Italian museum burns artworks in protest at cuts

Anyone can post and discuss general news articles. Please be sure to adhere to posting guidelines.

Moderator: Sisyphus

Italian museum burns artworks in protest at cuts

Postby weakmagneto on April 18th, 2012, 9:10 pm 

18 April 2012
BBC News

A museum in Italy has started burning its artworks in protest at budget cuts which it says have left cultural institutions out of pocket.

Antonio Manfredi, of the Casoria Contemporary Art Museum in Naples, set fire to the first painting on Tuesday.

"Our 1,000 artworks are headed for destruction anyway because of the government's indifference," he said.

The work was by French artist Severine Bourguignon, who was in favour of the protest and watched it online.

Mr Manfredi plans to burn three paintings a week from now on, in a protest he has dubbed "Art War".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17754129
weakmagneto
Forum Moderator

Likes received: 0
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Italian museum burns artworks in protest at cuts

Postby BadgerJelly on April 18th, 2012, 9:13 pm 

Shoot them!

Its like saying you're against child abuse and threatening to kill 5 children a day until someone does something.

INSANE
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Likes received: 1
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Watson on April 18th, 2012, 9:33 pm 

If the artist is part of ther protest then find, but to burn art in protest for any reason or cause, is just talabanistic, brain dead, abused of authority and is so intolerable. But if this person is willing to burn it and the artist agrees, maybe it is not art.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby BadgerJelly on April 18th, 2012, 9:52 pm 

Watson wrote:If the artist is part of ther protest then find, but to burn art in protest for any reason or cause, is just talabanistic, brain dead, abused of authority and is so intolerable. But if this person is willing to burn it and the artist agrees, maybe it is not art.

I just got mad at the thought of someone burning art. If the artist was okay with it then so am I, and I retract my hasty statement :S
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Likes received: 1

Postby Watson on April 18th, 2012, 10:16 pm 

No, go with your first thought. Either the artist is very committed to the cause, or not very committed or invested in the art. From the video, I think the artist would be happy to burn the work and stand proud, but injured. II'd like to see the art prior to burning it. Some "ART" takes time and talent, and some art takes neither.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby newyear on April 19th, 2012, 1:01 pm 

It does seem like a strange way to protest.

The art that was going to hang in the museum would be produced anyway. Which means, if the museum was closed. and not just re-budgeted, would not affect the works, just their form of distribution.

Which makes me think that the museum director doesn't much care for works of art, but the building he happens to be director of. I get to Italy often, and they have a problem, like here in Spain, in that funding has been given to many of a particular political leaning, regardless of how the funding is going to be repaid.

I don't think that Naples would suffer by having their contemporary art museum re-structured. Perhaps the director has already started by burning those works that would cost more to return than save.
newyear

Return to Other News