Piece of science

Discussions on general chemistry and chemical engineering, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, etc.

Piece of science

Postby Crystal grower on April 23rd, 2016, 9:43 am 

Hello everyone, me and my friend are very, very keen on chemistry. We want to share with you our knowledge, synthesis and experiments with cool photos. You can find it all on our website, link:
[mod edit: link removed]
Please do not delete this post, we aren't going to have any money, profit from this website, we just want to share our passion with you!
Thanks for every visit, if you have any question about us, or you even want to join our chemistry team (we are still looking for someone to help with our project), feel free to contact us!
Our e-mail adress: [mod edit: email removed]

Here are some photos from articles on our website (or from articles that haven't been publiced yet) :
Attachments
potassium-dichromate-1-1024x683.png
bismuth2-1024x683.png
10337732_290795694430922_2107088597485888154_n.jpg
molybdenite2-1024x683.png
H3BO3.png
Last edited by Natural ChemE on April 23rd, 2016, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed URL and email address.
Crystal grower
Forum Neophyte

Re: Piece of science

Postby Natural ChemE on April 23rd, 2016, 10:50 am 

Crystal grower,

Welcome to the forums!

As a mod, I'd note that we usually ban advertisers. However, because I don't perceive your post to be commercial spam, I just took out the URL and email address.

This isn't to say that your website isn't appreciated. In fact, if you choose to continue on our forums, it can be appropriate to link your site in future discussions. It's just that we want to be a discussion forum rather than an ad repository, so we need to prune ads from one-time posters.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

BioWizard liked this post

Postby Crystal grower on April 23rd, 2016, 11:08 am 

Hello, does it mean that I am allowed to post a link to my website in this thread? http://www.sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2296#p297719
Last edited by zetreque on May 1st, 2016, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added direct target to url
Crystal grower
Forum Neophyte

Postby Natural ChemE on April 23rd, 2016, 12:10 pm 

Crystal grower,

Yup, that looks like an appropriate place to put your link! I forgot that thread existed.

Probably best to include a minimal description without pictures to maintain consistency with the rest of the thread.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby BioWizard on April 23rd, 2016, 6:09 pm 

What beautiful crystals.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Crystal grower on April 24th, 2016, 3:15 am 

Thanks BloWizard,
Now I am working on a article about nickel(II) sulfate which is a lot more interesting stuff than I would ever thought. It crystallize from water solutions as several hydrates and polymorphs which differs in crystal structure and colour.
I will send you photos if you want.
Crystal grower
Forum Neophyte

Postby Natural ChemE on April 24th, 2016, 6:54 pm 

Crystal grower,

Hah sometimes I forget to stop and appreciate how beautiful things are.

Have you tried putting an adjustable-color LED/light behind that clear crystal in the last picture? I'm kinda curious what that'd look like!
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Crystal grower on April 25th, 2016, 2:26 am 

Natural ChemE,

That's a really interesting idea, I'll try when I'll have some free time.
I'm just wondering, couldn't there be a link to my website as I don't want to let it only as free ad, I'm going to regularly add some interesting info from chemistry, crystal growing, etc.
Anyway I accept the forum rules and I will also fully accept your attitude.
Crystal grower
Forum Neophyte

Postby zetreque on April 25th, 2016, 2:42 am 

Hello Cyrstal Grower,

I think having the link to your website in that one forum is enough for the curious. Was easy for me to find. You could also stick it in your profile.

I wonder about electricity for this kind of thing. Are there any crystals that can be manufactured using electricity?
I sometimes think about if I had a spare solar panel for example, would I be able to put the electricity to good use purifying minerals or maybe growing crystals.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Crystal grower on April 25th, 2016, 4:09 am 

Zetreque,

Very interesting and quite simple experiment is growing metal crystals of copper, tin, silver, etc. By electrolysis of its respective salt (CuSO4, SnCl3, AgNO3....). You can find some info about it on the internet and I'll maybe write a article about it in near future.
Another interesting project is this one: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snow ... ectric.htm
I haven't tried it yet but it looks really cool.
Crystal grower
Forum Neophyte

Postby zetreque on May 1st, 2016, 4:01 pm 

Crystal grower » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:09 am wrote:Zetreque,

Very interesting and quite simple experiment is growing metal crystals of copper, tin, silver, etc. By electrolysis of its respective salt (CuSO4, SnCl3, AgNO3....). You can find some info about it on the internet and I'll maybe write a article about it in near future.
Another interesting project is this one: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snow ... ectric.htm
I haven't tried it yet but it looks really cool.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby dandelion on May 2nd, 2016, 3:10 pm 

Beautiful crystals, Crystal grower.
dandelion

Crystal grower liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on May 2nd, 2016, 3:20 pm 

crystal grower, do they take a certain shape and color depending on the element they contain?

That third one has me fascinated. Looks like it is raining. Great work you are doing there.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Crystal grower on May 2nd, 2016, 3:49 pm 

vivian maxine » May 2nd, 2016, 10:20 pm wrote:crystal grower, do they take a certain shape and color depending on the element they contain?

That third one has me fascinated. Looks like it is raining. Great work you are doing there.

Actually there are 7crystal systems divided into 32 crystal classes and the shape of the crystal is affected by many factors. To give you an example a nickel sulfate crystallize from water solution as hepta and hexahydrate, and these hydrates can have monoclinic, orthorombic or tetragonal crystal symetry and the colour vary from pale green-blue to emerald green. These properties are affected by the temperature at which it crystallize and the cooling rate, but also a content of h2so4 in the solution seriously affect the crystals.
I will post an article about niso4 soon on my website, and I am pretty amazed how interesting this simple salt is :).
Crystal grower
Forum Neophyte

Postby vivian maxine on May 2nd, 2016, 3:59 pm 

Fascinating. Thank you. We never studied chemistry. So it's a bit over my head but the beauty is still there.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Crystal grower on May 11th, 2016, 9:59 am 

So I'm finally done with the NiSO4, its crystals are just amzing :).
If anyone wants to know the procuderes used for growing crystals of several hydrates and polymorphs of NiSO4, you can find it in this article.
http://chem.pieceofscience.com/?p=1336

If you have any questions about it, just ask, I've read tons of literature about it :D :D.
Attachments
aNHS-crystal.png
α-polymorph of NiSO4.6H2O
Crystal grower
Forum Neophyte

Postby dandelion on May 12th, 2016, 1:07 pm 

Really nice, thanks!
dandelion

Postby Clory on November 13th, 2016, 10:26 am 

Nice crystals, but I think there is different sites to advertise this.
Clory
Forum Neophyte

Return to Chemistry