Pangaea will return

Discussions on the interactions between components of the environment and their effects on all types of organisms.

Re: Pangaea will return

Postby doogles on August 10th, 2016, 5:33 pm 

JMP1958 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:57 pm wrote:
doogles » August 8th, 2016, 3:27 pm wrote:Every time, I read a reference to the continents all being a part of one great land mass, I have to ask the question - Wouldn't this throw the rotating sphere out of balance and set up a 'wobble'.

I've had car wheel balances thrown out by lumps of adhered mud and the car becomes a vibrator.

The "wobble" or vibration you feel with a wheel is due to the center of mass of the wheel not aligning with the axis of rotation. For the wheel the axis of rotation is fixed. The Earth is a freely rotating object. It always rotates on a line that goes through its axis of rotation. If you redistribute the mass making up the Earth so that its center of mass shifts, its axis of rotation shifts along with it. You won't get that unbalanced "wobble" you get with a wheel.

Thanks for that JMP1958. You could be correct. We apparently rotate around an axis from pole to pole without either pole being attached to anything.

We do see evidence of a ''wobble'' though on planet Earth. It's called PRECESSION. It's been likened to a spinning 'top' slowing down. It's as if one pole is fixed and the other is revolving around a small circle. The cycle is estimated to be 26000 years, with a change of the evening constellations appearing at the horizon from any reference point continuously over the millennia.

I'm not sure of the veracity of the following, and I'm too lazy this morning to check, but I think I have read somewhere that it's the reason we have such things as the age of Pisces 2000 odd years ago, and currently the age of Aquarius etc.
doogles

Postby JMP1958 on August 11th, 2016, 2:57 pm 

doogles » August 10th, 2016, 2:33 pm wrote:
JMP1958 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:57 pm wrote:
doogles » August 8th, 2016, 3:27 pm wrote:Every time, I read a reference to the continents all being a part of one great land mass, I have to ask the question - Wouldn't this throw the rotating sphere out of balance and set up a 'wobble'.

I've had car wheel balances thrown out by lumps of adhered mud and the car becomes a vibrator.

The "wobble" or vibration you feel with a wheel is due to the center of mass of the wheel not aligning with the axis of rotation. For the wheel the axis of rotation is fixed. The Earth is a freely rotating object. It always rotates on a line that goes through its axis of rotation. If you redistribute the mass making up the Earth so that its center of mass shifts, its axis of rotation shifts along with it. You won't get that unbalanced "wobble" you get with a wheel.

Thanks for that JMP1958. You could be correct. We apparently rotate around an axis from pole to pole without either pole being attached to anything.

We do see evidence of a ''wobble'' though on planet Earth. It's called PRECESSION. It's been likened to a spinning 'top' slowing down. It's as if one pole is fixed and the other is revolving around a small circle. The cycle is estimated to be 26000 years, with a change of the evening constellations appearing at the horizon from any reference point continuously over the millennia.

I'm not sure of the veracity of the following, and I'm too lazy this morning to check, but I think I have read somewhere that it's the reason we have such things as the age of Pisces 2000 odd years ago, and currently the age of Aquarius etc.

Yes, the Earth has a precession. This is caused by two factors: The earth isn't a perfect sphere but is rather a slightly oblate spheroid, and the Equator is not aligned with either the Ecliptic or the Moon's orbit.

Tidal forces from both the Moon and Sun (With the Moon's dominating) exert a torque on the Earth in an attempt to align the equator with them (Since the Moon's orbital plane is only 5 degree from that of the ecliptic, they are working together.). It is this torque that causes the precession.( the fact that the Earth is not a perfect sphere is what gives them something to "grab onto" in order to do this.)

Unlike a top, one pole does not stay still, rather the center of the Earth is motionless and the two poles travel in circles.

This causes the drift of the constellations over the years due to the fact that our calendar year is affixed to the Tropical year, or the time between vernal equinoxes. Since the precession causes a slight change in the direction the poles point, the period between vernal equinoxes is not equal to the time it takes the Earth to make a trip around the Sun. So after every calendar year we find ourselves in a slightly different position with respect to the stars. This is sometimes known as the precession of the equinoxes.

The astrological age is based on what constellation the Earth would be in as viewed from the Sun at the time of the vernal equinox. With 12 zodiac signs, and a 26,000 yr precession period, this works out to ~2166 years per "age".

As a side note, Astrology is based on the idea that your characteristics are governed by the constellation that the Sun was in when you were born. However, since the birth of astrology, some 2000 years ago, the Sun has shifted by 1 whole sign, yet the Horoscope dates have not changed with this. By the Horoscope date, if you are born on Aug 7th, you are right in the Middle of the sign Leo. In reality, on Aug 7th, the Sun is still in Cancer.
JMP1958
Forum Neophyte

vivian maxine liked this post

Postby doogles on August 12th, 2016, 3:44 am 

Thanks JMP1958 for doing the research for me and apologies for my laziness.

I think you summarized the situation of the Earth wobble and its relationship to Horoscopes and Astrology very well.
doogles

Postby Braininvat on August 12th, 2016, 10:11 am 

Am always amused at astrology nuts arguing over precession while the elephant in the room is that constellations are not real and not composed of stars that are actually adjacent to each other. Or beaming rays of feline energy or virginity or bullishness or whatever. Probably more relevant to birth day and early influences is where it puts you, in terms of relative age, in the lower elementary school grades, where even 6 months can make a difference developmentally. Here, a Virgo like me will be almost a year younger than the Libra kids, since Oct. 1 is the breakoff date. Studies find, for example, that more kids who become jocks are Libra, Scorpio, Sagitt., etc. because a selection process favors older kids in the lower grades.
Braininvat
Resident Member

vivian maxine liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on August 12th, 2016, 10:27 am 

Braininvat » August 12th, 2016, 9:11 am wrote:Am always amused at astrology nuts arguing over precession while the elephant in the room is that constellations are not real and not composed of stars that are actually adjacent to each other. Or beaming rays of feline energy or virginity or bullishness or whatever. Probably more relevant to birth day and early influences is where it puts you, in terms of relative age, in the lower elementary school grades, where even 6 months can make a difference developmentally. Here, a Virgo like me will be almost a year younger than the Libra kids, since Oct. 1 is the breakoff date. Studies find, for example, that more kids who become jocks are Libra, Scorpio, Sagitt., etc. because a selection process favors older kids in the lower grades.

And we Tauruses just keep bulling our way through, clumsily tripping over every thought or idea that attacks us. :-(

I think I'll just watch the show.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Paul Anthony on August 12th, 2016, 3:53 pm 

I don't know how we ended up talking about astrology, but I have made some observations over the years. Please understand, these are observations. Nothing more. I make no claim to scientific accuracy, so please do not ask me for citations or sources.

People who are aware of their astrological sign tend to behave in a manner consistent with how astrology says they will act. I'm inclined to think much of their behavior is the result of suggestion rather than of nature.

And yet...I have observed individuals who were not adherents of the psuedo-science and found their behavior to be strikingly similar to what astrology predicts. I am at a loss to explain that. The accuracy of astrological assignations is sometimes eerie. For instance, every bipolar person I've met has been a Gemini (the sign of the twins). That could be coincidence, of course, but it is still eerie.

But the question of whether astrology can predict tendencies is irrelevant. We have the ability to suppress our own inclinations and to behave as we choose, regardless of any natural tendencies - and regardless of the source of those tendencies.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Previous

Return to Environmental Science