Ancient Communities & Land Distribution between Members

Discussions unearthing human history including cultural anthropology, linguistics, etc.

Re: Ancient Communities & Land Distribution between Members

Postby genemachine on February 28th, 2012, 7:36 pm 

I am reading a good book on some related topics:

War in Human Civilization by Azar Gat
genemachine

Postby Mossling on February 28th, 2012, 10:05 pm 

weakmagneto wrote:the Native Americans had no concept of ownership and shared freely among themselves.

I'm not sure that this was the case for all Native Americans, but it would be very interesting to hear more about this idea.

How, for example, would some food being held shortly before it was to be eaten by the person holding it be considered relative to the person? Could it just be taken from their hand without any idea of it having been 'claimed'? What if that person had put it down next to them? What if it had been put down a distance away from them?, Etc.

There must have been some kind of line drawn regarding just taking stuff when one wanted it....
Mossling

Postby weakmagneto on February 28th, 2012, 10:52 pm 

Simple answer, respect. One of the values that were important to many of our peoples. Native Americans are definitely a diverse group which by no means do I intend to generalize (I did not say "all"). However, many Native Americans had their own laws, code of ethics, beliefs and values prior to contact which was ever so important to their survival.
weakmagneto

Blog: View Blog (6)

Previous

Return to Archaeology