Dynamo Jack - Powers of the MoPai Tradition

This is not an everything goes forum, but rather a place to ask questions and request help for developing your ideas.

Moderators: BioWizard, Marshall

Dynamo Jack - Powers of the MoPai Tradition

Postby Mossling on September 16th, 2009, 12:51 pm 

Check out these videos:

John Chang (also called 'Dynamo Jack'); Javanese acupuncturist, sets newspaper on fire with his bare hands, and can also give people electric shocks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77nD5xmL0kU

Scientists from America have apparently tested him. Here you can see him lighting an LED with his bioelectricity, catching a bullet from a gun, forcing a chopstick through a table, etc.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aos0hnwiHt8

This more recent video shows John Chang and his son teaching a westerner telekenesis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKuXuDCPfds

The man's powers are apparently due to the MoPai martial art tradition originally from China. There are levels of attainment (John Chang's teacher apparently disintegrated a broom to dust with one touch - he was at quite a high level), and the whole system revolves around yin and yang chi energy.

These videos are the most convincing evidence I have ever seen for such abilities. I would really like to not believe in it. Any ideas? How, for example, could he have lit the LED in the second video?
Mossling

Likes received:2
Blog: View Blog (59)

Re: Dynamo Jack - Powers of the MoPai Tradition

Postby Emmanuel Goldstein on September 16th, 2009, 2:06 pm 

Mossling wrote:These videos are the most convincing evidence I have ever seen for such abilities.

A video tape is not evidence so it definitely can't be the most convincing evidence you've ever seen. Why hasn't this been repeated in a laboratory? That would be evidence. Why hasn't the James Randi million dollar paranormal prize ever been awarded? I think the answer is because such things are fake.
Emmanuel Goldstein
Banned User

Postby Mossling on September 17th, 2009, 8:28 pm 

There are some convenient answers to this - after John Chang was tested by the scientists named (I haven't checked out their authenticity yet), they had a meal together, where John Chang pushed the chopstick through the table, and in his giddiness, he broke off the part of the chopstick sticking above the table; cutting his hand slightly, and hitting a woman between the eyes with the flying chopstick, thus drawing more blood.

John Chang's master had apparently told him never to use his powers for show, and that he should never use them to draw blood. He had disobeyed both rules (although he hadn't intended to draw blood), and so his master's ghost haunted his sleep all night. After that John Chang asked everyone to leave, and no more was heard from him. The third video is apparently later than that event - a leaked secret video of a Western student being taught telekenesis.

The chopstick hitting the woman between the eyes must have been an accident - if he had enough skill to do that, then he could possibly have enough skill to set fire to paper with his bare hands! He could have blinded the poor woman. The apparently random, yet highly meaningful, factors in the story add to it's integrity.

One of the main 'tricks' for me is the LED light being turned on using his thumb and forefinger in the second video. I would really like to hear some theories about how he could have done that.
Mossling

Postby Emmanuel Goldstein on September 17th, 2009, 10:43 pm 

Mossling wrote:There are some convenient answers to this - after John Chang was tested by the scientists named (I haven't checked out their authenticity yet), they had a meal together, where John Chang pushed the chopstick through the table, and in his giddiness, he broke off the part of the chopstick sticking above the table; cutting his hand slightly, and hitting a woman between the eyes with the flying chopstick, thus drawing more blood.

John Chang's master had apparently told him never to use his powers for show, and that he should never use them to draw blood. He had disobeyed both rules (although he hadn't intended to draw blood), and so his master's ghost haunted his sleep all night. After that John Chang asked everyone to leave, and no more was heard from him. The third video is apparently later than that event - a leaked secret video of a Western student being taught telekenesis.

The chopstick hitting the woman between the eyes must have been an accident - if he had enough skill to do that, then he could possibly have enough skill to set fire to paper with his bare hands! He could have blinded the poor woman. The apparently random, yet highly meaningful, factors in the story add to it's integrity.

That is utterly preposterous. Let me know when any of this can be documented and published in a credible peer reviewed scientific journal. You really shouldn't believe everything you are told.
Emmanuel Goldstein
Banned User

Postby dlorde on September 18th, 2009, 8:39 am 

Emmanuel Goldstein wrote:That is utterly preposterous. Let me know when any of this can be documented and published in a credible peer reviewed scientific journal. You really shouldn't believe everything you are told.

Preposterous or not, I'm curious to know how he managed the effects shown in the videos. The simplest explanation is that it was all set up and the film crew were in on it, but if that wasn't the case, there's some pretty clever stuff going on.
dlorde

Likes received:55

Postby Mossling on September 18th, 2009, 10:23 am 

Thanks dlorde. I completely agree with you - the main explanations would be the following for me:

1) Documentary is a set-up. If so - they do it very well.

2) Participants are covertly hypnotised upon entry in to John Chang's world - as are the patients. Such skills are ancient. Again; he would have to be as, if not more, skilled than the likes of Derren Brown in order to carry this off, and one would expect to be able to find more material of his.

3) John Chang is a very skilled close-quarters conjurer - to the extent he can light an LED between his forefinger and thumb without apparent discovery by scientists analysing him in the way they want to.

It is very intriguing.

Emmanuel - you obviously don't enjoy exploring a mystery. Do you have any arguments beyond "It's video footage" to go on?

Your shrieks of "Preposterous!" are meeting empty air, because I am neither presenting this footage as being proof of anything, or even wanting it to be proof of anything. I am just finding it difficult to zone in on a realistic argument that debunks it and I want some help.

I am very happy in my rational world, where people can't set fire to things with their bare hands or light LEDS using their bioelectricity, and yet this documentary often plays on my mind - it is very well done, what ever is going on, and it doesn't seem to be part of anything bigger. It just stops where it is - what would they have to benefit from in this case?

It may be worth noting that the first video was a small part of a series called "Ring of Fire" still available on Amazon.com - this episode was called 'East of Krakatoa'. Again this appears to add integrity to the story of John Chang, because the rest of the series is just non-paranormal stuff. John Chang stands out because of his alleged incredible skills, but the documentaries were not made to showcase that kind of thing. John Chang really is a very small part of the series.
Mossling

Postby kudayta on September 18th, 2009, 10:56 am 

Mossling wrote:3) John Chang is a very skilled close-quarters conjurer - to the extent he can light an LED between his forefinger and thumb without apparent discovery by scientists analysing him in the way they want to.

Scientists are often times a poor choice for detecting sleight of hand. A professional magician would be a better choice for detecting that.
kudayta

Postby dragslaye on September 18th, 2009, 9:03 pm 

Mossling
Video editing can easily being done
AS for electric shock, yes there are martial art techniques which can knock you out using precision points. About the newspaper, the red flame looks weird at the beginning also the camera is not always focus on what he is doing so I do suspect fool play.
About lighting the LED, yet again it could be done through fool play, no sue how much energy does he need to light that light, but it could be done through chemical reaction
dragslaye

Postby Mossling on September 19th, 2009, 3:11 am 

kudayta - yes a magician's perspective would be good.

dragslaye - If it's video editing - i.e. the documentary team were in on it - pretending to feel electric shocks coming from the guy's belly, etc., then it's easy to debunk it. It's got as much value as Harry Potter movies. The fact that they don't appear to be 'in the business' of wasting their time creating something like that (because it's a small part of a documentary, which is itself part of a larger series which doesn't focus on supernatural stuff) appears to undermine this theory somewhat. At least one of the crew or 'someone in the know' would have leaked something by now, because this footage is actually pretty famous.

I think checking out the Sceintist names and faces would be a first step in looking into the authenticity of the documentary creators. I amy do that today if I have time.

Yeah the red flame at the beginning when the newspaper catches fire - it does look a bit strange, like a possible chemical reaction, and the way he 'packs' the paper - like there's something inside it is a bid weird also. Why didn't he scrunch it in a ball like everyone else does? Why doesn't he just use a flat piece of white paper and produce a scorch mark in the center of it? I guess it's not as impressive - no bright flames to entertain an audience. Indeed; we don't see what he does in the entirety of the demonstration, the camera cuts at times.
Mossling

Postby dragslaye on September 25th, 2009, 5:32 pm 

another thing to note, is the equipment that the so called scientist are caring or rather the lack of it
dragslaye

Postby Mossling on December 17th, 2009, 11:13 am 

Here is the info on the 'scientists' included in the documentary. Who knows what they are up to these days...:

Catherine Nixon Cooke - "CEO of the Mind Science Foundation, Texas"

"Catherine Nixon Cooke is an author and consultant, with more than 20 years of non-profit management experience. She is the former Director of the San Antonio River Foundation; former president and CEO of The Mountain Institute in Washington, D.C.; former Executive Director of the Mind Science Foundation; and former editor-in-chief of Coronet Magazine. She has published articles for numerous magazines and newspapers, and several biographies including Tom Slick Mystery Hunter (Paraview Press, 2005) about the legendary founder of the Mind Science Foundation. She is an elected Fellow of The Explorers Club, and serves on the boards of the Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies, the San Antonio Medical Foundation, the Center for Medical Humanities and Ethics, the San Antonio River Foundation, and the World Affairs Council." Mind Science Foundation 2009

"Education:

degree, Spanish and Sociology
Trinity University
degree, Spanish and Sociology
University of Valencia ( Spain )"
zoominfo.com

Dr. Roger Nelson - "Swedish Medic and International Racing Sailor"

Dr. Greg Simpson - "A Physicist from New York's Albert Einstein University"

"Albert Einstein®
College of Medicine
of Yeshiva University
Jack and Pearl Resnick Campus
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461"
Website

"From: "Gregory V. Simpson, PhD." <simpson@aecom.yu.edu>
To: "'cvnet@skivs.ski.org'" <cvnet@skivs.ski.org>
Subject: Post-Doctoral Openings
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 14:47:55 -0400

Dea Hoover,

Would you please broadcast this ad for post-docs.

Thank you very much,

Greg Simpson
Albert Einstein College of Medicine"
CVNet - Postdoc Neural imaging (Albert Einstein Coll of Med)

However, it now seems he is in San Francisco:

"Gregory V. Simpson, Ph.D.
Director, Dynamic Neuroimaging Laboratory
415-502-6522
Email: greg.simpson@radiology.ucsf.edu
Web: http://dnl.ucsf.edu/"
Dynamic Neuroimaging Laboratory - Network for the study of Brain Systems and Dynamics (NBSD)

--------------------

So it seems they check out as real people - Catherine Cooke's portrait checks out when compared to the video.
Dr. Gregory Simpson appears to be the most qualified and scientific of the lot of them - however, he is NOT APPARENTLY A PHYSICIST as the narrator on the documentary makes out.

Does anyone think we should try to contact Dr Greg Simpson and ask him about what he allegedly witnessed - as a scientist?
Mossling

Postby Sisyphus on December 17th, 2009, 1:15 pm 

I actually used to do magic tricks when I was a kid. "Chi energy revealed!"

Sisyphus
Resident Member

Likes received:3
Blog: View Blog (60)

Postby Mossling on December 17th, 2009, 8:56 pm 

Sisyphus wrote:I actually used to do magic tricks when I was a kid. "Chi energy revealed!"

So did I! My great grandpa was a member of the 'Magic Circle' in the UK. We're talking Victorian times here - he used to levitate people and pass a hoop over them, etc. Great stuff.

I have always been keen to discover how tricks are done, and have read many books and seen many shows revealing the secrets behind them.

With John Chang/Dynamo Jack, however, I find myself stumped in many instances. Why is the (alleged) Dr. Gregory V. Simpson, PhD, putting his career on the line by joining in with the act - i.e. having his body jerked around by John Chang's pretty gentle 'biolectric' touch? (the narrator says the Dr is "trying not show that he feels anything"..hmm)

Scientists Test John Chang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aos0hnwiHt8

My money is on covert hypnosis. Check out how easily Derren Brown manipulates a prior belief in chi energy to control this woman's body:

Derren Brown - Voodoo

And here is another example, from the martial arts world's perspective on chi:

Derren Brown non-touching chi punch

However, this still doesn't explain away the LED. It may be useful to note that Dr Greg Simpson is testing John Chang - with the aim of discovering the source of the phenomena he is displaying. Simpson is not taking part in some magic show and is not part of an audience.

John Chang was even happy to stick electrodes on his perinium to apparently try to give the scientists some data. It's not every day a magician strips down to his underpants in order to appease the curiosity of on-lookers.

Aaargh! We could really do with Dr. Gregory V. Simpson's testimony on this thread.
Mossling

Postby Mossling on August 18th, 2010, 12:29 pm 

I have discovered there is a gadget that John Chang could very liekly be using in order produce effects such as Yigel Mesika's (electric illusionist) 'Electric Touch':

"When you are in the dark, you will actually see the static electricity spark between your fingers! You can actually hear the shock!"

..and apparently it can be used in combination with a M5 SYSTEM Pro PK Psycho Kinetics Micro 5 Kit :

"Raise the spirits by having them turn on a flashlight or small toy"

Plenty of video on youtube which demonstrates the effects.
Mossling

Postby linford86 on August 24th, 2010, 11:03 pm 

Ugh. This has been debunked several times now. You really have to stop and listen to what people are saying.
linford86

Return to Personal Theories