Resveratrol: Study Restores Hope for Anti-Aging Pill

Anyone can post and discuss science news articles. Please be sure to adhere to posting guidelines.

Moderator: Sisyphus

Resveratrol: Study Restores Hope for Anti-Aging Pill

Postby weakmagneto on May 1st, 2012, 5:12 pm 

Resveratrol: Study Resolves Controversy On Life-Extending Red Wine Ingredient, Restores Hope for Anti-Aging Pill
ScienceDaily (May 1, 2012)

A study in the May issue of the Cell Press journal Cell Metabolism appears to offer vindication for an approach to anti-aging drugs that has been at the center of heated scientific debate in recent years. The new findings show for the first time that the metabolic benefits of the red wine ingredient known as resveratrol evaporate in mice that lack the famed longevity gene SIRT1.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 134209.htm
weakmagneto
Forum Moderator

Likes received:5
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Resveratrol: Study Restores Hope for Anti-Aging Pill

Postby Athena on May 4th, 2012, 10:49 pm 

So should I start drinking a glass of red wine daily or not? Why not just eat red grapes?

Red grapes as well as teas and strawberries, have taninis and that isn't good for our liver. Trying to figure out the best diet for optimum health is a challenge.
Athena

Likes received:10

Postby vigiea68 on June 5th, 2012, 4:37 pm 

Resveratrol is a good buy. I heard and read many testimonials from its users that they achieve great results from it.
vigiea68
Forum Neophyte

Postby BioWizard on June 5th, 2012, 5:16 pm 

It's good that they've established the primary "drug" target.

Athena, if I'm going to include resveratrol in my diet for the aforementioned benefits, I'd probably include it as a supplement, not from red wine and not from red grapes.
BioWizard
Science Admin

Likes received:67
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Athena on June 8th, 2012, 7:52 pm 

BioWizard, please explain. I checked the link again, and see a whole bunch of problems that may be avoided with red wine. Actually, I did start drinking a glass of wine a day, along with a small dish of Greek yogurt. The pleasure of this combination of foods at the end of the day, may be too great for me to give up now. I have added ccinnamon capsules to my daily intake to help metabolize fats and sugars, because my sugar level is a bit high, and I need to counterbalance the increased consumption of sugar and fat.

If my clothes get too tight, I will have to stop the increased calories, but for now I am feeling good.

I am considering using the E- cigarette for nicotine. Nicotine may retard the development of Parkinson and Alzheimer's disease. I was addicted to caffeine and nicotine for many years, and I miss the effect of this combination of drugs. But normal aging changes could effect me more than the drugs? That is my concentration may never be as good as it once was?

I really like the benefits of aging, but not the side effects.
Athena

Postby BioWizard on June 8th, 2012, 10:06 pm 

My philosophy is do what feels good and makes you happy, even if it doesn't give you the promised physiological results, as long as it doesn't negate them.

I'd opt for the supplement cause I could probably get a more bioavailability without the trouble of having to buy/store/drink wine every night (which does contain some harmful stuff). Although I'm not sure I will start doing either yet. I eat a relatively good diet and exercise regularly with lots of cardio. That's good enough for me.
BioWizard
Science Admin

Postby Gregorygregg1 on June 8th, 2012, 11:19 pm 

Athena wrote:BioWizard, please explain. I checked the link again, and see a whole bunch of problems that may be avoided with red wine. Actually, I did start drinking a glass of wine a day, along with a small dish of Greek yogurt. The pleasure of this combination of foods at the end of the day, may be too great for me to give up now. I have added ccinnamon capsules to my daily intake to help metabolize fats and sugars, because my sugar level is a bit high, and I need to counterbalance the increased consumption of sugar and fat.

If my clothes get too tight, I will have to stop the increased calories, but for now I am feeling good.

I am considering using the E- cigarette for nicotine. Nicotine may retard the development of Parkinson and Alzheimer's disease. I was addicted to caffeine and nicotine for many years, and I miss the effect of this combination of drugs. But normal aging changes could effect me more than the drugs? That is my concentration may never be as good as it once was?

Let's start with red wine and start adding all the things that delight us, all of course in moderation. If we don't live any longer, at least we will live happier.
Gregorygregg1

Likes received:12

Postby moranity on June 9th, 2012, 6:35 am 

athena, ecigs are just as bad as smoking, it would seem because nicotene stops injured cells from killing themselves, it is nicotene itself that causes cancer, not the "carcinogens" that damage the lungs, many many things damage cells, which then kill themselves, thats the way we work, what nicotene does is prevent the cell from killing itself. chewing tobacco does not damage cells, but it causes mouth cancer because cells that are damaged in normal activity refuse to kill themselves and may turn cancerous. Nicotene inhibits apoptosis, just google that.
moranity

Likes received:2

Postby Athena on June 9th, 2012, 5:51 pm 

moranity wrote:athena, ecigs are just as bad as smoking, it would seem because nicotene stops injured cells from killing themselves, it is nicotene itself that causes cancer, not the "carcinogens" that damage the lungs, many many things damage cells, which then kill themselves, thats the way we work, what nicotene does is prevent the cell from killing itself. chewing tobacco does not damage cells, but it causes mouth cancer because cells that are damaged in normal activity refuse to kill themselves and may turn cancerous. Nicotene inhibits apoptosis, just google that.

Everything is bad for us, however, sometimes the benefits out weigh the possible harm. Alzheimer's Disease and Parkinson are really destructive, and nicotine can slow the destruction. I am not sure what this abstract is saying, but I think there is a medical use for nicotine?

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15208804

Modulation of neurotrophic factor expression may constitute an important part of neuroprotective effects of nicotine. Therefore, the effects of nicotine on expression of nerve growth factor (NGF) and its receptor, tyrosine receptor kinase A (trkA), were studied in cultured spinal cord neurons treated with arachidonic acid. Because injury to spinal cord is associated with elevated levels of arachidonic acid, this cell culture system has been developed in our laboratory as an in vitro model of neuronal injury in spinal cord trauma. Treatment with nicotine markedly upregulated NGF mRNA and protein expression in spinal cord neurons. In addition, a 12 h treatment with nicotine increased mRNA levels of trkA. Both nicotine and exogenous NGF inhibited arachidonic acid induced apoptosis of spinal cord neurons. However, the blockage of the trkA receptor prevented nicotine-mediated anti-apoptotic effects. The present results indicate that increased expression of NGF may be an important element of the neuroprotective effects of nicotine in injured spinal cord neurons.
Athena

Postby Athena on June 9th, 2012, 5:57 pm 

Gregorygregg1 wrote:
Athena wrote:BioWizard, please explain. I checked the link again, and see a whole bunch of problems that may be avoided with red wine. Actually, I did start drinking a glass of wine a day, along with a small dish of Greek yogurt. The pleasure of this combination of foods at the end of the day, may be too great for me to give up now. I have added ccinnamon capsules to my daily intake to help metabolize fats and sugars, because my sugar level is a bit high, and I need to counterbalance the increased consumption of sugar and fat.

Let's start with red wine and start adding all the things that delight us, all of course in moderation. If we don't live any longer, at least we will live happier.

I chided a doctor for smoking a pipe and he told me this joke:

A man asked his doctor how he could live to be 100, and the doctor don't drink or smoke and don't chase women. Excitedly he asked, will the make live to be a hundred? No, replied the doctor, but you feel like it.
Athena

Postby moranity on June 10th, 2012, 6:47 am 

yes athena,
nicotene does prevent cell death, but we need cell death to not get cancer(i smoke, by the way). cell death and replacement is an essential process.
moranity

Postby Athena on June 15th, 2012, 3:53 pm 

moranity wrote:yes athena,
nicotene does prevent cell death, but we need cell death to not get cancer(i smoke, by the way). cell death and replacement is an essential process.

But scientifically, perhaps if one has Parkinson or Alzheimer's disease, slowing down the death of cells is a good thing? This is not about wanting to smoke, but wanting to improve and protect my mental function. I have not been diagnosed with one of these diseases but Alzheimer's runs in my family and normal aging can make us worry about having it. Obviously we want to protect ourselves, and I really care about the facts.

I would just start smoking to see if it improves my concentration, as it once did. I would spend hours totally focused on my writing, using caffeine and nicotine, and produced some pretty good stuff, but I don't want trigger the craving and spend my money that way, unless it is really worth it. If it would get me focused enough to produce the book I want to write, I would smoke, but cigarettes will not make up for lack of skill and real work. This is sort of which comes first the chicken or the egg, thinking. If I improve my concentration, will achieve the rest?
Athena

Postby Paralith on June 15th, 2012, 7:04 pm 

Athena wrote:But scientifically, perhaps if one has Parkinson or Alzheimer's disease, slowing down the death of cells is a good thing?

It's not as simple as "is death of cells good or bad?" Certain cells need to die at certain times, and as a process cell death is carefully controlled all throughout your body. It's when this process does not occur the way it's supposed to that you have problems. Introducing a foreign agent into your body that effects cell death haphazardly is unlikely to produce long term net benefits. Even if some tissues happen to benefit from it, others will inevitably be harmed by it.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Likes received:78
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Athena on June 15th, 2012, 10:34 pm 

Paralith wrote:
Athena wrote:But scientifically, perhaps if one has Parkinson or Alzheimer's disease, slowing down the death of cells is a good thing?

It's not as simple as "is death of cells good or bad?" Certain cells need to die at certain times, and as a process cell death is carefully controlled all throughout your body. It's when this process does not occur the way it's supposed to that you have problems. Introducing a foreign agent into your body that effects cell death haphazardly is unlikely to produce long term net benefits. Even if some tissues happen to benefit from it, others will inevitably be harmed by it.

Yeah, if I ever get diagnosed with Alzheimer's another deadly disease would be a good thing. ALS is also a terrible way to go, and from what I have gathered, Parkinson is also a bad way to go. For me, the goal would not extending my life, but making my mind and body as useful as possible, and shortening my life would be a good thing. Like there are better ways to go than those diseases. I cared for my grandmother with Alzheimer's and my mother who died of ALS. I would welcome an easier way out.
Athena

Postby moranity on June 16th, 2012, 5:05 am 

i'm not sure about nicotene's role in increased concentration, my own experience on that is mixed, it seems what you gain specifically in concentration, ie five minutes of good concentration, you loose generally, i.e. your concentration is generally less and the general research seems to agree, you do not benefit, concentration wise, overall, from nicotene.
but the cell death thing seems pretty definite, and so, it may benefit an 80 year old to ingest nicotene to stave off cell death
also, i saw one study recomending massive(near fatal) nicotene intake to temporary survival of otherwise fatal levels of radiation, always keep a pack of fags on ya incase of nuclear attack.
moranity

Postby Athena on June 16th, 2012, 10:38 am 

moranity wrote:i'm not sure about nicotene's role in increased concentration, my own experience on that is mixed, it seems what you gain specifically in concentration, ie five minutes of good concentration, you loose generally, i.e. your concentration is generally less and the general research seems to agree, you do not benefit, concentration wise, overall, from nicotene.
but the cell death thing seems pretty definite, and so, it may benefit an 80 year old to ingest nicotene to stave off cell death
also, i saw one study recomending massive(near fatal) nicotene intake to temporary survival of otherwise fatal levels of radiation, always keep a pack of fags on ya incase of nuclear attack.

Yeah, I wasn't sure on that, but something was said about using nicotine when having radiation therapy. However, then I think I would use pot? I know this is totally off subject, and I have been off topic for awhile, but one thought leads to another. This thread is not that active anyway, and in general, I am just want to know the best way to get through the later years.
Athena

Postby moranity on June 16th, 2012, 11:00 am 

the purpose of radiation therapy would be to kill off the cancer cells, so would not be good to introduce something that helps them survive.
the research seems to indicate that cannabinoids(the main active ingredients in cannabis) do the reverse of what nicotene does, they inintiate cell death in damaged cells, so may be beneficial for cancer treatments, they also seem to help regulate alot of other body homeostasis systems, so are good for health all round, but THC may not always the best cannabinoid for such things.
moranity

Postby Gregorygregg1 on June 16th, 2012, 12:18 pm 

Being a nurse I have had first hand experience with the long term effects of smoking. It is especially disturbing to watch a patient hold a cigarette to his tracheostomy tube to take a drag. There are a lot of other pleasurable things in this life that we can enjoy instead of smoking...sex for instance.
Gregorygregg1

Likes received:12

Postby BioWizard on June 18th, 2012, 9:55 pm 

Amen to that.
BioWizard
Science Admin

Postby Athena on June 18th, 2012, 10:18 pm 

Gregorygregg1 wrote:

Being a nurse I have had first hand experience with the long term effects of smoking. It is especially disturbing to watch a patient hold a cigarette to his tracheostomy tube to take a drag. There are a lot of other pleasurable things in this life that we can enjoy instead of smoking...sex for instance.

I have never considered sex safe. For most of my life there was the fear of pregnancy. I no sooner resolved that problem and than came herpes and AIDS.

Then there are the emotional complications that go with sex. Men seem better able to avoid the emotional complications. I gather some women can avoid the emotional complications, but I am not one of them.
Athena

Postby BioWizard on June 19th, 2012, 1:14 pm 

Sex doesn't have to mean promiscuous high risk sex. Sex in the context of a loving monogamous relationship can be low risk and extremely fulfilling. Plus, sex was just one example. There's many others, like sports and exercise, playing, cooking, walking, drinking tea or wine, and so on. I smoked very briefly in my early twenties and during that period, it seemed like a cigarette was the only thing that would calm/satisfy me at times. Now, my stomach turns at the very thought of it.
BioWizard
Science Admin

Return to Science News