The Deniable Darwin

Discussions on general biology and biological evolution, genetics, zoology, ecology, botany, etc.

Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:08 pm 

Yeah, don't want his teapot anyway. Ask him if he has any cider.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby Lomax on November 28th, 2016, 10:10 pm 

NoShips » November 29th, 2016, 3:07 am wrote:
Lomax » November 29th, 2016, 11:05 am wrote:
NoShips » November 29th, 2016, 2:55 am wrote:I see. Let's talk tests. How does one fail this test? (hit a pedestrian?)

Take longer with your posts, NoShips. I recommend it. If no changes in the gene pool, no new traits, had ever been observed, despite such efforts, we would have grounds for doubt. If Hawaii's hedylepta had lost, rather than gained, banana eating apparatus we would have grounds for doubt.

We found aerobic citrate metabolism in E-Coli. We found black swans (Mister Hempel). We never found Russell's teapot.



This is granny knowledge. We're back to "stuff changes". It's not news.

If anybody else is reading this, I put it to them whether I just said that we have evidence new traits dominate the gene pool only when they offer benefits to the host, or whether I said "stuff changes".

It's hell to talk and find out nobody's listening.
User avatar
Lomax
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 3703
Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Location: Nuneaton, UK
EclogiteSerpent liked this post


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:12 pm 

Lomax » November 29th, 2016, 11:10 am wrote:It's hell to talk and find out nobody's listening.
[/quote]

Likewise, do you cook?
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:13 pm 

We appear to be at cross porpoises.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:15 pm 

Lomax » November 29th, 2016, 11:10 am wrote:

If anybody else is reading this, I put it to them whether I just said that we have evidence new traits dominate the gene pool only when they offer benefits to the host, or whether I said "stuff changes"..


Which is to say absolutely nothing. Show me a survivor who doesn't survive.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:16 pm 

No one else is reading. They're all in the "Topless Korean Supermodel" thread.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:19 pm 

"I just said that we have evidence new traits dominate the gene pool only when they offer benefits to the host"

How could they not?

I have evidence that chess winners win chess games.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:21 pm 

Not trying to be flippant, friend.

But what you're saying is "If you've got stuff that helps you, you'll be helped."
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby TheVat on November 28th, 2016, 10:23 pm 

Zzzzzzzzz.
User avatar
TheVat
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 7211
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: Black Hills


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:24 pm 

Hmm, try amphetamines
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:24 pm 

and stop snoozing on my ship
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:25 pm 

swab the deck or something
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby Forest_Dump on November 28th, 2016, 10:27 pm 

Lomax wrote:If anybody else is reading this, I put it to them whether I just said that we have evidence new traits dominate the gene pool only when they offer benefits to the host, or whether I said "stuff changes".

It's hell to talk and find out nobody's listening.


You are talking to a drunk who is just using you for entertainment.
User avatar
Forest_Dump
Resident Member
 
Posts: 8714
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Location: Great Lakes Region
Lomax liked this post


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:28 pm 

Hi Forest, we appreciate the solicitude. I'd far rather you address the issues though. Or cook breakfast.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby BioWizard on November 28th, 2016, 10:28 pm 

NoShips » 28 Nov 2016 07:41 pm wrote:Next question: What's bold about not finding a rabbit in pre-Cambrian strata?

Ans: nothing


The main components of your argument, from what I've gathered over several threads, appear to be that ET has no explanatory power, no predictive use, and is unfalsifiable. Is there anything else? Because all three claims can be demonstrated wrong. Here's how, very briefly:

1- ET explains why homologous species have high DNA sequence similarity, and why that similarity is inversely proportional to the time since the species last experienced gene flow (interbreeding). 2- ET predicts that as more time passes, DNA similarity between related species decreases, even if they experience phenotypic convergence. 3- These statements are all falsifiable, because you can sample DNA from organisms and sequence it. Which we have done. And the results have falsified the null hypothesis, every time.

So, consider the explaination of why we find no rabbits in precambrian strata a bonus.

What else have you got? If nothing, then please stop spamming the forums with 2-7 word posts. Or try to collect them in a single post. It has been boring, and now it's getting annoying too.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12071
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)
EclogiteLomax liked this post


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby BioWizard on November 28th, 2016, 10:30 pm 

NoShips, if you continue with this, I going to have to temp-ban you until you sober up. I will ask you nicely. Please quit drunk-posting, be it physical drunkeness or anything else.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12071
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:31 pm 

BioWizard » November 29th, 2016, 11:28 am wrote:
The main components of your argument, from what I've gathered over several threads, appear to be that ET has no explanatory power, no predictive use, and is unfalsifiable. Is there anything else? Because all three claims these can be demonstrated wrong.


That's right. What would falsify it?

Rabbits again?

I'm not spamming. I'd like an answer.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:32 pm 

Ban away. You hated me to begin with.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby BioWizard on November 28th, 2016, 10:34 pm 

I provided the answer on the very same post. Right under the part you truncated.

It is spamming. This is the message board, not relay chat.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12071
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:35 pm 

You do get a lot of spam though. Skin-care products and all that.

Address the issue, please, sir.

I'm not here to cause trouble. I believe your claim is unjustifiable. Justify it. Thanks.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:36 pm 

It's a simple question. What would falsify ET?

If I've annoyed you somehow, I'm sorry.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:38 pm 

Yes, I drink. Address the question, please.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:39 pm 

I'm ugly too, if that helps.

Please just answer my question.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby BioWizard on November 28th, 2016, 10:40 pm 

NoShips » 28 Nov 2016 09:32 pm wrote:Ban away. You hated me to begin with.


As much as it appears to bother you, I have no personal emotion for you. When I nudge you, I do it strictly as a moderator of the board. I know you probably prefer hatred to indifference, but I can't grant that kind of emotional commitment to someone I've never met and hardly know.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12071
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)
NoShips liked this post


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby BioWizard on November 28th, 2016, 10:41 pm 

NoShips » 28 Nov 2016 09:36 pm wrote:It's a simple question. What would falsify ET?

If I've annoyed you somehow, I'm sorry.


I just told you how. Stop posting drunk. This is not acceptable behavior for our forum.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12071
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:42 pm 

To repeat: the question is "What would falsify ET?"
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:43 pm 

You made the claim. I'd like you to support it.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby BioWizard on November 28th, 2016, 10:46 pm 

NoShips » 28 Nov 2016 09:42 pm wrote:To repeat: the question is "What would falsify ET?"


IMHO, if DNA sequence didn't match phylogenetic relatedness. Because the chances that unrelated organisms would independently end up with the same genomic sequences is so vanishingly small. And if you consider it over all existing life, it becomes even smaller to the point of being nonexistent.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12071
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)
Lomax liked this post


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby BioWizard on November 28th, 2016, 10:46 pm 

Which I already explained in the post where I claimed it, by the way.
User avatar
BioWizard
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 12071
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Location: United States
Blog: View Blog (3)


Re: The Deniable Darwin

Postby NoShips on November 28th, 2016, 10:49 pm 

Ok, thank you. And if that happened biologists around the world would immediately en masse dump the theory, leaving themselves with no theoretical birdcage?


Is there any historical precedent for this kind of thing?

Or just soap opera?

Please adduce evidence.
User avatar
NoShips
Active Member
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Location: Taiwan


PreviousNext

Return to Biology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests