Support our planet's ecosystem

Discussions on the interactions between components of the environment and their effects on all types of organisms.

Postby Cyndi Loo on July 27th, 2006, 5:09 am 

Here are a few suggestions on ways to support our planet's ecosystem. If you have a suggestion, please post it!

1. Write a letter, send an email. Let your government officials know how you feel about a particular issue and what action should be taken. In the U.S. visit http://www.govspot.com to find out who represents you at the state and federal levels.

2. Use your buying power as a consumer to support conservation-minded companies, such as those that use recycled materials in their products and packaging.

3. Join, volunteer for, or donate money to a non-governmental organization (NGO) that works to save wildlife and wild habitats. Get involved in your area. Volunteer time to local agencies. Put out a bird feeder and birdbath. Feed the squirels, deer, wildlife in your area. Do not pollute. Volunteer time at national parks. Educate others about the ecosystem and how they can contribute.

4. Recycle whenever possible.

5. Conserve water usage.

6. Adopt and support an animal on the endangered species list, or donate to park conservation organizations.
Cyndi Loo

Postby Hardstreet on August 1st, 2006, 3:45 am 

This very subject has been on my mind lately. I've decided to write to Bat Conservation International and suggest that they develop a fund-raising educational lecture/Q&A package that they could just hand over to any biologist for local use. I have the interest and speaking skills but not enough specific knowledge of bats and certainly not the materials needed to deliver such a program. Neat idea, huh?
Hardstreet

BioWizard liked this post

Postby Hardstreet on August 1st, 2006, 3:48 am 

I should have said "not enough specific knowledge of bats to develop and present such a package on my own without help from BCI."
Hardstreet

Postby Cyndi Loo on August 1st, 2006, 4:14 am 

Way cool, Harstreet!

In Houston there are bats living in apartment buildings. These bats have contracted rabies and have infected Houstonian residents, actually killing one high school student. The situation is if they relocate the bats, the bats will just come back to the apartment building. The other option would be the exterminate the bats, which is trying to be avoided. It is a dilema. How can you test all the bats to know which ones are infected with rabies, no one seems to have an answer. So for now the residents in the building have been evacuated to other shelters until the bat dilema is resolved.

I would think you could read books, contact your local zoo, or even the organization you refer to in your posts to find out more about bats. It would be way, way cool if you could educate people about bats!

Thanks for the posts!

Cyndi
Cyndi Loo

Postby Cyndi Loo on August 7th, 2006, 1:42 am 

Interesting bat fact:

Vampire Bats May Remember Sound of Victims' Breath - A new study suggests that vampire bats may remember the sound of the breath of cows they recently fed on, allowing them to feed again on ankles still healing from earlier visits, which would be easier than piercing healthy cowhide. The thumb-sized bats feed mostly on the ankles of cattle; the laboratory study showed that vampire bats can be trained to respond with near 100% accuracy to the sound of an individual's breathing.

Cyndi
Cyndi Loo

Postby bigOz on September 6th, 2006, 5:52 am 

Cyndi Loo wrote:Interesting bat fact:

Vampire Bats May Remember Sound of Victims' Breath - A new study suggests that vampire bats may remember the sound of the breath of cows they recently fed on, allowing them to feed again on ankles still healing from earlier visits, which would be easier than piercing healthy cowhide. The thumb-sized bats feed mostly on the ankles of cattle; the laboratory study showed that vampire bats can be trained to respond with near 100% accuracy to the sound of an individual's breathing.

Cyndi

It is very frustating that there is not enough interest in preserving our environment (as can also be seen from the lack of replies to this thread). It is very typical of people living in affluent countries, who develop very selfish traits.

People should be made aware of, from a very young age, the good they can do to help our planet be a more habitable place. I remeber when I was at high school in Cyprus, we used to have field trips where every student was encouraged to plant a tree in a barren area. To this day the idea had stayed with me and I love planting trees whenever and where ever!

Inevitably, the governments have to be active in including such topics within the education system and encouraging them...
bigOz
Forum Neophyte

Postby Cyndi Loo on September 6th, 2006, 6:04 am 

bigOz wrote:
Cyndi Loo wrote:Interesting bat fact:

Cyndi

It is very frustating that there is not enough interest in preserving our environment (as can also be seen from the lack of replies to this thread). It is very typical of people living in affluent countries, who develop very selfish traits.

People should be made aware of, from a very young age, the good they can do to help our planet be a more habitable place. I remeber when I was at high school in Cyprus, we used to have field trips where every student was encouraged to plant a tree in a barren area. To this day the idea had stayed with me and I love planting trees whenever and where ever!

Inevitably, the governments have to be active in including such topics within the education system and encouraging them...

With respect bigOz, I live in the United States and I am truly, genuinely concerned about the environment. We agree in that I too wish more people would participate in this thread. Even more, go out and do something to support the environment.

It is interesting that you have brought up teaching environmentalism in schools. My understanding is California is teaching environmentalism in their classrooms. My American Government teacher is against this practice, and it is beyond me as to why this is so.

Planting trees is one of the best ways in which you can care for the planet. Thank you for planting them!

Cyndi
Cyndi Loo

Postby tess on September 6th, 2006, 2:38 pm 

tess

Postby Cyndi Loo on September 6th, 2006, 5:12 pm 

Thank you, Tess. I found this paragraph of particular interest.

Poor and vulnerable people in developing countries suffer a great deal when their ecosystems can no longer provide the things they traditionally have done, such as food, shelter and medicine. Ecosystem services play a crucial part in meeting the Millennium Development Goals for eradicating poverty and hunger, reducing child mortality, combating diseases and ensuring environmental sustainability. In taking decisions about development, people everywhere will need to consider the value of what ecosystems can provide.

It is regretful the damage to the ecosystem has such a strong affect on people in developing countries. Perhaps this is an area where science could truly make a difference.
Cyndi Loo

Postby wolfhnd on July 14th, 2008, 10:43 pm 

http://www.pickensplan.com/ Sign up save an economy and the planet
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Support our planet's ecosystem

Postby tullera182 on July 19th, 2009, 5:28 pm 

back to the bats for a moment:

we have active programs near my home for bats and their protection as well as a bit of research, although funding is difficult so research is limited. A couple of links you may find interesting

http://www.wiresnr.org/Flyingfoxes.html

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resou ... dTrees.pdf
tullera182
Forum Neophyte

Postby antonhoton on March 25th, 2011, 6:41 am 

We need to focus on environmental science. Because it can be a next demand from nature to save human life and avoid natural hazards. We really need to think about it.
antonhoton
Forum Neophyte

Postby Jorge1907 on August 13th, 2011, 4:45 pm 

Enjoyed the discussion of bats but doubt seriously if any or all of the feel-good ways to "support our planet's ecosystem" (whatever that means) amounts to anything significant. Realy liked "adopt an animal on the endangered species list. I'll let him have my spare bedroom.
Jorge1907
Forum Neophyte

Postby Carcass Drip on January 2nd, 2012, 12:21 pm 

Hang on a minute here folks

You are NOT seriously suggesting that the profit margins of multi-national corporations be threatened by ecosystem considerations?

Surely the dividend payments to shareholders and CEO bonuses could NEVER be of less priority than the health of the earth's ecosystem?

I dont believe that you guys have sat down and thought this thing through properly
Carcass Drip
Forum Neophyte

Postby Donnabrenton on June 23rd, 2012, 5:48 am 

Protection of the remaining primary forest requires that future demand for wood products must be met through plantation.
Donnabrenton
Forum Neophyte

Postby samantha on October 23rd, 2012, 2:07 am 

I'm an advocate of saving our planet. I'm certainly am promoting ways on how we can save our planet. One way which I've learned is to introduce our kids to the app entitled Maddie & Matt's Happy Earth. It's designed to teach the users, both young and adult, the importance of taking care of our environment. This is something that is really worth sharing so I suggest you get a hold of this app now and spread the news to your friends too.
samantha
Forum Neophyte

Postby BadgerJelly on January 9th, 2013, 6:10 am 

Educate yourself and learn about the sciences and human behaviour. Do not limit your learning because you could lose sight of some important factors.

For myself I certainly need to learn more about global economic structure and how to use it for the betterment of our natural ecology. I know many things that are wrong and how they can easily be fixed ... money and education seem to be the main barriers as well as people doing things they think have an effect but have none.

We have to address have to cure things instead of just thinking short term treatment is the way forwards when in fact it is backwards if anything. We have ignorance and its our best hope to expand it and be humble in the face it to avoid "self preservation" which will lead to ourselves neck deep indirectly in "self destruction".
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on March 19th, 2014, 2:38 am 

Be aware of "GreenWashing".

This is a term for companies/corporations that pretend to be green for publicity. It is a major problem currently, and I have been first-hand witness to it.

In other words. Don't just take a companies word for their product being green. Actively think about if it really is.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on April 14th, 2014, 12:25 am 

Participate in http://www.earthhour.org/ event. It's an event once a year to turn off all your lights for one hour. It's Energy awareness and not so much advertised but I think important light pollution awareness.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Environmental Science