Is there an absolute morality?

Discussions that deal with moral issues. Key questions in ethics include: How should one live? What is right (or wrong) to do? What is the best way for humans to live?

Is there an absolute morality?

Postby Alan McDougall on March 28th, 2016, 9:14 am 

My question revolves around what is ethical and moral and what are the boundaries

To a wife of a native, it is both moral and ethical to eat the brain of her dead husband to keep his essence within herself
To me killing a bird gives me a guilty conscience and I feel it as personally immoral (I have never killed a bird)

What I am aiming at here is not some ethical philosophy, but to find by debate if there is an innate ingrained universal morality, which no human will step over.

Is there a bar that no one will step over, or is it constantly being raised or lowered due to circumstances of the day?

These differencing in morals and perceptions of morals might account for most of the troubled history down the annals of human history and suffering
Alan McDougall
Banned User

Re: Is there an absolute morality?

Postby Natural ChemE on March 28th, 2016, 9:30 am 

Alan McDougall,

Historically, the concept of absolute morality often made sense in the context of religion or/and isolated communities. In religious contexts, the one true morality could be defined by God or similar entity. In isolated communities, the lack of diversity could make counter-examples to absolute morality relatively difficult to imagine.

In modern times, absolute morality is dismissed as a historic misconception. At least in the ivory tower or whatever; some folks still believe that the world's flat.

I don't know this for sure, though I suspect that some religions will still advocate an absolute moral code. Such absolute moral codes make sense in the context of a God.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Lomax on March 28th, 2016, 9:36 am 

Natural ChemE,

There seems a semantic misstep in your reply. To follow the logic of A.J. Ayer: if the morality is not relative to the decree of religion then it is absolute, not the other way about. If you had to find out what Quetzalcoatl deems moral, then it would be relative to that.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby Natural ChemE on March 28th, 2016, 10:00 am 

Lomax,

I'm having some trouble seeing the connection. Could you show me which statement you felt wasn't quite on-track?
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Return to Ethics