Bots??

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

Bots??

Postby Watson on February 22nd, 2012, 7:33 pm 

What do these things do, and why are they registered user on this forum?

Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot]
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Re: Bots??

Postby Watson on February 24th, 2012, 11:19 am 

[Internet bots, also known as web robots, WWW robots or simply bots, are software applications that run automated tasks over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering, in which an automated script fetches, analyzes and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. Each server can have a file called robots.txt, containing rules for the spidering of that server that the bot is supposed to obey.

In addition to their uses outlined above, bots may also be implemented where a response speed faster than that of humans is required (e.g., gaming bots and auction-site robots) or less commonly in situations where the emulation of human activity is required, for example chat bots. Recently bots have been used for search advertising, such as Google Adsense.]

But what function are they performing here?
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Watson on February 24th, 2012, 12:18 pm 

Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot]

These are the bots here now, same as before. Do they come and go, stay here all the time? And they are registered, so I guess that gives them access. What else is google doing, to need two bots?
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Whut on February 24th, 2012, 1:34 pm 

Watson wrote:Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot]

These are the bots here now, same as before. Do they come and go, stay here all the time? And they are registered, so I guess that gives them access. What else is google doing, to need two bots?

One of them gathers info, to decide what type of Ad's to show on your computer, I'm guessing.
Whut

Postby Watson on February 25th, 2012, 12:49 am 

So these ad bots check out our computers and then post ads on our screens based on the information they find on our computers? I suppose we concent to this in some implied form?
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Olala on February 25th, 2012, 5:35 am 

Watson wrote:So these ad bots check out our computers and then post ads on our screens based on the information they find on our computers? I suppose we concent to this in some implied form?

O.0)? i didn't read anything that said
is it ok if our server reads your google web links.
where does it say that????????
Olala

Postby Watson on February 25th, 2012, 12:34 pm 

Olala wrote:
Watson wrote:So these ad bots check out our computers and then post ads on our screens based on the information they find on our computers? I suppose we concent to this in some implied form?

O.0)? i didn't read anything that said
is it ok if our server reads your google web links.
where does it say that????????

I have no idea of the answer you seek,
into the computer,
or small print we should seek?
This could take some days
or even a week,
If you look, finding spiders,
then you can freak,
but do not distrurb others
and keep it a squeak.

Message to Olala, Olala style;b
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Watson on February 25th, 2012, 9:22 pm 

Watson wrote:
I have no idea of the answer you seek,
into the computer,
or small print we should peek?
This could take some days
or even a week,
If you look, finding spiders,
then you can freak,
but do not distrurb others
and keep it a squeak.

Message to Olala, Olala style;b

Sorry I had one small but important spelling error, but the edit buttom timed out?
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Julius.Clark on August 1st, 2013, 3:24 am 

Bot is also known as crawler or spider which are some king of algorithm or programs used by search engines to crawl web and index whatever useful is updated on internet so that when any user searches for some queries they could get possible appropriate results.
Julius.Clark

Postby JohnD on August 1st, 2013, 3:33 am 

I gather from having read something about advertising on Google that we don't opt in to advertising rather we have the option to opt out.
But lets call bots for what they are computerised spies, used by companies like Google but also by governments.
JohnD

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Obvious Leo on August 1st, 2013, 4:15 am 

This has got me worried because most of the ads I get are from hot babes living just around the corner from me. Is there something someone's not telling me?

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo

Postby Obvious Leo on August 2nd, 2013, 5:11 pm 

This is truly spooky. Now I'm getting pop-up ads on how to improve my golf swing. Am I being paranoid or are they really coming to get me? Big brother never sleeps, it seems.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo

Postby Natural ChemE on August 6th, 2013, 2:19 pm 

Just to answer general questions…

Bots like “Exabot [Bot]” and “Google [Bot]” search the forums for information to help in searches. i.e., if you Google terms associated with a thread here, it may show up in a Google search due to the information collected from “Google [Bot]”.

I’m less sure about “Google Adsense [Bot]”, but I think that it tries to survey what a webpage has on it to better target ads on that webpage to those who would read it. For example, a thread heavy on words about online colleges might be more likely to have ads related to online colleges. For another, on the Foreign Police Officers Allowed to Stop You in Your Country? thread, I see an ad for viewing arrest records online.

But another major factor in ads are the cookies on your computer. i.e., Obvious Leo, if you’re getting a lot of ads for hot babes on the banners below, it’s likely because Google thinks that, based on your past web browsing, you’re likely to be interested in hot babes. Thoroughly clearing all of the cookies on your computer may temporarily change this.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Obvious Leo on August 6th, 2013, 2:33 pm 

I fear that Google's taste in babes may not be compatible with my own so I can safely ignore them. However I don't like the ones that say there is something or other wrong with your computer "click here now'. I never do it but maybe a techno-moron should take advice and get some of the crap cleaned out.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo

Postby Natural ChemE on August 6th, 2013, 2:46 pm 

Obvious Leo wrote:However I don't like the ones that say there is something or other wrong with your computer "click here now'. I never do it but maybe a techno-moron should take advice and get some of the crap cleaned out.

Generally speaking, it’s strongly advisable that no one ever click an ad like that.

Downloading a program is to your computer what injecting a foreign substance into your veins is to you. Generally you should only get your foreign substances from a well qualified doctor, and even then, considerable discretion is advisable. Ditto for your computer and what you put into it.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Gregorygregg1 on August 6th, 2013, 3:26 pm 

Obvious Leo wrote:This is truly spooky. Now I'm getting pop-up ads on how to improve my golf swing. Am I being paranoid or are they really coming to get me? Big brother never sleeps, it seems.

Regards Leo

Funny, all the adds I get are from remedial education sites and institutes for the mentally disadvantaged. Oh, and local hot babes too. Do you think they have my number? My wife says I'm an imbecile won't take off the parental controls so I can sign up for the hot babe sites. Maybe she has been blabbing to Google.
Gregorygregg1

Postby Obvious Leo on August 6th, 2013, 5:41 pm 

[quote="Natural ChemE"]Generally speaking, it’s strongly advisable that no one ever click an ad like that.Downloading a program is to your computer what injecting a foreign substance into your veins is to you. Generally you should only get your foreign substances from a well qualified doctor, and even then, considerable discretion is advisable. Ditto for your computer and what you put into it.

Good advice which I strictly adhere to. I'm well aware of my limitations and periodically get one of my kids to clean all the crap out of my computer. But I'm still somewhat baffled as to where it all might come from.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo

Return to Computers