Me probably overthinking plate tectonics

Discussions on the interactions between components of the environment and their effects on all types of organisms.

Me probably overthinking plate tectonics

Postby WriterWrong on March 4th, 2016, 11:17 pm 

I can be extremely meticulous about certain things, and one of those is the worldbuilding for my novel. Now I'm at a very low math level, and there's no way in hell I can map out the tectonic plates from the very beginning, or anytime at all before the present. I can draw the plates as they are now and design the topography accordingly. If a geologist were to look at a map of the finished world, would they be able to notice the lack of true geologic history by the misplacement of some mountain or volcano, or is geology sporadic enough that I'm good as long as my mountains chains aren't sharp right angles? Not that any geologist would ever see it, as I don't intend to publish, my writing is simply an exercise in imagination that I take as seriously as all self-improvement.
WriterWrong
Forum Neophyte

Re: Me probably overthinking plate tectonics

Postby Braininvat on March 5th, 2016, 10:40 am 

Eclogite might have some insight on this.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on March 5th, 2016, 11:04 am 

As someone writing something akin to you try not to get over involved in the details. The details will only ever be appreciated by you but they will certainly allow you to get a "feel" of what you've imagined.

I've found myself writing out all kinds of sociopolitical, ecological and cultural details that would swamp any narrative. Enjoy it but don't rely on these details as being necessary or relevant to whatever theme/narrative your work takes you on.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Eclogite on March 5th, 2016, 1:27 pm 

There are detailed aspect of plate tectonics that still befuddle the researchers. This is good news as otherwise their would be nothing left to discover. Therefore, my view would be that you would probably find it difficult to come up with a combination of topographic elements and plate geometries that some imaginative geologist couldn't account for.

That said, I suppose there should be some arrangements that don't make sense. It is not something I have thought about before. I'll give it some thought, but progress towards a response might be no faster than a moving plate. In the meantime here are a couple of thoughts of the top of my head.

1. There is a limit to the height of mountains related to several variables. On Earth Everest is quite close to that limit.
2. You don't want a lot of volcanoes distant from plate boundaries.
3. Triple junctions are a must.
4. I wouldn't have a problem with mountain chains at right angles.

Hope that helps a little.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby wolfhnd on March 5th, 2016, 4:32 pm 

I'm not sure what it is that you are asking but you could try this.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2010/03 ... onics.html
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Environmental Science