumps, the uncertainty principle, EPR, Bells Theorem and quantum entanglement.

The observer
Fritjof Capra says : “ The crucial feature of quantum theory is that the observer is not only necessary to observe the properties of an atomic phenomenon, but is necessary even to bring about these properties.
The observer affects the observed.
Before an observation or measurement is made, the object exists as a probability wave (technically called a wave function). It has no specific velocity or position. Its probability wave contains the likelihood that when observed in a measurement, it will be here or there. It has potential velocities, potential positions- but we wont know what they are until it is observed. “In this view,” writes Brian Greene in the fabric of the cosmos, “when we measure the electron’s position we are not measuring an objective, pre-existing feature of reality. Rather, the act of measurement is deeply enmeshed in creating the very reality it is measuring.” Fritjof Capra concludes: “The electron does not have objective properties independent of my mind.”
All of this serves to blur the once sharp distinction between the “world out there” and the subjective observer, which seems to merge together in the process of discovering-or is it creating?- the world.

Consciousness creates reality
According to Princeton’s Nobel prize winning physicist John Wheeler, “ Useful as it is under everyday circumstances to say that the world exists ‘out there’ independent of us, that view can no longer be upheld.” In Wheeler’s words, we are not simply “bystanders on a cosmic stage, but shapers and creators living in a participatory universe.”
According to author and physicist Amit Goswami, “ We all have a habit of thinking that everything around us is already a thing, existing without my input, without my choice.” To be true to the findings of quantum physics, Goswami says, we “have to banish that kind of thinking. Instead, you really have to recognise that even the material world around us, the chairs, the tables, the rooms, the carpet, all of these are nothing but possible movements of consciousness. And I’m choosing moment to moment out of those movements to bring my actual experience into manifestation.”
Everything is interdependent- which is what those explorers in consciousness have always maintained. Goswami freely admits how difficult it is to adjust to this new way of thinking that seems to contradict our daily experience, He says, “This is the only radical thinking that you need to do, but it is so radical. It’s so difficult because our tendency is that the world is already out there, independent of my experience, it is not. Quantum physics has been so clear about it.”

I create my own reality?
Most often people reject the “I create...” idea when something occurs in their life they would never create. “I would never create this!!” That’s true, they –the personality-never would. But as all spiritual traditions maintain, there is more than one “you”. This divine schizophrenia goes by many labels. Ego/true self, personality/divinity, son of man/son of god, mortal body/immortal soul, but in essence it says there are different levels from which you are creating. And the goal of enlightenment is to erase this fracture of self and create from one source. And accepting that “I create...” is an amazing tool for that expansion. For if it’s true, then every time you reject your part in creating reality, you are rejecting or denying a part of yourself. Thus the fragmentation continues. In fact, according to the enlightened, the spirit half of you is creating these realities for sole purpose of becoming whole. There are things you must experience to grow that might not be your ego/personalities first choice.

Victimization
Perceiving one self as a victim is possibly the strongest rejection of “I create my reality”. And it happens all the time. The victim says: “This situation happened to me. It is unfair and unwarranted.” The corollaries of this are: “Poor me. The universe is unjust. Karma is a fickle, part time operation.”
The upside of this attitude is: you get sympathy, get to feel good about yourself because its not you, and can blow off the experience and not deal with your part in it.
The downside is: you just endorsed the idea that you don’t create your reality (and thus are disempowered to do so), and will get the lesson again, and again, and again, and... It is also a fragmentation from reality. It removes the creator from the creation. A look at the reflection of this attitude in society at large shows how prevalent victimization is. In the United States, the victim mentality has reached epic proportions. If anything happens to someone, the first thing they do is look for someone to sue.
As Don Juan told Carlos Castaneda in Journey to Ixtlan: “You have been complaining all your life because you don’t assume responsibility for your decisions...look at me. I have no doubts or remorse. Everything I do is my decision and my responsibility.”

The Big turnaround
As victimization is the strongest rejection of “I create my reality”. “I accept responsibility” is the strongest acceptance of it. It is a monumental turnaround in the way that anyone approaches the world and their experiences in it. Victimization and the powerlessness that ensues is gone from life. In every situation, the questions are asked, “Where am I, or what is I, in this situation? What is being reflected back to me? What level of ‘I-ness’ is this coming from?” The turnaround is, instead of asking the universe to prove that you create reality so that you can sit on the fence and accept or reject what happens, you take it as a given that your life and its happenings are created by you , so therefore you look for the meaning in them. And by meaning, it’s not philosophical, cosmic meaning, but rather what does this about who you are, or what your creating, or what in life you are denying? Looking for change in your life? Make this switch and watch your life transform before your many “I’s”.

[source: What the bleep do we know?]

Believe this or not. I really don’t care. But myself and my family has witnessed the incredible transformation that a deeper understanding and acceptance of “I create my reality” has to offer. I have totally changed as a person. There is nothing in this world that can make me angry or depressed anymore, I have found happiness, little did i know that happiness isn’t in the world ‘out there’ but rather within myself. I am actively creating my reality and I am constantly learning and growing. This universe is beyond anything I have ever imagined. I really wish that everyone would see that this is the truth.
Silentshado
Forum Neophyte

Likes received: 0
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I create my reality?

Postby Positor on December 16th, 2010, 9:07 am 

Silentshado wrote:Fritjof Capra concludes: “The electron does not have objective properties independent of my mind.”

But the wave function itself has objective properties, does it not? As I understand it, the overall probability distribution is a purely external fact, independent of our minds.
Positor

Postby Silentshado on December 16th, 2010, 11:00 am 

My apologies, I should have included more information on consciousness.
In essence, consciousness is the fundamental reality. As a wave function the electron only exists as a possibility within consciousness. Once you make an observation your consciousness chooses one of the possibilities and then brings your reality into actual manifestation.

According to author and physicist Amit Goswami, “ We all have a habit of thinking that everything around us is already a thing, existing without my input, without my choice.” To be true to the findings of quantum physics, Goswami says, we “have to banish that kind of thinking. Instead, you really have to recognise that even the material world around us, the chairs, the tables, the rooms, the carpet, all of these are nothing but possible movements of consciousness. And I’m choosing moment to moment out of those movements to bring my actual experience into manifestation.”

The entire physical world is an illusion. I will post a new topic tomorrow that might explain it better.
Silentshado
Forum Neophyte

Postby owleye on December 16th, 2010, 11:24 am 

Silentshado wrote:WARNING:
This is very difficult to understand, but it could lead you to an amazing transformation of self.

To start off this topic I'll first tell you a little about myself. My name is Vanya, I'm 19. Even though I am young, do not compare my age with my level of intelligence. Fortunately I have been gifted with a very scientific mind, since I can remember I have always been interested in all forms of science. Little did I know that science would lead me to understand the very fabric of reality....

Believe this or not. I really don’t care. But myself and my family has witnessed the incredible transformation that a deeper understanding and acceptance of “I create my reality” has to offer. I have totally changed as a person. There is nothing in this world that can make me angry or depressed anymore, I have found happiness, little did i know that happiness isn’t in the world ‘out there’ but rather within myself. I am actively creating my reality and I am constantly learning and growing. This universe is beyond anything I have ever imagined. I really wish that everyone would see that this is the truth.

Let me say I'm impressed with what your understanding and the development of your ideas based on the authors you've cited. At that age, though I was brimming with ideas, I hadn't reached the level of sophistication you seem to have reached.

Nevertheless, I hope you won't think you've reached the pinnacle of your understanding of reality. I recognize that even during the time of Wheeler's insights on this, some had predicted the End of Science, as if we were about to reach a period of unifying all of science under one umbrella formulation. I believe that level of optimism has diminished today, but just like Hegel's idea of the End of History, we seem to find real problems in need of solving. Perhaps you would say it's because we need such problems, as part of the reality we've created, and with this in mind, all we would need is more recreational drugs and poof, the problems disappear. (Don't take this remark seriously. I'm parroting how critics of Castaneda react.)

Let me say, though, that I'm delighted by the revelations you've brought us. Though I'm not quite as keen on their content as you are, I think you have a bright future ahead of you -- if you don't call it quits on your quest for understanding at such a young age. I sense they will launch your career if you let it and also remain open to criticisms. I encourage you to follow your ideas as if they are a journey, just as Castaneda taught us, even if they don't end up to be how they started out.

James
owleye
Forum Moderator

Likes received: 4

Postby Silentshado on December 17th, 2010, 2:41 am 

Thank you very much James. Your response has been greatly appreciated.

owleye wrote:
Nevertheless, I hope you won't think you've reached the pinnacle of your understanding of reality.

Oh absolutely not,I do realise that I have but only scratched at the surface of what there actually is to understand. I personally believe that this will be a lifelong journey,and I am ecstatic at the thought of what I might come to learn in the future.

owleye wrote:...we seem to find real problems in need of solving. Perhaps you would say it's because we need such problems, as part of the reality we've created,...

You are exactly right. We do need these problems to learn and to grow.Unfortunately society as a whole fails to see the lessons contained within these problems (global warming etc.). Therefore the lesson will be repeated.The sad thing is that most of society seems to be incapable of learning.

I have found your reply very inspirational. Its good to finally have found a place where I am able to speak my mind and people actually understand what I'm on about.
Silentshado
Forum Neophyte

Postby owleye on December 22nd, 2010, 1:38 am 

Silentshado wrote:....

Besides the obvious difficulty with the idea of creating our own reality (which, I'm aware is one interpretation of quantum theory), which idea is consistent in some sense with what Kant is telling us, I have a problem with it being inconsistent with Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection. While consciousness provides us with a phenomenal reality (a la Kant), consciousness should be understood as an emerging feature of biological evolution and, as such, one that evolved from a line of organisms that interacted in certain ways with an environment that is external to it, one in which sensors could evolve to capture enough information about the world that allowed it to survive and reproduce. There is a sense in which these sensors and the subsequent processing of the information extracted are truth seekers. This is possible only if there is an environment (a reality) external to the organism whose properties are acquirable through information passed to the organism by way of these sensors. In no way can this reality be created. One might argue that there is some sort of mirroring of reality built into the genome, but while it is built in, it is only representational of that reality. It is not the same thing as that reality.

James
owleye
Forum Moderator

Postby Silentshado on December 25th, 2010, 10:37 pm 

owleye wrote:Besides the obvious difficulty with the idea of creating our own reality (which, I'm aware is one interpretation of quantum theory), which idea is consistent in some sense with what Kant is telling us, I have a problem with it being inconsistent with Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection. While consciousness provides us with a phenomenal reality (a la Kant), consciousness should be understood as an emerging feature of biological evolution and, as such, one that evolved from a line of organisms that interacted in certain ways with an environment that is external to it, one in which sensors could evolve to capture enough information about the world that allowed it to survive and reproduce. There is a sense in which these sensors and the subsequent processing of the information extracted are truth seekers. This is possible only if there is an environment (a reality) external to the organism whose properties are acquirable through information passed to the organism by way of these sensors. In no way can this reality be created. One might argue that there is some sort of mirroring of reality built into the genome, but while it is built in, it is only representational of that reality. It is not the same thing as that reality.

James

You have a very good point unfortunately I am not able to give you a clear answer. I will give you some theories though.
Perhaps Darwin was wrong? (Just a possibility)
Or perhaps we create our present and future realities on the basis of what we believe could or could not have happened in the past. Therefore if you believe something to be possible you will find evidence for it within your reality.
owleye wrote:... consciousness should be understood as an emerging feature of biological evolution...

If consciousness is only an epiphenomenon of biological evolution, how can we explain the thousands of documented cases of out-of-body experiences?
Silentshado
Forum Neophyte

Postby jcl on December 26th, 2010, 9:38 am 

So who is responsible for the tsunami? A natural disaster hits a region, thousands die, tens of thousands lose their homes hundreds of thousands suffer. So either one person 'created' their own tsunami or the whole region of people 'attracted' the cosmic forces of a tsunami, which is it, who created the tsunami?
jcl
Banned User

Postby owleye on December 26th, 2010, 6:53 pm 

Silentshado wrote:If consciousness is only an epiphenomenon of biological evolution, how can we explain the thousands of documented cases of out-of-body experiences?

I'm not inclined to think of consciousness as an epiphenomenon, principally because I have no real understanding of phenomena, of on epi-sort or otherwise, apart from consciousness. The only way I am able to understand a testable mechanism for observing consciousness (assuming it is physical -- which is what it would have to be for me) is to observe traces (i.e., clues) that sufficiently describe from a third person point of view a complete first person account. Merely being able to read another's thoughts by examining the brain isn't enough. A characterization of brain phenomena has to be a direct correlate of what is being experienced.

Nevertheless, it may be something having a kinship with this idea. However, out-of-body experiences are not a problem (at least for human consciousness). Indeed, it is consciousness itself that makes this possible. On the other hand, out-of-mind experiences would be a problem (unless that is, more than one mind can coexist within consciousness -- possibly as a result of multiple personalities, but even here, I suspect it is one-at-a-time). Note that this is not the same thing as having degraded experiences, or hallucinations, or even super-attentiveness or a whole variety of degrees and kinds of experiences.

Consciousness, as a field of study, is best understood, I think, within the context of phenomenology. Husserl, though he had predecessors, inaugurated this field, and has given it a treatment that he believes to be scientific, though I would differ on this score, and has developed much of the basis on which further phenomenologists have taken their cue. One of his students, Martin Heidegger, is probably more well-known, and has contributed not a few insights of his own, mostly on the basis of taking it in a different direction, and the field has branched into many potentially divergent tracts that most analytic philosophers pay little attention to. Not the final word, of course. There is a movement these days to bring these two tracts into some kind of unison.

James
owleye
Forum Moderator

Postby Silentshado on December 26th, 2010, 11:14 pm 

I am not able to give a detailed reply at the moment, my time is restricted. In the next few days though I will find time to give you some answers. As for the tsunami example it can be explained by unified consciousness. I will give you more facts and references later.
Silentshado
Forum Neophyte

Postby jcl on December 27th, 2010, 8:37 am 

Unified consciousness eh? Sounds to me like the old god argument wrapped differently. I suppose you are going to share with us how all consciousness are like drops of water from the ocean, being separate from the ocean does not make them any less ocean water, and how our individual sufferings are a result of our separation from the mass consciousness. The mass consciousness (or unified as you use) creates reality, permeates, and binds it together as you are arguing through perception. If we relinquish our grasp of individuality and dissolve our egos then we may attain enlightenment and become one with the unified consciousness, no longer bothering with the minute details of the ordinary, for the unified consciousness will provide all for us. Further the UC (unified consciousness) ensures perfect balance and harmony thus evil deeds are repaid with evil and likewise good with good, but all 'evil' that befalls a person is a result of evil that they produced now being revisited upon them so concepts like pity and empathy are mute. Finally this is all proven by the gaps of knowledge in current physics which show a tenuous hold on reality, atoms and particles being bonded together by no more than weak magnetic forces which by our reasoning should not hold. Of course a few thousand years ago it was argued that rain was a gift from the gods for how else could water be 'magically' transported to the sky?
Am I close?
jcl
Banned User

Postby 0oqpo0 on December 27th, 2010, 10:42 am 

If all of reality is just your subconscious, interdependantly linked, presumably, you could call it into consciousness and rework it and move everyone around like robots and make them experience peaceful co-habitation. Sometimes, I've heard Buddhism in this light, though I think it to be inaccurate. I've heard it in the vein of, "When the Buddha awoke, the whole universe was at peace."
0oqpo0
Banned User

Postby Paul Anthony on December 28th, 2010, 7:26 pm 

jcl,

Do not confuse creating reality with managing that reality. I would suggest that to be the mistake of most religions, but I'll save that discussion for another day. (In case you forgot, I'm a Deist)

Consider this scenario: You get in your car, turn the key, start the motor, put the automatic transmission in gear and release the brake. Oh, good! A road trip! But, you decide to ignore what you have already "created" and fail to steer. What is likely to happen? The car will move and quite possibly crash, but you are not controlling it. You stopped "creating", but your actions up to that moment have (literally) put things in motion.

Every action has consequences. The conscious person knows this, and does not stop creating. Those who do stop are those who do not realize they were creating in the first place, and who are most likely to declare themselves to be victims of forces beyond their control.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby jcl on December 31st, 2010, 4:42 pm 

Paul,
I think you are giving yourself too much credit saying you are a deist, you seem like a hook-line-and-sinker- christian to me. I agree with you that oft times people consider themselves victims when they ought not, not accepting their role and responsibility in regards to their own reality but I think SS is referring to something much grander than mere responsibility. Either way we must wait to hear from her I suppose.
jcl
Banned User

Postby Paul Anthony on December 31st, 2010, 5:25 pm 

jcl wrote:Paul,
I think you are giving yourself too much credit saying you are a deist, you seem like a hook-line-and-sinker- christian to me.

I attempt to live up to the standards of those labels I accept - although I avoid labeling myself most of the time, since labels can be misleading. I published my philosophy before adapting the label of Deist. It has been imposed upon me by those who judged my writing, and I have accepted it for lack of a better term.

Often, the greatest barrier to communication is a failure to speak a common language. I was raised Catholic, and have studied many religions. None of them ring true, IMO, but I understand them sufficiently to speak the language of their adherents. Do not, however, confuse understanding with agreement.

That said, feel free to call me whatever you will - as long as you don't call me late for dinner! :)
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby jcl on January 1st, 2011, 2:16 pm 

fair enough, but I still think that deism is just a way of avoiding making a decision. Either there is a god and a 'way' ie religion and you follow that religious course to your heaven or nirvana or what have you or there is not a god in which case accept the responsibility of your choice and discard the notion and embrace your atheism. Hell if you think there is a god but no religion has figured it out then start your own. But whatever you choose accept the consequences of that choice. Too often I've met 'deists' who are just christians who don't like feeling guilty that they are a crappy christian who refuses to put forth the effort to abide by their religion. This, for me, is disgraceful. Or there are the deists who live life without god or the supernatural but refuse to say there is no god lest there is a god and they piss him/her off. Preposterous to me, any god worth following would, as the good book says, 'spit them out of his mouth' for their cowardly avoidance. I am fully willing to stand before whatever god I don't believe in and say 'Yes, I did not believe in you because I had no reason to, do what you will'. I am not closed to the idea but I cannot rationally accept it, I have no cause to, same as unicorns I have no reason to believe in them so acknowledge the 'possibility' of their existence? If they exist then dammit I'll accept it when I see it but till then I will hold that unicorns and gods don't exist.
A bit of a tangent whilst we wait for silentshadow's well researched response.
jcl
Banned User

Postby Paul Anthony on January 1st, 2011, 4:17 pm 

jcl,

This is not the place for an in-depth discussion of the tenets of deism (not that there actually are any tenets of deism), but some defense of my position seems called for, so...

I see no evidence of a caring god, as described in Judeo-Christian mythology, but I find some justification for the belief that there may be (or may have been) a First Cause. I make no claim to know the nature of IT, nor knowledge of any characteristics IT may possess, nor do I have any reason to believe IT wants or needs to be worshiped. IT just IS (or WAS). That is the essence of deism.

Among those who claim to be deists, there are many variations or additions to that simple premise. Some believe in an after-life, some don't. (some believe in reincarnation). Deists don't have a "Big Book" that allegedly reveals the Truth. Personally, the only attributes I suspect the First Cause must have are intelligence and consciousness. Beyond that, I must state (as any true atheist would state) "I don't know".

Deism is not a religion but a philosophy, since nothing is worshiped. There are no bargains to be made with a god or a devil, so claiming to be a deist does not constitute hedging of one's bets. I am not expecting an eternal reward for being good or eternal damnation for being less so. Any rewards or penalties resulting from my actions will be experienced in "real time" - cause and effect being a quite natural (not supernatural) occurrence.

Now, in an effort to return to the OP, I do not control all of the events which occur but I do control how I react to the circumstances in which I find myself. And in that way, I create my own reality.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby jcl on January 1st, 2011, 5:46 pm 

What would prevent an atheist from saying anything of what you did? In essence what separates you from being an atheist?
By the by I am just killing some time waiting for SS to return and enlighten us, so I am not meaning to derail this thread, just some idle chat till she comes back. For instance I think that she would disagree with your statement, she seems to have proposed that you do control all the events in your life, or that the unified consciousness does, but she has yet to really define that, so anyways, I completely agree with you and as such agree with your stance on victimization, alot of people seem to feel that the scope of their response is a necessarily based upon the circumstances. Now here's a challenge; justify feeling guilt.
jcl
Banned User

Postby Paul Anthony on January 1st, 2011, 6:27 pm 

jcl wrote: In essence what separates you from being an atheist?

How many atheists believe the universe had an intelligent, conscious First Cause? Other than that, not much.

jcl wrote:Now here's a challenge; justify feeling guilt.

Guilt about what? I'd be happy to take your challenge, but you'll have to be a bit more specific.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby jcl on January 1st, 2011, 6:37 pm 

guilt about anything. Is there ever a valid time to feel guilt?

As to the atheist bit, I don't think being an atheist precludes you from a first cause. does it have to be intelligent?
jcl
Banned User

Postby Paul Anthony on January 1st, 2011, 7:07 pm 

jcl wrote:guilt about anything. Is there ever a valid time to feel guilt?

As to the atheist bit, I don't think being an atheist precludes you from a first cause. does it have to be intelligent?

Well, I can't stand as the authoritative voice of atheism, but it seems the consensus is that the universe had no intelligent creator. That's the sticking point that separates us.

I do see intelligence in the universe. There is order from chaos. If there was not, Science wouldn't work at all! Science relies on there being certain discoverable constants, often refered to as the Laws of Nature. For this order to exist, I suspect the First Cause didn't just roll the dice.

For example, if I (as a reasonably intelligent being) wanted to create a universe populated by other conscious, intelligent beings, I would want them to develop in a manner that was consistent with their environment and capable of adapting to changes as they occur - without necessitating my constant intercession. Evolution is a brilliant device whereby those creatures that are best at adaptation will "go forth and multiply", while those that are less adept will perish.

Evolution is, IMO, evidence of design by intelligence (not to be confused with the new Creationism called "Intelligent Design"). Why would I want to "play God", having to listen to a bunch of whiny ingrates constantly praying to me for special treatment? That's not a sign of intelligence. The Christian God must be an egotistical masochist.

Now, to your question of guilt: Yes, there are times and reasons to feel guilty. If life doesn't turn out as I would like it, chances are I made some poor choices. I should feel guilty for not doing a better job of creating my life. Likewise, if I could have helped another improve his/her life, but didn't, I should accept that I have been less than I could have been. My bad.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby jcl on January 2nd, 2011, 9:13 am 

It seems that your belief is based upon pure conjecture which I cannot for myself accept. If I find no reason for a belief then I discard it as irrelevant. For instance I do not have hold to firmly to the idea of a big bang, evolution as it is currently described, nor that light travels at a constant velocity. They all seem to me to be more of hopeful thinking based on little evidence in actual support of the ideas. So for me I recognize that which I know and accept that which I don't know and make determinations based on this rather than hopeful thinking. That is why I think one ought accept the consequence of their ideas, namely if there is not a god manipulating reality then why need a god. An argument for a god once upon a time in a time and space far far away seems hardly worth mentioning nor believing. I am a strongly adverse to unnecessary beliefs and I see that as such. But that is just me.
Now for the guilt bit, guilt is nonconstructive backward focusing, one does not learn lessons from guilt, it is a completely emotional state of regret. I do not find a reason for this as long as one maintains a personal code of conduct and ethics. I see no reason to feel guilt for a consequential happenings of which I did not have control, which ties in with we being responsible not for reality but how we respond to reality. Guilt not being a constructive attitude seems more of a victimization and thus I hardly find why one should feel guilt, unless of course you are a christian, which is kind of my point.
jcl
Banned User

Postby Paul Anthony on January 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm 

Careful, jcl. A person who feels no guilt is called a psychopath.

You may not like the term, "guilt", but if you take responsibility for your actions and recognize an occasional mistake - and learn from it - you have experienced "guilt" and responded to the realization in a constructive manner. That's healthy.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby jcl on January 2nd, 2011, 5:49 pm 

I would contend that you do not learn from guilt, but that then becomes semantics. If you learn from your guilt yes, then it is good but I differentiate between guilt as an emotional non rational state and remorse which is what I would say you learn from. Remorse carries with it empathy whereas guilt is a selfish obsession.
Either way, SS needs to come back and bring this thread back in line of course I may not be around by then, nuero seems to be on a mission.
jcl
Banned User

Postby Silentshado on January 10th, 2011, 5:31 am 

Haha quite an interesting turn this topic has taken. I apologise for the very belated reply and that I won't be able to elaborate on your conversation and unified consciousness. If you like you can look up the study that I was going to reference. The study was done by Dr. John Hagelin and its called research on the maharishi effect. The reason why I can't elaborate is because I am in the process of immigrating so I simply do not have the time. Just to clear up some confusion, I am male. No offence taken but out of idle curiosity, what made you assume I was female?
Silentshado
Forum Neophyte

Postby jazzmoke on February 25th, 2011, 8:35 am 

The Copenhagen interpretation and the quantum physics make look with more and more credit towards solipsism although there are other approaches as Objective collapse theory that bring a somewhat different perspective, in the end I believe what they prove, just like the issue of measuring the momentum and the position, where the precision of measuring one of them lessens the precision of measuring another, in the same way at a "bigger" level precision requires a compromise. I am a more practical person, I trust mathematical formulas above all else.

When I was about 17-18 yo, I paid much attention to reality and illusion and I thought up a simple theory about the fact that everything we perceive . My example was:
Let's say I wear glasses, and one day I forget them at home so it results in the fact that I see doubles. Let's say I am looking at a tree and I see also a double of it. How do I tell which is real and which is not. So I consider that they both exists, one in objective reality meaning that it will be there either I perceive it or not while the other exists ONLY because I can perceive it. How do I make the difference in the end? If I grab an axe and attempt to cut them, the illusionary one will not fall down, my axe will run right through it, meaning that it does not respect certain laws(rules). Now the difference between rules an exceptions is just a matter of occurrence, the one that occurs in most cases is the rule, while the other is the exception. In my view certainty of reality is more of a case of understanding the rules and laws of the current state, so calculations can be made giving the possibility of anticipation and planning ensuring adaptation. So I say reality is the rule, illusion is the exception, if tomorrow we will all be able to see through walls, and when I look through a wall I can not see through it then it means it is not real as the rule says all wall are transparent for human vision. If I build this rules, or if they do come from another source? I believe that they come out of an interaction between conscience and an objective reality that was there before our conscience.
jazzmoke
Forum Neophyte

Postby jazzmoke on February 25th, 2011, 8:42 am 

Positor wrote:
Silentshado wrote:Fritjof Capra concludes: “The electron does not have objective properties independent of my mind.”

But the wave function itself has objective properties, does it not? As I understand it, the overall probability distribution is a purely external fact, independent of our minds.

E must not neglect the fact that either corpus or wave the electron IS there somewhere for us to observe. We perceive, measure it's stances and "behaviour", we alter it's stances and behaviour as observers, but we do not create the electron we just alter it.
jazzmoke
Forum Neophyte

Postby charon on March 18th, 2011, 2:45 pm 

Silentshado wrote: Little did I know that science would lead me to understand the very fabric of reality.

What do you mean by reality? Tell me in one sentence.
charon

Postby newyear on March 18th, 2011, 5:17 pm 

This topic seems like publicity for the What the Bleep Do We Know society/sect. Perhaps Silentshado could tell me I am not correct?
newyear

Postby charon on March 22nd, 2011, 9:40 am 

I think Silentshado last posted here in December last year. She may not be coming back :)
charon

Next

Return to Metaphysics & Epistemology