AI Class

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

AI Class

Postby Natural ChemE on September 20th, 2011, 12:20 pm 

An AI course is being offered at www.AI-Class.com from Oct. 10 to Dec. 18, 2011. Enrollment will be open until Oct. 9. It's free and has two options: Stanford-level rigor* and a basic version. Folks who complete the more rigorous route get a certificate at the end of it.

The professors have some pretty impressive credentials. One's a research professor at Stanford, a member of the National Academy of Engineering, and a Google fellow. The other's Director of Research at Google!

If anyone does sign up for either route, please, let us know about your experiences!

*I should mention that "Stanford-level rigor" should be taken in context. It's a low-level undergrad elective intro course. I pointed out that it's a Stanford class put online just so readers don't dismiss it entirely, but I hope that "Stanford-level rigor" doesn't scare anyone away from what I expect to be a fun class.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Re: AI Class

Postby kidjan on September 28th, 2011, 5:18 pm 

Yeah, I'm signed up for the Stanford-level rigor version. I'll let you know what I think of the class, maybe post stuff here as I go...
kidjan

Postby psionic11 on September 29th, 2011, 7:29 pm 

I'm signed up for the advanced version as well. Up-to-date AI tech, woot!

Also going to the 100 Year Starship Study convention tomorrow.
psionic11

Postby psionic11 on October 1st, 2011, 2:00 am 

Here's a link to the textbook that will be used in the AI class:

http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/

Scroll down for the Table of Contents and other useful links. Some heavy duty reading to do...
psionic11

Postby kidjan on October 1st, 2011, 11:52 am 

Hrm....is the book available for free online anywhere? Or do I need to purchase a copy?
kidjan

Postby psionic11 on October 2nd, 2011, 12:32 am 

The text is optional. I googled for a ebook pdf of it and found several links.

Yikes, the class begun already! I was waiting for a class start email, but in responding this post went to ai-class.com online to get a status update. The online schedule is slightly different from the PPT presentation which I'm reading now. Not sure if first assignment is due tomorrow Oct 2 or if it was due Sep 28. Apparently you have 6 late days for assignments you can accumulate.

I was also expecting video lectures for each section, but haven't found any yet. Let me know if you find anything.

EDIT: Looks like the online class is supposed to start one week after the physical class. So start date is Oct 10... first assignment due Oct 16. I think...
psionic11

Postby Natural ChemE on October 13th, 2011, 8:53 pm 

Listening to the first lecture now. It's painfully trivial so far, but I guess that's to be expected.

I don't like how they split up "fully observable vs. partially observable" and "deterministic vs. stochastic". I get that it's a useful simplification that can be applied, but they come off as suggesting that there's a difference between a situation being partially observable and a situation being stochastic.

The worst part of this class, though? It reminds me how much I hate ChemE and want to do something more fun. =P
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby psionic11 on October 14th, 2011, 12:10 am 

I'm enjoying the class so far, wish I'd get a bit more disciplined to study daily now as I expect to see difficulty ramp up very quickly.

Stochastic versus partially observable -- I see many needs for the distinction:

-- approaching wildfire in the distance, strong winds blowing towards you in favor of the blaze, river behind you to cut off its advance: partially observable, strongly deterministic

-- hacker studying past moves of an AI chess program: partially observable growing more and more fully observable with minimum stochastic influence

-- ant/bee communicating with fellow insects regarding distant food source: partially observable, fully deterministic

-- natural language agent assimilating contextual language translation cues and experiences: non-stochastic, partially observable

-- AI poker dealer: full observation of the cards available in the deck, hampered by stochastic algorithms to deal the cards; also, player decisions are both stochastic and deterministic

-- past lottery results: maximum stochastic results that are fully observable

Looking forward to more discussions as the class progresses...
psionic11

Postby psionic11 on October 19th, 2011, 10:24 pm 

Didn't do so well on the first homework assignment. I only got 64%...

I misinterpreted how depth-first search works. That, and a couple minor errors all added up. This class is going to be tough to keep up with. The onslaught of new ideas and the volume of videos and reading to do on a weekly basis puts my one actual community college class to shame. Let's see how long I last at the "advanced" level...
psionic11

Postby kidjan on October 20th, 2011, 5:21 pm 

I did well on the first homework (terrible on the quizzes though). I have to admit something about Norvig's lecture style throws me, and I felt like some of the presentations could have really used a bit more polish. In particular, the depth/breadth stuff was a little academic and presented sort of funny. I'd almost prefer they skip it, since neither is conceptually that hard to follow or really that important to understand perfectly.

That said, I immensely enjoyed the A* search algorithm. I thought it was really a clever, clean and simple solution to the problem. Just learning about that made the whole class worth it to me.
kidjan

Postby Natural ChemE on November 26th, 2011, 12:41 am 

I hate to say it but I've gotten slammed lately with work. I'm pretty sure that I've failed the class since I haven't logged in in over a month. =/

When and if I get more free time, I'll go through and watch the lectures. While I feel bad that I wasn't able to complete the class normally, getting the course content was my main motivation.

Have they covered any more interesting stuff lately?
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby psionic11 on November 27th, 2011, 12:12 am 

My project management class has taken priority, and even with that I'm falling behind my own set deadlines. I dropped the AI class awhile ago. More than I could handle this semester.

Hopefully they'll keep the material online for review throughout the next year. Good luck to those of you in it for the long run.
psionic11

Return to Computers