Windows 10

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

Windows 10

Postby vivian maxine on June 1st, 2015, 8:26 am 

I have a note in my systems tray this morning saying "Get Windows 10". I am quite happy with Windows 7. I do not want to change. .

How does Windows 10 differ from Windows 7? How much of a learning curve will it be? What if I just stay with Windows 7?

Thanks.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Windows 10

Postby Watson on June 1st, 2015, 12:36 pm 

I had a problem and had W8 thrust upon me and haaaaated it. It is still frustrating. My guess is, yes big learning curve going to Windows 8. Not sure about W10
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby vivian maxine on June 1st, 2015, 12:49 pm 

Watson » June 1st, 2015, 11:36 am wrote:I had a problem and had W8 thrust upon me and haaaaated it. It is still frustrating. My guess is, yes big learning curve going to Windows 8. Not sure about W10

But I won't be going to Windows 8. Windows 10 is being given to those who now have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 - free. The "free" doesn't attract me but I know Windows 10 is coming whether we want it or not. So, wondering what a problem it will be for dummies like me. If it is touch screen, I am already in trouble. My fingers do not even work on the swipe card machines. Cold hands, maybe.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on June 1st, 2015, 1:11 pm 

I just assume the huge change occurred at the W8 level, for me going there from Vista, I think. I don't expect a dramatic change going W8 to W10, but if you are at W7, then expect a big change. If you thought a computer with a bug was frustrating, imagine a computer with a bug that's suppose to be there. I have had it for about a year and it is still frustrating.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on June 1st, 2015, 1:59 pm 

Watson » June 1st, 2015, 12:11 pm wrote:I just assume the huge change occurred at the W8 level, for me going there from Vista, I think. I don't expect a dramatic change going W8 to W10, but if you are at W7, then expect a big change. If you thought a computer with a bug was frustrating, imagine a computer with a bug that's suppose to be there. I have had it for about a year and it is still frustrating.

You have a bug that is supposed to be there? All right. That's like some bacteria that are supposed to be in our systems. Some bugs are good? Anyway, that change plus what I hear about Cloud and the software makers who want to rent their software to us instead of selling it to us. We are forced to that Cloud and it isn't Cloud 9.

I begin to know why they stopped making e-mail machines so fast. They couldn't make them expensive with additions that we neither needed nor wanted. That's what frustrates us. MS installed Windows Live onto my computer three months ago and now keeps harassing me for not using it. Frustrating!

Can't win. Just hang on for dear life.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on June 1st, 2015, 2:33 pm 

That is how frustrating W8 is/was when I got it. Like I had a bug. I had to google to find out how to turn it off or restart it.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on June 1st, 2015, 2:57 pm 

Watson » June 1st, 2015, 1:33 pm wrote:That is how frustrating W8 is/was when I got it. Like I had a bug. I had to google to find out how to turn it off or restart it.

Thank goodness for Google.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on June 1st, 2015, 3:22 pm 

Ya but by that time you have a fist full of hair and are muttering obscenities at god. Best stay with W7 if you have that option. Seems I just got up graded to W8.1, so W10 is news to me. I'll look into it.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on June 1st, 2015, 3:34 pm 

Watson » June 1st, 2015, 2:22 pm wrote:Ya but by that time you have a fist full of hair and are muttering obscenities at god. Best stay with W7 if you have that option. Seems I just got up graded to W8.1, so W10 is news to me. I'll look into it.

If you have 8.1 and if it works like mine did, there will be a strange icon in your systems tray. When you mouse over that, it says "Get Windows 10". IF - you know the poem. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on June 1st, 2015, 3:49 pm 

Yes I found it, and reserved my FREE copy. I hope I'm not going to regret this. Feels like we are sheep being herded in to a pasture of common behavior, for the purpose of an unknown design.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on June 1st, 2015, 3:57 pm 

Watson » June 1st, 2015, 2:49 pm wrote:Yes I found it, and reserved my FREE copy. I hope I'm not going to regret this. Feels like we are sheep being herded in to a pasture of common behavior, for the purpose of an unknown design.

So all we are doing right now is reserving a copy, not actually downloading it. That's good to know. I'll be calling the gentleman who takes care of my computer tomorrow. See what he says. I am hoping it can be set to still use the way 7 is used, not touch screen. Plus, we want to know what new things are in there. Right?

There is this which my favorite English teacher used to quote often: "Be not the first by whom the new are tried; nor yet the last to lay the old aside." I am usually the last.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on June 1st, 2015, 3:58 pm 

If you'd like to know a little bit more about what you're in for, check out this Windows 10 announcement page.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindow ... d=14625936
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby vivian maxine on June 1st, 2015, 4:01 pm 

Thank you, paralith. I'll take a look and see how much of it I understand.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on June 1st, 2015, 4:06 pm 

I think this will be instead of W7, not in addition to it. Yes we what to know what is new and how it is different. I looked at the FAQ and there was no mention of such.

We'll go down together. We will be able to rejoice together, or.................commiserate.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on June 1st, 2015, 4:12 pm 

Watson » June 1st, 2015, 3:06 pm wrote:I think this will be instead of W7, not in addition to it. Yes we what to know what is new and how it is different. I looked at the FAQ and there was no mention of such.

We'll go down together. We will be able to rejoice together, or.................commiserate.

Right. It is a replacement for 7 or whatever you have. And it is the last number we'll see. MS plans to just keep updating it instead of going 100% new every two years. Or so they say. Might be a lot of talk.

Their next step is putting everything up there on that cloud and charging us rent for using it.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on June 1st, 2015, 4:15 pm 

Yes Thank you. The start menu is back? Only the greatest cause of hair loss, when they took it off W8.

Yes that is the pasture I mentioned. Free to get in, but only if you a carrying you credit card, that you register at the gate.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on June 2nd, 2015, 1:46 pm 

This does it. Any salesman can brag about the good but make him tell the bad. From The Verge - the limitations.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/869694 ... ss?ref=yfp
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on June 2nd, 2015, 2:09 pm 

I found this linked to your page. Sounds like lots of reasons to rush this to market before it's ready. I think I'll wait, may be until spring, to give them time to correct the issues they already know about.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/2/870419 ... s-10-ready
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on June 2nd, 2015, 2:26 pm 

Thank you, Watson. I'll wait also. Just keep quoting my English teacher: "Be not the first....."
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on July 26th, 2016, 6:53 pm 

Well Vivian, looks like I'll be holding my noise and down loading the evil. As of Friday it is no longer a free down load. Personally I think it is a cheap trick. After all, if we don't want it for free, we sure a heck don't want to pay for it. On the other hand, at some point we (collective we) will have to upgrade to something and sound like W10 is it. And hopefully they have worked out the initial fleas.

So here I go. Wish me luck.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on July 26th, 2016, 7:11 pm 

I broke down and got bloody w10 about two months ago. Mostly it's no trouble, but once in a while, for no reason, the whole system freezes. Not responding. Can't turn it off. Nothing. Have to flip the laptop upside-down, take the battery out, turn off the power-bar and let it all go dark. When I start it up again, it's usually fine. So I've just left the battery out for convenience and gotten used to losing unfinished text and a life in Cradle of Rome. The same thing happens with the dedicated entertainment one, but far less often.

On our more important business computer, the damn thing was incompatible with several programs we really need, and it took two full days to purge it, strip down to factory condition, reload W7 and every p4rogram and data file. Gaaahhh!
I hear somebody won a lawsuit for the same thing.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on July 27th, 2016, 7:05 am 

I wish you luck, Watson, but I fear you need more than luck with W 10. You've no doubt read Serpent's post. This is what a number of my friends have said. The biggest frustration is how often it freezes up. A friend is feeling happy that she still has XP. So far, they've not tried to take out XP.

Serpent, hold onto that W7 if you can. Keep an eagle eye on them. Good luck to you, too.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on July 27th, 2016, 8:31 am 

Well, so far so good. It is a bit different, like expected, but an ok start.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on July 27th, 2016, 9:01 am 

Watson » July 27th, 2016, 7:31 am wrote:Well, so far so good. It is a bit different, like expected, but an ok start.

Good. Basically, it didn't look too bad. It was that freezing up that friends talked about. Good luck.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on July 27th, 2016, 8:16 pm 

vivian maxine » July 27th, 2016, 6:05 am wrote:A friend is feeling happy that she still has XP.

That says a lot!!
Serpent, hold onto that W7 if you can.

We do, but when Microsoft stops supporting it, we're pretty much screwed. Netflix and You Tube demand a newer system to run on, so we really didn't have any choice about downloading it to the entertainment computer. Had to try it three times and reconfigure the damn thing, but it's finally working. No incompatible programs on there.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on July 27th, 2016, 8:58 pm 

It is all part of the plan to keep us buying something new.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on July 27th, 2016, 9:37 pm 

No kidding, it has already been asking for payment for something I clicked on, to upgrade. And it only took 2 hours to get the printer to print. Now I can't find the word program I just used 3 hours ago. I suppose it could be worse, but not much more frustrating.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on July 27th, 2016, 9:42 pm 

It will offer you all kinds of apps and upgrades - including an even more annoying office helper than that stupid bicycle/paperclip thing. Just keep saying NO: the less of the damned thing you have on your computer - talk about obese-ware!! - the less can go wrong. And don't let it set to update automatically; make it ask.
Serpent
Resident Member

Watson liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on July 28th, 2016, 1:38 am 

Serpent » July 27th, 2016, 8:42 pm wrote:It will offer you all kinds of apps and upgrades - including an even more annoying office helper than that stupid bicycle/paperclip thing. Just keep saying NO: the less of the damned thing you have on your computer - talk about obese-ware!! - the less can go wrong. And don't let it set to update automatically; make it ask.

Make it ask and then read every jibbet of what it says it is going to do. The finer the print and the more hidden in lower corners it is, the more you want to read. That is how I happened to find it planning to download Windows 10 onto my machine before it even got noisy about doing so.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on July 28th, 2016, 8:30 am 

No problems today. Of course I haven't tried to do anything yet. Just turned it on. Turning it off last night was not an easy task. I just wanted sleep mode. Much later I just wanted to turn it off, without the hard crash of unplugging it. I finally found both options.
I understand some of it is just learning what all the shiny new buttons do, but being forced to use a product with increased levels of monitization and manipulation makes it morally wrong. But that is the direction we go.
Watson
Resident Member

Next

Return to Computers