Is Discrimination Always Wrong?

Discussions that deal with moral issues. Key questions in ethics include: How should one live? What is right (or wrong) to do? What is the best way for humans to live?

Re: Is Discrimination Always Wrong?

Postby Serpent on April 9th, 2016, 10:14 am 

Does anybody know the statistical breakdown of charges of violent crime? Like, say, how many cases of "resisting arrest" and "assault on a police officer" they might include? We do know that the former often means running and the latter often involves putting your face in front of the cop's fist. Seems to me an interesting starting-point for an investigation into the ratio of who committed what.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on April 9th, 2016, 11:20 am 

mtbturtle » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:03 pm wrote:ron,

Have you considered that perhaps the media you regularly consume has given you an incorrect and distorted view of the Black Community and especially movements like BLM? Are you willing to admit that all your opinions regarding crime and blacks just might be wrong?

As I have mentioned in the past, the vast majority of the media that I personally consume on a day to day basis actually comes from the Liberal/Progressive side, but I do also follow a number of conservative websites on a day to day basis also to make sure that I am also getting the other side of the story. So unless all of them are giving me a really incorrect and distorted view of the Black Community and movements like BLM, I feel very confident in the personal opinions that I have arrived at about all of this. And again, some of my opinions about this also comes from my personal experience(s) living here in Chicago.

Yes, I am willing to personally admit that some of my opinions about almost anything may be wrong mtbturtle, but on this particular subject, I personally believe that the vast majority of what I am trying to say here is basically correct, or "right on the money" so to speak. And I would not have said what I said here publicly about such a really touchy subject unless I very firmly believed this.

Well that's it for me at least on this particular subject, and I am going to move on to a different subject from now on.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on April 9th, 2016, 12:31 pm 

In my web experience, a boldly declared departure from a thread is usually followed by a return shortly thereafter. :-)

Perhaps, instead of arguing about media/web bias, we could look at some statistical breakdowns of violent crime, as Serpent suggested. If there is any credible statistical access to officer-provoked violence. I mean, who writes up the arrest reports?
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on April 9th, 2016, 2:58 pm 

There is another aspect of violent crime - which might even be seen as two other aspects:

People enjoy a degree of privacy directly proportional to their economic circumstances. If you live in an affluent suburb, most of your private life takes place behind closed doors... blinds, tall fences, etc. Nobody knows how many stock brokers and dental surgeons beat their wives. The wives and families keep mum. And should the stock-broker and dental surgeon come to blows over the location of their mutual back fence, they're unlikely to be arrested: the respectful police officer will caution them and tiptoe off their porch. Of course, they rarely come to blows: they can afford to sue each other.
Meanwhile, poor people live out all their conflicts and frustrations on the street, in the local pub, in the school-yard and cramped apartment buildings. Everybody knows who's having a go at whom, and why; everybody talks and gets involved. And if two guys have a scuffle in a poor neighbourhood, the police don't hesitate to arrest them - plus half a dozen supporters on each side.

So, you have a difference in means and location of working out interpersonal conflict, as well as a difference of police attitude, of how such conflicts are treated by the law. Not only do these factor into the perception of crime and skew the statistics, but those same perceptions then feed back into the attitudes which feed the statistics. It's very difficult to get a true perspective.
Serpent
Resident Member

Braininvat liked this post

Postby mtbturtle on April 9th, 2016, 3:55 pm 

ronjanec » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:20 am wrote:
mtbturtle » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:03 pm wrote:ron,

Have you considered that perhaps the media you regularly consume has given you an incorrect and distorted view of the Black Community and especially movements like BLM? Are you willing to admit that all your opinions regarding crime and blacks just might be wrong?

As I have mentioned in the past, the vast majority of the media that I personally consume on a day to day basis actually comes from the Liberal/Progressive side, but I do also follow a number of conservative websites on a day to day basis also to make sure that I am also getting the other side of the story. So unless all of them are giving me a really incorrect and distorted view of the Black Community and movements like BLM, I feel very confident in the personal opinions that I have arrived at about all of this. And again, some of my opinions about this also comes from my personal experience(s) living here in Chicago.

Yes, I am willing to personally admit that some of my opinions about almost anything may be wrong mtbturtle, but on this particular subject, I personally believe that the vast majority of what I am trying to say here is basically correct, or "right on the money" so to speak. And I would not have said what I said here publicly about such a really touchy subject unless I very firmly believed this.

Well that's it for me at least on this particular subject, and I am going to move on to a different subject from now on.

The MSM there is no real liberal/progressive media, it is mostly really conservative serving those in power and what liberal/progressive media we do have, I doubt you are reading, watching. In anycase I don't doubt for a minute that the news you consume has distorted your views. But hey if you want to have opinions on Black Authors and the Black Community you might consider consulting Black media, just a thought. If you read Michelle Alexander a Black Author you will find out how wrong you are about so many things.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Neri on October 2nd, 2016, 9:42 am 

Discrimination

I think one should be clear as to how the law treats certain kinds of discrimination. Discrimination per se is not prohibited under the constitution and laws of the United States. Obviously, we are not expected to be indiscriminate in all that we do. The law prohibits what is called “invidious discrimination”—discrimination on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex or sexual preference.

The immigration process is essentially a discriminatory process. Certainly, discriminating on the basis of criminal background, the possibility of employment in the US, the need for particular skills in the US, the extent of the applicant’s education and the like are all quite proper forms of discrimination. On the other hand, discrimination on the basis of religion is violative of the US constitution and laws.

Discrimination in immigration on the basis that the applicant resides in a country that is a hotbed of terrorism--under circumstances where there is no effective means of determining who is or is not a terrorist-- has not been held to be invidious discrimination under US law—at least by the Supreme court as presently constituted.

Racial Distribution of Violent Crimes

Whites commit about 34 percent of violent crimes, and blacks commit about 34 percent. Other racial groups commit the rest. This means that in hard numbers blacks and whites commit about the same amount of violent crimes. However, whites make up about 78 percent of the population while black make up only about 12 percent. This means that, on a per capita basis, blacks are about six times more likely than whites to commit violent crimes. Still, it should be borne in mind that only a small percentage of black and whites (or other racial groups, for that matter) commit violent crimes—about 38 per 100,000 blacks and about 6 per 100,000 whites.
Neri

Previous

Return to Ethics