Crashed Hard Drive.

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

Crashed Hard Drive.

Postby Watson on February 6th, 2013, 11:25 am 

My computer crashed the other day, and the repair shop said it was a corrupted hard drive. Their fix was to replace the hard drive and up grade the Windows Vista to Windows 8. I have the old hard drive in a box, and every day I realize yet another file is in the box instead of on my computer.

Is there a way to plug in to my old hard drive and get at these files using my upgraded computer?
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Re: Crashed Hard Drive.

Postby Marshall on February 6th, 2013, 12:34 pm 

Sorry to hear this! My laptop disk died back in December---there was no way to recover the files. So I have some idea of how unpleasant disconcerting and just plain inconvenient it can be. Hopefully if your old disK can still limp along you can still get some files off it.
Marshall

Postby moranity on February 6th, 2013, 1:19 pm 

hi Watson,
ya can generally get files off a hard disk, ya need a usb hardrive cady either sata or ide depending on the drive, ya can insert ya drive into this and hopefully get the files off of it.
there are programs you can use that will even get stuff off of very damaged drives.
but it all depends on wether the drive will spin up at all
moranity

Postby owleye on February 6th, 2013, 1:53 pm 

Where there's a will, there's a way. Moranity points one way, one that you can probably go online (google) to locate companies that can do that for you. Indeed, drive manufacturers probably have machines that can read the medium without having to make use of the "readers" that are part of their products. The FBI undoubtedly has many of these machines as well. Perhaps even the archivists at the Smithsonian have the technology to accomplish this. One can conclude, then, that in addition to a will that yields a way, one needs resources.

Making use of automatic backup technology, however, makes drive replacement the best approach, not that anyone suffering from a crash will be allayed by such a message.

James
owleye

Postby moranity on February 6th, 2013, 2:08 pm 

yes, forensic data retrieval can get data just off the actual internal platters, but ya talking £600 odd for that
the cady will cost ya £20 and ya can do it yourself
or if ya willing the get ya hands dirty ya can take the side off ya pc and plug that hardrive in and see if it mounts etc
moranity

Postby Watson on February 6th, 2013, 2:15 pm 

Thank you all. I was hoping there was some kind of patch cord.
The drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 Gbytes.

The repair shop did say the information could likely be recovered from their inspection, but it would be a few hundred dollars. Would the Sata or Ide make it an external hard drive or just give access to retrieve the files and programs.

Window word and office programs are in there, all my photos. The more I find missing the more I think a few hundred is worth it.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Jordan on February 6th, 2013, 3:14 pm 

Most modern motherboards support more than one hard-drive, you could add the original as a second drive (data) and boot from the new one. You would require a second set of cables just like those connecting the new hard-drive to the motherboard. One for data transfer and one for power supply. You would then potentially be able to check the disk for errors and retrieve your files depending on the problem and extent of damage. By right clicking on the damaged drive in the windows explorer/My Computer browser you will have an option to check the disk for errors and attempt recovery (right click drive > Properties > Tools). You could also just browse the HD for files and copy them over or perform a search for specific ones or file types.

Although with an issue like this I would seek advise here before committing to anything.
Jordan

Postby Dave_Oblad on February 6th, 2013, 6:25 pm 

Hi Watson,

Sorry to hear of your woe's, been there.. done that.

If you have a Lap Top.. pay the money. But if you have an older desk top computer, then do as Jordan suggests. Connect your old drive via the IDE cable and power cable, Set the jumper on the back of the drive to slave. Boot your system and go to the Bios at the startup prompt. Tell bios to search for a new drive and hopefuly it will find it and register it. Now finish the PC boot up and go to MyComputer as see if it appears IE: Drive "D" etc.

Then copy what files you want to retrieve to folders on your new drive. You may still have to re-install the application programs on your new drive. Some may still operate where they are on the old drive, many factors involved here.

Also, I'd think twice about an upgrade to Windows-8. Or even 7 or especially Vista. I refuse to go past XP. Vista plain sucks.. Windows 7 is ok, but it is a paranoid platform. And Windows-8 wants you to buy all the previously standard free programs from their new App store on a per basis.

Also, if you are salvaging your old mother board, it may not be fast enough to support the higher platforms. So it will run SSSSLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWW.

My last upgrade was to a new mother board dual-core 4gig processor and 8gig of ram. But I insisted on an XP platform. Works great and so far.. has run every program I have installed that recomends Windows-7 or better. Eventually, I may be forced to upgrade platforms.. but I will sorely miss XP. I still run old Dos and Windows-3, Windows-95, Windows 98-SE programs on my good ol XP.

Hope this helps my friend,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby moranity on February 7th, 2013, 6:39 am 

I agree with Dave, dont go for windows 8 at all.
that hardrive sounds like a sata drive, there are even usb to sata cables that will work with it, ya just plug the cable into the hardrive. with a caddy it will turn it into a useful external drive.
Dave suggested plugging it into ya pc as a second internal drive, which is fine, but ya may not be comfortable being that hands on. The caddy will allow you to get the files off, but also use the drive again if it seems to be behaving itself.
computer shops will always take the easiest and most expensive route for solving any problem, so the drive may be absolutely fine.
if ya do get a caddy and ya cant read the disk when ya boot windows, i'll have further advice from there
moranity

Postby Watson on February 7th, 2013, 12:03 pm 

Thanks again for all the advise. Sorry to say, windows 8 is what I have now installed. I was told it is more compatible with my HP touch smart IQ500 than the vista was. With what I learned here, I was able to google the terms and learn more and found a local store that has the caddy, I think. I'll take the HD in and ask them next time I'm in to the city. Thanks to all of you, I'll have some degree of knowledge going in.

I just wish there was something nice said about windows 8. Feels like I went from vista to worse.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby moranity on February 7th, 2013, 5:06 pm 

if ya hate windows 8 there is always linux alternatives like ubuntu etc, i use ubuntu and kubuntu for most of my pc-ing and only use windows for gaming, which will change eventually i hope, with "steam", valve's(makers of halflife, etc) software distribution system
i have also installed ubuntu on novices pc's and they get on ok with it, is much simpler for most people who just want to browse the net and maybe do a letter
moranity

Postby Watson on February 12th, 2013, 2:12 pm 

I took the HD in to see about a caddy, but they plugged it in to their equipment and got an error message so that option is not workable. I guess I'll have to decide how much value is on there, at a later date.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby moranity on February 12th, 2013, 8:35 pm 

there are programs you can use to retrieve the data aslong as the drive even spins at all, i've got stuff off of really messed up drives just with normal kit and these programs.
if ya willing to persevere, i could talk ya through the process, it will probably do the drive no harm.
ya'd learn alot, but is alot of effort and i'd need to look all the details up, so would be a slow process, as i'm lazy, but do love solving computer problems without spending large amounts of cash.
it depends on what kind of error message the shop got, as to wether it's a hopeless task.
a disk's file allocation table can get corrupted which means the files are not indexed and cannot be retrieved in the normal way, but there are programs that can retrieve the files in such a situation.
sometimes i've had a disk that can't be read in windows but is read easily enough from a linux system.
moranity

Postby freeUsAll on March 5th, 2013, 8:39 pm 

Same experience here, you can also try using disk repair tools such as http://www.hdat2.com/
The HHD caddy can be used for this, even if in the shop they just get an error, my experience is they have absolutely no idea, a repair shop is a diferent story though, but they will make the most of your ignorance in these matters. Get a caddy, 20$, and download the program (or another one), then run it on your disk, and try and recover as much as you can. (I would also highly highly recommend downloading clonezilla, and macking a bakcup image of yout OLD HDD before trying anything else, you might well need it. Also, it will make a raw copy, and if it does that, you KNOW there is hope!! Good luck!
freeUsAll

Postby Watson on March 5th, 2013, 9:52 pm 

Thanks both and moranity I hope to have a caddy in the next few weeks, so I'll take you up on that if you have the time, or other options. It will be a learning experience for me, for sure.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby moranity on March 6th, 2013, 10:51 am 

cool stuff, Watson, it's definitely worth a bash with the caddy.
moranity

Postby Watson on March 6th, 2013, 11:39 am 

Yes I keep looking for stuff and realize it is in the box with the HD.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby freeUsAll on March 7th, 2013, 11:18 am 

Even if you do follow a guided recovery process, do not forget to run the clonezilla backup, I've almost lost many many GB's due to recovery processes. I can't stress that enough.
freeUsAll

Return to Computers