Summer Solar Health

This is not an everything goes forum, but rather a place to ask questions and request help for developing your ideas.

Summer Solar Health

Postby zetreque on July 4th, 2015, 12:34 am 

It has been proven (or linked/correlated many in Randomized double blind placebo control (RDBPC) studies) time and again that Vitamin D is one of the most important things to our health. I don't think I even need to cite anything because of how much I have read about it. Out of all the supplements I have researched, it seems like the safest and most important one. Omega 3 being second. Fortified B vitamins don't have a lot, but not as much support, and in fact man made folic acid has some studies against it (I would have to find them again if someone asked but that's off the topic and is however supported for preventing neural tube defects.)

Of course Vitamin D is not really a vitamin but a hormone that has a sequence of steps and different forms as it is converted by the sun hitting our skin. They are also finding receptors for Vitamin D in nearly ever place in the body.

I have read countless articles blaming vitamin D deficiency on just about every medical condition in the book (even the black plague that is also blamed by the introduction of added sugar to diets around that time which also appears sugar depletes vitamin D levels), and they have correlated these medical conditions to latitude (how far away you live from the equator), skin color (how much melanin you have in your skin), and factors like, sunscreen, or if you spend time indoors or in a city where skyscrapers block out the sun.

I have a theory that it is one reason people get sick after going on vacation. Another primary reason is being around a lot of germs while traveling, eating different foods than normal, and travel stress, but I also was thinking that during most vacations people I know go on that get sick, they get a lot more sunlight than normal, and on returning home it is a drastic fluctuation in vitamin D levels that throw the immune system off. That is not a very solid theory and not what this thread is about however.

What I am wondering about is: There certainly seems to be a lot of evidence for the health aspects of vitamin D levels (around 50-60 ng/ml when it finally reaches all the receptors in your body), and getting more of it in the summer time, but is there some other type of solar radiation that we do not yet understand or know about that gives health benefits? I swear that I can have the window blinds completely shut blocking out all outside light, and not know what the weather forecast is, but wake-up in the dark feeling that it is an exceptionally more than average beautiful sunny day outside. Sure enough it is. I also have first hand witnessed and kept track of being sicker at night time. If anyone has ever paid attention while they were sick, or had any sort of severe illness, you know how miserable nights can be. There are of course reasons for this, such as our internal Circadian Rhythms / clock which is at least partially responsible for the swings in hormone levels during the times when we are supposed to be sleeping. There is also evidence I have read in the past showing an increase in deaths during the winter months and night time (yet more papers about vitamin D correlations).

Is it really all about vitamin D, and circadian rhythms (indeed it might be) or is there something else, and I am thinking Solar radiation that the Earth blocks out when the Earth is between us and the Sun. After all my research into Vitamin D and circadian rhythms, I can't help but think there is something missing that has to do with the Sun that we don't know about. What kinds of radiation does the sun output that is weak enough to not penetrate the Earth, but strong enough to possibly penetrate clothing, a house, and interact with atoms and can possible have some sort of effect on us?

I got to thinking about this again because yesterday we had a visitor in the chatroom thinking he could feel that air was heavier but thought it was a crazy idea. Sure enough though, we can feel the change somtimes in barometric pressure when the weather changes.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Summer Solar Health

Postby TheVat on July 4th, 2015, 10:12 am 

I feel such solar effects are indirect, given how the sun causally affects so many aspects of our environment. Death rates rise in winter due to increase in viral infections picking off the old and infirm, which is due to the fact that more confinement indoors aids the spread of viruses. That's why they call it "flu season."

I am a skeptic of the vitamin D fad, though I recognize its benefits. In developed countries, many foods have D added and we get far more than my ancestors in Norway who were, nevertheless, robust people with big bones. You can certanly question the factoid I was raised with, that 15 minutes of sun on your forearms gives you a days supply of D. Maybe that's wrong, but more evidence needs to be sifted IMO. And that figure might be accurate for Irish-Norse-English folk like me, but not others with more melanin.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on September 16th, 2015, 1:57 pm 

https://youtu.be/7RVE3WRlR0A?t=6m47s

A picture of the sun through the earth.

While humans are made out of water, I'm not saying they are great neutrino detectors. Just posting this interesting and cool factoid.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on September 21st, 2018, 3:56 pm 

Listening to Jack Kruse about EMF and he is out there... I did pick up some stuff to look into though.

Subcutaneous white adipocytes express a light sensitive signaling pathway mediated via a melanopsin/TRPC channel axis
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-16689-4
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Personal Theories