Why has gold always been of interest?

Discussions unearthing human history including cultural anthropology, linguistics, etc.

Why has gold always been of interest?

Postby Ryan99 on September 27th, 2011, 9:18 pm 

Going back from thousands of years until even now.
Ryan99

Re: Why has gold always been of interest?

Postby Forest_Dump on September 27th, 2011, 9:36 pm 

It hasn't. There are many cases where people walked right past visible surface deposits of gold for centuries or millennia to get at copper or flint. But some complex cultures developed an interest in gold because it is incorruptible and because it is yellow.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby weakmagneto on February 27th, 2012, 11:06 pm 

Some pretty interesting theories out there that I have read about. I have pondered that question, too. So I went back and looked at the oldest civilizations. You might start there. I found the works of Michael Tellinger and Zecharia Sitchin very interesting and definitely different from the academic point-of-views.
weakmagneto

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Forest_Dump on February 28th, 2012, 5:40 am 

weakmagneto wrote:Some pretty interesting theories out there that I have read about. I have pondered that question, too. So I went back and looked at the oldest civilizations. You might start there. I found the works of Michael Tellinger and Zecharia Sitchin very interesting and definitely different from the academic point-of-views.

Could you provide any references or, even better, some kind of brief summary? I would be interested to know what they are basing their theories on and what these theories are.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby weakmagneto on February 28th, 2012, 9:52 am 

This was an excellent summary I found on a website about Sitchin:
"Sitchin was born in Russia, was raised in Palestine, graduated from the University of London with a degree in economic history. He worked for years as a journalist and editor in Israel before settling in New York.

Sitchin, like Velikovsky and Däniken, presents a compelling and entertaining story based on belief about ancient visitors from other worlds. Zecharia Sitchin's key ideas are based on the assumption that ancient myths are not myths but historical and scientific texts. According to Sitchin, ancient Sumerian clay tablets reveal that gods from another planet (Nibiru, which orbits our Sun every 3,600 years) arrived on Earth some 450,000 years ago and created humans by genetic engineering of female apes."

A summary I found on Michael Tellinger's work:
" Michael Tellinger is a scientist, explorer and internationally acclaimed author who has become an authority on the origins of humankind and the vanished civilisations of southern Africa.

Scholars have told us that the first civilisation on Earth emerged in a land called Sumer some 6000 years ago. New archaeological and scientific discoveries made by Michael Tellinger, and a team of leading scientists, show that the Sumerians and even the Egyptians inherited all their knowledge from an earlier civilisation that lived at the southern tip of Africa more than 200,000 years ago… mining gold.

These were also the people who carved the first Horus bird, the first Sphinx, built the first pyramids and built an accurate stone calendar right in the heart of it all. Adam's Calendar is the flagship among millions of circular stone ruins, ancient roads, agricultural terraces and thousands of ancient mines, left behind by a vanished civilisation which we now call the FIRST PEOPLE. These settlements cover most of southern Africa, equivalent to an area about twice the size of Texas.

They carved detailed images into the hardest rock, worshiped the sun, and were the first to carve an image of the Egyptian Ankh – key of life and universal knowledge, 200,000 years before the Egyptians came to light."

Michael Tellinger's theories are similar to that of Sitchin. They both believe that ancient astronauts genetically engineered man into existence to become their slaves.

Sitchin bases his theories on his translation and interpretation of the ancient Sumerian cuneiform documents. The theory is that the cuneiform tablets record actual events rather than mythological tales. Michael Tellinger bases his work largely on Sitchin's theory with regard to Adam's Calendar. Controversial to say the least and both their works have been widely disputed, but it provides an interesting perspective nonetheless.
weakmagneto

Postby Forest_Dump on February 28th, 2012, 10:47 am 

Well I am a bit more conversant on the archaeology of southern Africa and suffice to say that there isn't any evidence whatsoever for any of that, at least in the archaeological literature. Interesting it may be but lets put it this way - at least they acknowledge the earth was around 200,000 years ago. Beyond that it sounds like a weaker version of von Daniken plus a bit of scientology mixed in. I think this stuff can be scrapped no matter how entertaining it might be. But if you want to buy into it, I have a nice vial of genetically engineered Bronotsaurus DNA you might be interested in buying. It is so well-engineered I have managed to make it in two versions - one is now identical to human and one is identical to dog.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby weakmagneto on February 28th, 2012, 11:03 am 

I'm not buying into it, but I love hearing fantastic theories (must be the writer in me). I think the world is a much bigger place than what we see and know and remain open-minded when it comes to many things.
weakmagneto

Postby Alan Masterman on June 24th, 2012, 12:44 pm 

Three reasons come to mind, after a minute's reflection.

1) Gold, even more so than copper, is perfectly ductile. You can hammer it into any shape you like, and it won't protest.

2) Gold is quite rare.

3) Gold appears to be incorruptible. Unlike copper, it won't oxidise; and very few compounds will corrode it.
Alan Masterman

Postby moranity on June 24th, 2012, 12:55 pm 

i think that rich people needed to horde wealth(surplus food) convieniently so as to maintain their power. so the practice of symbolic wealth(currency) developed and gold was chosen because its many advantages, it has no intrinsic value. thus gold became the currency of choice for those who have more than enough food.
moranity

Return to Archaeology