Anonymous

Discussions that deal with moral issues. Key questions in ethics include: How should one live? What is right (or wrong) to do? What is the best way for humans to live?

Re: Anonymous

Postby Braininvat on October 14th, 2016, 7:53 pm 

And I should know, I've been a lawyer for forty years.

-- Lomax

Haha.

Agree there's not much hope of prosecution of Net flimflam and posing. Caveat lector.

Paul, I once lived in an area of Boston with many residents of both Italian and Polish ancestry. The Italian surnames were far easier to spell and pronounce than the Polish. I'd rather spell Vincente Colantonio than Karl Wojiceskawicz any day.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Paul Anthony on October 14th, 2016, 8:20 pm 

Braininvat » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:53 pm wrote:
Paul, I once lived in an area of Boston with many residents of both Italian and Polish ancestry. The Italian surnames were far easier to spell and pronounce than the Polish. I'd rather spell Vincente Colantonio than Karl Wojiceskawicz any day.

Most Italian names can be easily pronounced phonetically, with a few exceptions. I was blessed with one of those exceptional names. There is no "K" in the Italian alphabet. "CHI" is pronounced "KEY". "CC" is pronounced like "CH" is in English.

I worked for an Italian man for 14 years who never managed to pronounce my name correctly. Fortunately, we were on a first-name basis, but whenever he tried to introduce me to someone he'd butcher it and I'd smile while cringing inside. :)
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on October 14th, 2016, 11:40 pm 

Yeah, i remember when mia eposa played in the pit orchestra for the Puccini opera, "Gianni Schicchi," and my mangled try at the name was corrected, so I learned it was "Zhonny Skeeky."

What's the matter with the Greeks, they couldn't let the Romans have their K?
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Ethics