Zinc-based wood treatment

Discussions on general chemistry and chemical engineering, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, etc.

Zinc-based wood treatment

Postby fred3 on July 17th, 2015, 2:39 pm 

I was planning to use zinc napthenate for an outdoor new cedar treatment that would protect as well as cause a silver-gray coloring. Unfortunately, it appears that regulations have made zinc napthenate all but impossible to acquire these days. And, what I could find was dreadfully expensive in some dry form I believe. So, I'm looking for substitutes.

The most popular treatment I've found is made from vinegar and steel wool. There's plenty of information on that.
What I want to pursue a bit is a solution with zinc in it for all the same objectives I had originally.

Zinc in vinegar?? or citric acid?? or ????
Suggestions and comments would be highly appreciated.

I've also considered salt water as that's where much of the driftwood around here has been subjected to.

I live in a damp, coastal area where mold and mildew are a real issue. So I want to avoid linseed oil, etc. because it's "food for mold".
fred3
Forum Neophyte

Re: Zinc-based wood treatment

Postby redwhitechem on June 10th, 2016, 6:35 am 

Using steel wool and vinegar to new wood, I guess the acidic solution reacts with the tannins in the wood to create a chemical reaction to weather and essentially stain the wood with somewhat of an acid wash.
redwhitechem
Banned User

Return to Chemistry