Describe 'Ethics' in one word

Discussions that deal with moral issues. Key questions in ethics include: How should one live? What is right (or wrong) to do? What is the best way for humans to live?

Postby Glen on November 30th, 2007, 11:43 pm 

Shaneen,

The one word that describes ethics is: values. Or maybe: nature.

But then again, the fact that we would have to make a conscious effort or decision to be ethical is kind of an admission that we have a propensity for unethical behavior. So, in an indirect, warped way, ethics could be described as a "confession" as to what we really want to do.

Otherwise, I just don't know.
Glen
Banned User

Likes received:1

Postby Shaneen on December 1st, 2007, 5:24 am 

Hellbilly wrote:
Human beings have ............to enable them to make changes, influence others, to become who they are etc.

Blimey...

Ambition, creativity, imagination, control, humility, humour, intellect, values, filters...?

You are getting close with 'control'
Shaneen

Postby Shaneen on December 1st, 2007, 5:38 am 

Hellbilly wrote:
Or is it law that creates or destroys order or both ethics and law? What do we use when we are trying to create order, Shaneen

Fear
Yes I think that is right in many instances, but it is not fear that we use to create order - it may be a cause or incentive for attempting to create order. We use our..........to create order and this way of creating order can be good or bad.
Shaneen

Postby Shaneen on December 1st, 2007, 5:44 am 

Glen wrote:Shaneen,

The one word that describes ethics is: values. Or maybe: nature.

But then again, the fact that we would have to make a conscious effort or decision to be ethical is kind of an admission that we have a propensity for unethical behavior. So, in an indirect, warped way, ethics could be described as a "confession" as to what we really want to do.

Otherwise, I just don't know.
Remember this is a famous point in lectures in ethics by Dr Peter Isaacs - a lot might not agree that they are synonomous but they are definitely linked - this word and ethics and he uses them as synonomous -
Shaneen

Postby darey on December 1st, 2007, 5:52 am 

In my imagination I can describe and design ethics any way I want to.
darey
Banned User

Postby Shaneen on December 1st, 2007, 5:57 am 

tess wrote:pluralistic, you say?

different values that are revelant solely to ourselves, another layer that we share as a family, community and so on but we also have universal values

Sure, we can come up with multiple explanations to account for their nature . However, when it comes to humans it comes down to our DNA , environment and and forces unknown to us.

Universal values

Give me an example pls but not the recent studies about universal morality because in the end of the day they are just speculations.

Sorry not sure how to address this post: but I'll start with philosophy is about making distinctions and although it draws on empirical dimensions, philosophers appeal to the empirical using critical reasoning - so I think I get your point. Philosophy provides moral or ethical theories to come up with reasons to justify a particular course of action - or to judge it right or wrong. But we as human beings have something that enables us to do this and one person (sorry can't think who it was off the top of my head) came close by suggesting 'control'

For example, Society would not exist if there wasn't a need for other people and a need to survive. Keep going please

Sure , you call it sophisticated instinct and sociology explains it.
Shaneen

Postby Shaneen on December 1st, 2007, 6:02 am 

darey wrote:In my imagination I can describe and design ethics any way I want to.

Good for you - and there are many ways - and all the ways people are giving a great! cheers Shaneen
Shaneen

Postby darey on December 1st, 2007, 6:43 am 

If you agree we can and do describe, define and design "ethics" any way we want to, through our imagination, then why did you pose your question in the opening post?
darey
Banned User

Postby Shaneen on December 1st, 2007, 7:13 am 

darey wrote:If you agree we can and do describe, define and design "ethics" any way we want to, through our imagination, then why did you pose your question in the opening post?

Well because I am new to this and I didn't know what to expect and you may not have been following the postings( I haven't been for a lot that I have answered) but I have been giving clues. Anyway the long and the short of it is I am tutor in ethics in health for paramedics and nurses. Dr Peter Isaacs the lecturer always defines it in this way ethics is synonomous with.... but others may say it is an element of or part of but not synonomous with, but they are certainly closely related. The closest someone has come to the word I am looking for is 'control' Shaneen
Shaneen

Postby Glen on December 1st, 2007, 11:05 am 

Shaneen,

The word is: Restraint.
Or: wisdom.
Glen
Banned User

Postby Shaneen on December 1st, 2007, 5:50 pm 

The word is: Restraint.
Or: wisdom.
Sorry no, but I get the impression you are following the hints - so you are going the right way, but look for a more assertive word that is close to control.
Shaneen

Postby Glen on December 1st, 2007, 8:18 pm 

Shaneen,

Several words come to mind now. They are: Authority, discretion, and commandments. On second thought, forget discretion.
Glen
Banned User

Postby Shaneen on December 2nd, 2007, 2:17 am 

Several words come to mind now. They are: Authority, discretion, and commandments. On second thought, forget discretion.

The closest to the 'right' one is authority - what comes with authority
Shaneen

Postby jimtrouble on December 2nd, 2007, 3:19 am 

rules .. so norms and constraints are the essence of an ethos

normativity is what is of interest to anyone interested in why we do what we do and how we could do it better
jimtrouble
Forum Neophyte

Postby cantskate on December 2nd, 2007, 5:28 am 

I'd describe ethics as community.

Basically ethics are the glue that holds society together as one community. A solid community of people are, in my experience, very ethical people. And those ethics are derived from their emphasis on and interaction as a community.
cantskate

Postby Glen on December 2nd, 2007, 3:00 pm 

Shaneen,

Responsibility!

If that's not it, how about: Policy.
Glen
Banned User

Postby Shaneen on December 2nd, 2007, 5:50 pm 

Responsibility!

If that's not it, how about: Policy.
How about keeping with the word P and think of control,
Shaneen

Postby Shaneen on December 2nd, 2007, 5:52 pm 

cantskate wrote:I'd describe ethics as community.

Basically ethics are the glue that holds society together as one community. A solid community of people are, in my experience, very ethical people. And those ethics are derived from their emphasis on and interaction as a community.

yes they are but in a community we ought to behave in an ethical way that it good - it is about interacting but each invididual has to have something to be able to do this
Shaneen

Postby Shaneen on December 2nd, 2007, 5:54 pm 

jimtrouble wrote:rules .. so norms and constraints are the essence of an ethos

normativity is what is of interest to anyone interested in why we do what we do and how we could do it better
I am beginning to think I have made this too hard - someone last night said I was confusing so I hope I am not irritating everyone but it is one work and it begins with P
Shaneen

Postby tess on December 2nd, 2007, 5:59 pm 

Principles?
Philosophy ?
tess

Postby Shaneen on December 2nd, 2007, 6:16 pm 

tess wrote:Principles?
Philosophy ?
sorry no, another hint it has five letters
Shaneen

Re: Describe 'Ethics' in one word

Postby henriette on December 2nd, 2007, 6:22 pm 

Describe 'Ethics' in one word

Sacrifice because Ethics, from the very beginning of flat stone altars, is surely rooted in the acceptance by the community of the sacrifice of a self.
henriette

Postby jimtrouble on December 3rd, 2007, 12:05 am 

one of these..

pacas paced pacer paces pacha packs
pacts paddy padle padre paean paeon pagan paged pager pages pagod paiks
pails pains paint pairs paisa paise palea paled paler pales palet palls
pally palms palmy palpi palps palsy pampa panda pandy paned panel panes
panga pangs panic panne pansy panto pants papal papas papaw paper pappy
paras parch pardi pards pardy pared pareo parer pares pareu parge parka
parks parle parol parrs parry parse parts party paseo pasha passe pasta
paste pasts pasty patch pated paten pater pates paths patin patio patly
patsy patty pause pavan paved paver paves pavid pavin pavis pawed pawky
pawls pawns paxes payed payee payer peach peags peaks peaky peals
peans pearl pears peart pease peats peaty peavy pecan pechs pecks pedal
pedro peeks peels peens peeps peers peery peeve peins peise pekan pekes
pekoe peles pelfs pelts penal pence pends penes penis penna penne penny
peons peony pepla pepos peppy perch perdu perdy peril peris perks perky
perms perry perse pesky pesos pylon pyoid pyres pyxes pyxis

..but a good one is peace.
jimtrouble
Forum Neophyte

Postby darey on December 3rd, 2007, 4:53 am 

power
darey
Banned User

Postby Shaneen on December 3rd, 2007, 9:21 pm 

darey wrote:power

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shaneen

Postby darey on December 4th, 2007, 6:10 am 

Now back to what I was getting at earlier,

"Power" is the word that you THINK best describes ethics in one word. The word "power" is NOT the correct answer to your question. It was shown throughout this post that there can be just as many different definitions as there are people.

There is no one absolute defintion to any one word just like there is no one absolute truth. Truth like a word's definition are each relative to how many people agree with it. I could say CHOICE describes "ethics" in one word, and that all people have a choice in how they show their power over others.

So, what was the purpose of this post?
darey
Banned User

Postby tess on December 4th, 2007, 11:07 am 

Code: Select all
darey wrote:
power

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

??? Explain.

there can be just as many different definitions as there are people.

If so, then the word 'ethics' is completely useless. Words are used to communicate. When every person understands different thing, associated with such word, then this word becomes worthless in statement or discussion. Funny enough, I think Philosophy is full of such words.
This is the reason why there is so much confusion in it. Take any of those words:
Mind
God
Consciousness
Will
Belief
Reason
Freedom
ETC

You all discuss those issues till dawn.

BUT

In the end of the day, most of you understand different things under those words.

How can those discussions be constructive and meaningful?
Last edited by tess on December 4th, 2007, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tess

Postby Glen on December 4th, 2007, 11:50 am 

darey,

Just curious. If "power" is not the word that defines ethics -- and I agree with you -- how in hell did you know that Shaneen held that definition?
Glen
Banned User

Postby Shaneen on December 4th, 2007, 7:41 pm 

darey wrote:Now back to what I was getting at earlier,

"Power" is the word that you THINK best describes ethics in one word. The word "power" is NOT the correct answer to your question. It was shown throughout this post that there can be just as many different definitions as there are people.

There is no one absolute defintion to any one word just like there is no one absolute truth. Truth like a word's definition are each relative to how many people agree with it. I could say CHOICE describes "ethics" in one word, and that all people have a choice in how they show their power over others.

So, what was the purpose of this post?

I agree that no everyone would agree and rightly so - but this is a famous opinion of Dr Peter Isaacs who teaches ethics. We all need power to behave in a certain way - right or wrong, good or bad - I agree that choice is a good word although I would think that choice is more limited than power and leans more toward an extentialist standpoint. But remember philosophy is about making distinctions and arguing your views and position, Shaneen - I so think that is the point of this post
Shaneen

Postby Annemieke on December 5th, 2007, 2:39 am 

I think it is a very interesting way of describing ethics.
Personally I think they are not the same, but they should develop simultaneously. Without power you get empty ethics and without ethics you get uncontrolled power.
So they belong together, but are very different in expression.
Annemieke

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics