Solid Mercury

Discussions on general chemistry and chemical engineering, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, etc.

Moderators: BioWizard, Natural ChemE

Solid Mercury

Postby rjkabbur on December 22nd, 2010, 3:15 am 

Whether solid mercury (In normal temperature)made using of herbal extractions will be used in Industry, In which way it will be used.
rjkabbur
Forum Neophyte

Re: Solid Mercury

Postby CanadysPeak on December 22nd, 2010, 7:57 am 

rjkabbur wrote:Whether solid mercury (In normal temperature)made using of herbal extractions will be used in Industry, In which way it will be used.

Could you explain this question with a lot more detail, please?
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Likes received:54

Postby rjkabbur on December 23rd, 2010, 3:11 am 

Presently we are making pendulams using the solid mercury. Which is solidised with herbal extracts with out using the other metals. Want to know that whether this will be usable in industry in any form, i.e. as a parts in any industry as a metal. Normal concept is that pure mercury will not be solid in normal temparature & without any other metal mixing with it.
rjkabbur
Forum Neophyte

Postby Natural ChemE on December 23rd, 2010, 8:26 pm 

rjkabbur,

The short answer is, "No, not in any way that I can think of."

Pure mercury is liquid at room temperature. However, mercury-containing compounds such as amalgams (mercury-containing alloys) and mercury sulfide can be made to be solid at room temperature. It sounds like you're asking about the possible uses of a mercury-containing compound made with an herbal extract.

I can't see any benefit to using herbal extract to freeze mercury. Can it even be done, particularly considering the heterogeneous nature of biologically derived compounds?

Also, can you cite a site which discusses solid-mercury pendulums? I mean, there are pendulums which contain liquid mercury that can expand up the center column to maintain the effective length of the pendulum against temperature change (since thermal expansion can mess up the effective length otherwise), but I haven't heard of a solid-mercury pendulum before - nor can I see the potential benefit of such a device.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Likes received:41

Postby rjkabbur on December 24th, 2010, 3:05 am 

Yes I am seraching for possible usage of solid Mercury containing Herbal extracts. [flash=]In industial use.[/flash]
rjkabbur
Forum Neophyte

Postby Natural ChemE on December 24th, 2010, 4:59 am 

Is this compound hypothetical, or do you already have such a material?

If it's hypothetical, why are you interested in it in specific?
If you already have it, what are some of its properties?

Mercury's highly toxic which sharply limits its potential uses. A mercury-containing compound needs to have some unusual property to justify its use. Otherwise, we'd just use something that isn't so poisonous.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby rjkabbur on December 25th, 2010, 2:48 am 

Yes I have one. I wanted to test and get the lab report on physical and chemical properties from the labs. I tried two labs they denied to accept the solid mercury, they say's it becomes solid only in -Degree Celsius. And said that they will try their best to get results. And they have not equiped to test the mercury. So I donot Know the exact properties of the product.
rjkabbur
Forum Neophyte

Postby Natural ChemE on December 25th, 2010, 3:06 am 

Alright, so here's the deal. Mercury is toxic. It's not something that kills people instantly, but it's toxic enough that people don't want to use it whenever it's possible to avoid it.

Any material containing mercury will be limited in its uses. It'd have to be contained safely, disposed of properly, and probably get some kind of government approval if sold in some sort of product. I don't know the details; you should ask a lawyer.

Now the question is, why even use it at all? Why even make the stuff? A possible answer is that it has some unique property - that it can fulfill a role that's can't currently be adequately fulfilled by another material. But unless it has some such property, why use it at all?

So why are you interested in this stuff? Is it a product of a waste stream that you want to recycle, a school project, or just idle curiosity?
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby rjkabbur on December 27th, 2010, 5:25 am 

Curiosity
rjkabbur
Forum Neophyte

Postby Natural ChemE on December 27th, 2010, 6:34 am 

So your idea's basically to mix mercury and herbal extract together, freeze them, and see if the solid could do anything practical, right?

For the sake of my own curiosity, how'd you arrive at this idea?
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby rjkabbur on December 28th, 2010, 3:45 am 

After mixing with herbal extractions it needs some proceessing then it will be softer like bread for some time at this stage you will give it the required shape to it. After getting harder it is not possible to give any shape. I heard that frozen mercury will be used in industry. Then thinked that, why not this. I don't know exactly which way it used in industry. May be I wrong.
rjkabbur
Forum Neophyte

Postby hwynnington on December 28th, 2010, 1:06 pm 

What exactly is 'herbal extractions'? Is that a code word for marijuana/hemp? It seems a waste of herbs to mix it with mercury.
hwynnington
Forum Neophyte

Postby BioWizard on January 17th, 2011, 12:38 pm 

This page lists some of mercury's uses in industry. I was shocked to find out that it's used in cosmetics.
BioWizard
Science Admin

Likes received:69
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Rowan on January 18th, 2011, 6:00 am 

Pharmaceuticals? Oh yeah, vaccines... injecting mercury into your blood stream; what a novel idea.
Rowan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby BioWizard on January 18th, 2011, 3:59 pm 

Rowan wrote:Pharmaceuticals? Oh yeah, vaccines... injecting mercury into your blood stream; what a novel idea.

Thimerosal is being phased out of vaccines, to my knowledge. Although that might be more related to the Autism craze than any toxicological effects.
BioWizard
Science Admin

Postby vvenkat111 on November 20th, 2012, 7:43 am 

HI..Let me clarify what this guy is trying to post about Solid Mercury.
Rasamani as mercury solidified at room temperature is known in India is achieved through highly secret and arcane procedure not widely known beyond an inner circle of alchemists. Dont ask me how, but the resultant product is a certain isotope of Mercury that becomes solid WITHOUT the addition of any other metal (Amalgam) or organic substance.
The herbs and salts used in this process are mere catalysts to remove the poisonous nature of mercury and achieve this isotope.
This resultant solid however is mostly used by Yogis and as medicine to reverse almost terminal physiological conditions.
By the way you would have figured that this is not an easy process. It takes 7 days and 8-18 steps (depending on te method) to achieve...The question of using such mercury for pendulums would be akin to using a golden stick to clean your toilet.
vvenkat111
Forum Neophyte

Postby BioWizard on November 20th, 2012, 12:53 pm 

Are you sure you mean isotope? Because you can't create isotopes using chemical reactions...
BioWizard
Science Admin

Postby sourabh_23sep on March 29th, 2013, 12:17 am 

I cannot deny the fact that solid mercury can be prepared by a certain process using herbs. In Ayurveda, the purest form of Mercury is said to have healing capability. I have one piece of solid mercury as well.
sourabh_23sep
Forum Neophyte

Postby sourabh_23sep on March 29th, 2013, 2:36 am 

hwynnington wrote:What exactly is 'herbal extractions'? Is that a code word for marijuana/hemp? It seems a waste of herbs to mix it with mercury.

No. That doesnt mean marijuana/hemp. Although I havent still procured the process to solidify mercury, the maker of the solid mercury I have (in its purest form possible), told me that the time period is one month, to be able to convert liquid mercury to remain in its solid form under room temperature.
sourabh_23sep
Forum Neophyte

Postby CanadysPeak on March 29th, 2013, 7:38 am 

sourabh_23sep wrote:
hwynnington wrote:What exactly is 'herbal extractions'? Is that a code word for marijuana/hemp? It seems a waste of herbs to mix it with mercury.

No. That doesnt mean marijuana/hemp. Although I havent still procured the process to solidify mercury, the maker of the solid mercury I have (in its purest form possible), told me that the time period is one month, to be able to convert liquid mercury to remain in its solid form under room temperature.

Someone once told me that a certain horse "couldn't lose," but it did. What sort of evidence is this?
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Likes received:54

Postby Natural ChemE on April 1st, 2013, 1:16 pm 

sourabh_23sep,

Pure mercury does not have known healing properties. Rather it would inflict you with mercury poisoning, and it’s one of the reasons that folks are worried about eating fish.

Also pure mercury is liquid at room temperature. There’s no known method to make it generally solid at room temperature. There are room-temperature solids which contain mercury, but they’re not pure mercury.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Elixir on July 1st, 2014, 2:53 am 

HI,

We made one solid mercury ball called "Rasamani" in Tamil, we used some herbals and metals to make it so that it can stay for higher degree of temperature, this Rasamani we made for one of known person who believes it has some healing power and it can help improve his health and wealth. But really I do not know it happens or not.
Elixir
Forum Neophyte

Postby aurorianx on September 29th, 2014, 8:53 am 

Hi all,
I might sound a little spaced out, please excuse.
it is possible to solidify mercury and use it as a spiritual machine, which work for you tirelessly. only a perfect and complete siddha can charge a solid mercury and give it to you. luckily i have found one.

most of us have not played with mercury enough to understand it. we have already posted so much without knowing about it.

just for your curiosity i would like to share some knowledge. First of all, mercury is not poisonous, but mercury's oxides are actually the poisonous ones. the pure liquid mercury which we know is dangerous only if someone inhales it, and what it does inside our body is that due to its very high specific gravity it falls down of our stomach, intestines or other organs making holes in them. it will kill a person if taken large amounts of it.

another property of solid mercury is that it eats away gold and grow in size but does not change color at all. it can eat as much gold as possible. it can be used to hide away the gold and silver as well.

the real kumkum(vermilion) used in india has high amount of mercury's oxides. consuming kumkum is definitely poisonous. but it always had spiritual significance. because mercury no matter in what form it is, it can be charged with energies which keep working for you.

there are more spiritual and health benefits which require lot more time to explain.
aurorianx
Forum Neophyte

Return to Chemistry