Google Earth/Map Challenge

Discussions on the interactions between components of the environment and their effects on all types of organisms.

Google Earth/Map Challenge

Postby zetreque on March 30th, 2014, 11:28 pm 

I find it disturbing how you can zoom into almost any random spot east of the Rocky Mountains using Google Earth and find "pixelated" farmland. When flying from Chicago once, I was shocked how much land we passed over that looked up like a brown dried up closeup of a LED computer monitor.

I propose a general, fun challenge to find areas east of the Rockies that are not pixelated with farmland. Obviously you can't include cities, and national parks or reserves.

I suppose the purpose of this challenge is more to make awareness about just how much land has become clear-cut for farms, not even including cities, towns, and residential.

I think we are under threat from a global Easter Island type senerio.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Google Earth/Map Challenge

Postby zetreque on October 14th, 2016, 2:09 am 

Flew over the US twice again this past week. I was thinking that we could extend this challenge to west of the Rockies finding areas that aren't pixelated from logging.

I also noticed that how all grid farm land is north-south and east-west. That seems stupid because who wants to drive directly into and away from the sun? It would make more sense to go NE-SW NW-SE oriented grids.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Google Earth/Map Challenge

Postby Eclogite on October 14th, 2016, 4:29 am 

zetreque » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:09 am wrote:I also noticed that how all grid farm land is north-south and east-west. That seems stupid because who wants to drive directly into and away from the sun? It would make more sense to go NE-SW NW-SE oriented grids.
Ideal for vision impaired head on collisions in the fall and spring.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

zetreque liked this post

Return to Environmental Science