Fossils

Discussions unearthing human history including cultural anthropology, linguistics, etc.

Fossils

Postby BadgerJelly on September 12th, 2012, 5:28 am 

What knowledge is there of ancient/prehistoric man and his impression and reasoning about what fossils are?

There are countless gastropod fossils and the spiral pattern is something that is something magical in the world of mathematics and how the universe works (Golden ratio).

ANY feedback relating to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Note : Speculation is welcome when considering prehistoric man. I do know they did revere fossil in some sense be it in a purely aesthetic or not is where we need to speculate. I can see it as a puzzle to prehistoric man.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Fossils

Postby Forest_Dump on September 12th, 2012, 3:18 pm 

Fossils were definitely known toprehistoric people and were sometimes drilled and worn as parts of necklaces, fossil shark teeth were sometimes used as arrowheads and fossils were sometimes included in charm bundles, etc. Since people were certainly aware of the shape, etc., of bones of fish, shellfish, mammals, etc., from hunting gathering and eating them, prehistoric people recognized what fossils were and these probably account for legends about dragons (dinosaur bones) and also probably account for myths about the earth originally being covered by water (i.e., earth diver myths) and/or global floods such as the Noah's ark story.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Re: Fossils

Postby DragonFly on September 12th, 2012, 3:57 pm 

Recently, there has been a find in Johannesburg of proto man with with mixture of ape and human characteristics. Called Sedantis or something like that.
DragonFly
Resident Member

Return to Archaeology