Online wildlife programs

Discussions on the interactions between components of the environment and their effects on all types of organisms.

Online wildlife programs

Postby tibbles on October 7th, 2016, 8:27 pm 

Hey, my S/O is disappointed with her college major and is looking for a change. She's interested in wildlife, and wants to take a course that will assist her in getting a job at a zoo, preserve, something of that sort. We're looking for cheap online school programs that will help. Can anyone point us in the right direction?
tibbles
Forum Neophyte

Re: Online wildlife programs

Postby Dave_Oblad on October 7th, 2016, 10:18 pm 

Hi tibbles,

Welcome to the Forums.

Has she written or communicated with any of the places she wants to work at? Get first hand knowledge of their requirements? That's where I would start, as you can only learn so much off the Internet until you need hands on experience, such as being a Vet.

I worked for a Year at an animal shelter while in High School. Didn't pay much, but was a lot of fun. Especially giving dogs exercise. Meant taking them out of their cages and playing with them. And getting paid to do so. Dogs hate cages and being cut off from human contact. Many are just abandoned by their owners.. so sad for the dogs.

Hard not to become too attached to them, but that's true for any animals you may be working with. But it's a noble and usually satisfying endeavor.

Good luck,

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)
tibbles liked this post

Postby zetreque on October 7th, 2016, 10:26 pm 

May I add that in most jobs, they don't care what you have a degree in most of the time. You can have a degree in finance and then end up working in a national park as a ranger.

Dave has a good tip about finding out what is needed. Coming up with a plan. If you are looking for the cheapest route. Call up the places you want to get hired at, find out what requirements you need. Then just get the minimum requirements. There are online options and college board tests where you can just study on your own and take tests at some office for credit. The education part of it is really up to you. You can learn everything in just reading textbooks. It also takes experience so just getting experience in the field you are interested in is the other half. Self education and experience is all you need but you still need the figure out the minimum requirements they have like type of degree.

I would add that whatever she ends up doing. The real education comes in experience and being motivated to continue self learning.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)
tibbles liked this post

Postby BadgerJelly on October 8th, 2016, 2:38 am 

In the UK there is the "national trust". Taking part in these schemes can help show intent and dedication to would be employers? Not sure what they have in your country? Basically you pay a little and take part in some study/project amd get a bed to sleep in and food to eat.

Other than that just go to the local zoo/park and offer to volunteer. Most people get thier foot in the door that way. Persist and persist in these situations. An old friend of mine started by volunteering at some gardens around a hall, "rangering". Last I heard he was part-time manager in the gardens hall. If you are on site volunteering then you are first to hear about job openings and you've already shown dedication by volunteering.

As for online courses? Those that are of real value to the employers in specific areas tend not to be cheap. With enough passion and determination it is always possible to get sponsored by employers/government.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on October 8th, 2016, 7:06 am 

In connection with what Dave and the others have said, Missouri Department of Conservation has one of the best wildlife conservation programs you can find. I am sure they would be glad to give you information. And - not knowing where you live - they seem to be well informed on what all the other states are doing. For a great picture of what they do, they have a magazine you'd enjoy. I'm sure other states have equally good programs. I'm just mentioning the one I know. Your S/O might like the greater variety of possibilities of jobs in conservation than you get at a zoo. That of course is a personal decision.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby tibbles on October 10th, 2016, 11:54 am 

Thanks everybody, we actually had a conversation shortly after I posted this question where we decided that experience is probably the best way to go with a trade like this. Thanks again for your detailed responses, I may follow up when she decides what's best for her
tibbles
Forum Neophyte

Return to Environmental Science