Information is power, now for just the few...

Discussions that deal with moral issues. Key questions in ethics include: How should one live? What is right (or wrong) to do? What is the best way for humans to live?

Information is power, now for just the few...

Postby BadBoyofCosmology on August 9th, 2012, 3:42 pm 

Our lives revolve around the technology of our world. Unix and their systems control websites, phones, and more as all devises are becoming "smart".

Those who know the unix related programs have more power to control their world, more comfort, more freedom, more opportunities than those who don't know UNIX.

An advantage. Who gets this advantage?

You would think that a person could get information to learn unix, in a free society. Think again.

After 30 plus years of teaching myself programmingI know how to get books, ask questions, find AVAILABLE information. I was always able to control my property and intellectual pursuits.

You cannot get begginner info for UNIX. One example of many: I read 12 books with perl "visitor form". All 12 combined plus two weeks begging for info from "online help" didn't give enough information to write a working program.

Threre hundred years ago, the Catholic Church owned the info. You had to ask their permission to read any book. Online help is the same....you beg for info that should be public, and have no power over the answer you get, if you get an answer.

I find this disturbing, any thinking person should. UNIX is defining our future as second-class citizens.
BadBoyofCosmology
Banned User

Re: Information is power, now for just the few...

Postby BadBoyofCosmology on August 11th, 2012, 11:25 pm 

We've taken care of everything The words you hear, the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
It's one for all and all for one We work together, common sons
Never need to wonder how or why
We are the priests of the temples of Syrinx
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls
We are the priests of the temples of Syrinx
All the gifts of life are held within our walls
Look around at this world we've made Equality our stock in trade
Come and join the brotherhood of man
Oh what a nice, contented world