Is Pragmatism a Personal Attack?

Discussions that deal with moral issues. Key questions in ethics include: How should one live? What is right (or wrong) to do? What is the best way for humans to live?

Is Pragmatism a Personal Attack?

Postby Daktoria on October 5th, 2012, 8:45 pm 

I've been wondering about this one for a while.

Pragmatism is subjective in that it depends on how someone interprets and experiences an instrument. Therefore, it presumes that a particular (sort of) interpretation and/or experience takes place.

Unfortunately, everyone doesn't have the same interpretations or experiences, so pragmatism seems to attack those who interpret and experience instruments differently from the norm, especially if those experiences are traumatizing to the point that people can't communicate what they've experienced.

Therefore, is pragmatism a personal attack, and should it be prohibited from any sort of ethical discourse?
Daktoria
Banned User
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 28 Jan 2010


Re: Is Pragmatism a Personal Attack?

Postby JohnD on October 6th, 2012, 12:25 am 

Daktoria wrote:I've been wondering about this one for a while.

Pragmatism is subjective in that it depends on how someone interprets and experiences an instrument. Therefore, it presumes that a particular (sort of) interpretation and/or experience takes place.

Unfortunately, everyone doesn't have the same interpretations or experiences, so pragmatism seems to attack those who interpret and experience instruments differently from the norm, especially if those experiences are traumatizing to the point that people can't communicate what they've experienced.

Therefore, is pragmatism a personal attack, and should it be prohibited from any sort of ethical discourse?

Seeing as all thoughts, decisions and actions are based on enviromental factors it would be very difficult. The only way it can be judged is if a person found what is written to be objectionable in some way.
JohnD
Member
 
Posts: 656
Joined: 31 May 2012
Location: Australia
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: Is Pragmatism a Personal Attack?

Postby Daktoria on October 7th, 2012, 6:52 am 

JohnD wrote:Seeing as all thoughts, decisions and actions are based on enviromental factors it would be very difficult. The only way it can be judged is if a person found what is written to be objectionable in some way.


What do you mean by "it"?
Daktoria
Banned User
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 28 Jan 2010


Re: Is Pragmatism a Personal Attack?

Postby Ursa Minimus on October 8th, 2012, 7:54 am 

Daktoria wrote:Pragmatism is subjective ...


Pragmatism relies on intersubjectivity to escape the problems of purely subjective and objective stances.
User avatar
Ursa Minimus
Member
 
Posts: 605
Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Location: Northwoods, USA


Re: Is Pragmatism a Personal Attack?

Postby JohnD on October 8th, 2012, 10:10 pm 

Daktoria wrote:
JohnD wrote:Seeing as all thoughts, decisions and actions are based on enviromental factors it would be very difficult. The only way it can be judged is if a person found what is written to be objectionable in some way.


What do you mean by "it"?

Every thought and subsequently every action is subject to our interaction with our surroundings as well as our wellbeing. If in being pragmatic, which we can all be at one point, a person is deemed to be making a personal attack I think that would be beyond pragmatism.
To label all pragmatism as a personal attack is akin to saying that all people of a particular nationality or particular religion are prone to certain thoughts or actions.
"It" refers to the idea of proving that Pragmatism in general is a personal attack.
JohnD
Member
 
Posts: 656
Joined: 31 May 2012
Location: Australia
Blog: View Blog (2)



Return to Ethics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests